*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2058787-Surprise
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Dark · #2058787
When you've been part of the game for a while, you have a little fun with your clients.
         I have to say, my favorite part of this job has always been the feeling of fear I see in people the moment they realize something is amiss. People are incredibly perceptive about their own spaces. This guy is no different. He came home not too long ago, utterly exhausted from working all day, so it took him some time to realize something was wrong. What exactly was it, though? The table was set just like he'd left it, the door was locked, the window was- That window was not open, was it? No sir, I purposely left it open from my entrance just to scare you. I've been doing this for way too long and your standard 'in-kill-out' gets a little boring. I have to play with my victims every once in a while.

         I can see the wheels turning in his head as he desperately tries to remember if he left the window open. It was a nice day today, so he very well could have. No idea, I see. Is he going to check his hidden chest, just in case? Yup, there he goes. Now, for an inexperienced whelp who was coming in to this assignment pretty blind that would be helpful. Provided of course, they aren't so inexperienced they take stuff first and tip him off. I've learned though, over the, what, 23 years I've been doing this? that you have to take your time. Follow your victims, know their daily patterns, learn as much as you can about them so you know the perfect moment to strike.

         He seems satisfied that nothing is missing from his box, now to close the window. It's starting to get a bit chilly outside. His muscles have relaxed a bit now that he's content there's nothing wrong. He must have left the window open. Poor bastard has no idea what's coming, nor why. Truth be told, I don't know why either. In this line of work you don't ask as long as they pay, and they certainly paid so here I am. I watch him raise his arms to touch the frame and out I sneak from hiding, drawing my blade in the process. The window clicks and it's like a switch. One minute all is well, the next my hand is over his mouth and my pretty dagger is kissing his neck.

         Grown men like to act all macho, especially around pretty ladies. But I have made more grown men dissolve into a puddle of tears than in all the broken marriages across time, I presume. Once again, he is not an exception. I can taste every bit of fear coming from him and it's delicious. My face is just within his peripheral vision and I flash a wicked smile. "Surprise," I whisper into his ear as I slice his throat.
© Copyright 2015 Linkachu (corgiwolf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2058787-Surprise