*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2060317-In-Search-of-Futures-Past
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Etzio
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2060317
???????????????

In the beginning the terror alerts were nothing more than words. For a short while it kept the terrorists at bay, but soon enough they figured out ways to plan and execute their missions without raising suspicion. The most deadly of all attacks had lasting repercussions.
In the midst of all that was happening the terror cells found an opportunity to attack America at its heart. A small group of operatives infiltrated the security, and managed to sneak onto a military post. In their short period on the base, they planted between 20 and 30 explosive devices, all containing deadly chemical weapons. As the anniversary of 9/11 drew near, the terror level went up, but by that time it was too late.
As the sun rose on the military installation on September 11, 2025 numerous explosions rocked the sleeping country side. The first pictures showed buildings destroyed, and injured people looking for medical assistance. Medical teams arrived on the scene to treat the injured. As the day progressed it became obvious that they were dealing with more than just burns, cuts and abrasions. They began to test for all chemical weapons known. Scientific investigators were brought in to help and identify any possible causes for the symptoms that were coming to light. What the investigators found was worse than they ever anticipated. The data showed what the various chemicals had been released into the air and combined to create an ever mutating virus, the virus became known as "Pandora's Box". The initial diagnosis was that the toxins seemed to affect the hippocampus, the portion of the frontal lobe that controls memory. With further study the scientists discovered that the toxins began to deteriorate the flesh from the inside, beginning at the initial point of entry. In most cases this was the nose or mouth. No one could contain a sample long enough to create a vaccine.
Before any information was given to the press the government made every attempt to isolate and identify the toxins, unfortunately without any luck. The news finally leaked to the press and then ballooned out of control. All governmental agencies tried to control the situation, but panic struck the masses. The fact that no vaccine was known only served to amplify the situation. Riots broke out across the entire nation, looting, and hording of supplies became common place in the news. Pandora's Box kept mutating and spreading, the predicted gestation period for the mutation was estimated to be between two and three months. After that the mutation was predicted to start creating its own anti-toxin. Even this news did not calm the nerves of the nation.
The government agencies all gathered to form a plan of attack, any solution to keep the President and Vice President safe from the contaminants. A unanimous decision to isolate the leaders in the NORAD facility was approved and put into action. All vital documents were secured, and personnel were instructed to pack their personal belongings and prepare for a long stay. Once put into action, the news reached the public eye in no time. With this new information, marshal law was ordered, and the remaining active and national guard units available were put into action. Rumors of several underground bases began to emerge, people began to seek these anomalies to try and survive the oncoming catastrophe.
By the end of the three month gestation period, Pandora's Box had not only continued to mutate but had infected 80% of the planets population. In the end no one claimed responsibility for the attack, leaving the US government holding the bag. By now the virus had eliminated almost every living breathing creature on the face of the planet.
As time passed the virus did mutate into its own anti-toxin, but by the time it had eliminated itself, only handfuls of people survived. Most were too young to remember any of the technological advances of the twentieth century, and those who did survive had been so affected by "Pandora's Box" that they did not have any clue as to how to utilize the machinery or any other equipment.
Time passed and civilization returned to the days before the old west, the time when native tribes wandered the plains, and hunted the wild herds. The once settled peoples of the United States were now nomads, constantly moving, following the herds, their only means of survival. Young children grew to be brave hunters, and elder adults became regarded as the teachers of the ways. As time passed people forgot about the great large cities that littered the planet, and along with them the knowledge of the past. A small curious child was born into one of the nomadic tribes, a tribe known for its selfless people.
"Mother, what was the world like before I was born?"
"Well, pretty much like it is today, but the old ones say that it has not always been this way."
"What do they say?"
"They say that many cycles ago people lived in large stone structures that stretched to the sky, and rode in metal carriages that did not need a horse to pull it."
"That's silly momma, how can a carriage move if it does not have a horse?"
"I don't know, but that is what they say. I have heard say that Shia has proof, but no one dares go ask her about it."
"Why not, is she mean?"
"No, not mean, she is just very untruthful. She likes to stretch the known truth to fit what she thinks the world was like."
"How did the ancient people die?"
"Well no one really knows, but many stories say that the breath of Natas filled their lungs and they began to die from the inside out, and that the pain was so great that it destroyed their minds before their bodies died."
"Is that going to happen to us?"
"I hope not, that is why we greet the morning sun with a prayer, and ask the night stars to watch over us. Now my son, it is time for you to go to sleep."
"But momma I am not tired."
"No buts Broadus, bed time."
Broadus lay in the deer hide blankets and watched as the night sky began to spring to life with stars. As his eyelids grew heavy his mind drifted to a different time, a time when people rode in horseless carriages.
Broadus' mind danced with the visions for days. He thought about what his mother told him about Shia, and wondered how much he could believe. Maybe she did have proof, or maybe she just said it to get the attention of the tribe. Either way he knew he would have to find out for himself. As he thought of ways to go see her he began to feel the uneasiness in the pit of his stomach, nerves prevented him from going today.
With each passing day he became a little more confident, he knew that he would have to sneak out, his mother would not let him go by himself, and she was not going to take him.
Broadus lay awake the next few nights concentrating on his mother’s routine, as soon as he had an established pattern he would make his move.
Every night began with her cleaning just after he went to bed, then all would be quite for a short time, he found that during that time his mother was in prayer. After prayer she would bathe, then go to bed. It usually took her from the time the moon could barely be seen in his window, until it was nearly out of the window frame before he knew she was sound asleep. After ten nights he was sure that he could get away and back before she woke up. The next evening Broadus lay in his bed and waited for his time. As the moon neared the edge of the window he crept out of bed and dressed. He slid the leather moccasins on and tip toed down through the house. He could see his mother lying on the bed of furs, the light from the fire illuminating her silhouette. The door eased open quietly, and Broadus stepped through. Once outside he allowed his eyes to adjust to the light and began off in the direction of Shia's tent. The moon was full and high in the sky, and long dark shadows danced in the distance. Broadus walked for several minutes before he came to the tent. The fire inside was welcoming, but he was not sure if anyone was awake. He sat and watched, just out of sight. A tall slender woman appeared in the opening of the tent.
" Come Broadus, I have been waiting."
He felt his heart jump, how could she have known he was there. He stood and slowly walked toward the tent. He could not make out any facial features of the woman, and that made him even more nervous. As he got closer, the woman stepped back through the tent opening, and walked to a table in the middle of the large tent. Broadus stopped just inside the door, still unable to see her face. He saw a large black box sitting on the table nothing more. He stood in the door, frozen in fear. He could only think 'what have I gotten myself into.'
As he stood there, he felt his knees begin to shake uncontrollably, they shook so hard his breath was shaking. The woman, now standing in front of the fire, turned to face him. Out of shear surprise Broadus jumped, gasping for breath.
" Come child, I am not that hideous am I?"
Broadus could see that she was not at all scary, in fact she looked almost like his own mother.
" No ma'am," was all that he could find to say.
Shia walked over and guided him to the chair. Broadus was not sure where he wanted to start, but he could feel the questions beginning to bubble up from inside. Shia sat across from him, separated by the large box. She looked at him as if to say 'I am waiting'.
" How did you know that I was out there?"
" I know many things, people do not want to believe me, and so they call me a liar."
" But how did you know I was out there?"
" Your clothes gave off a distinctive smell, a certain scent that your mother uses to wash your clothes in. I know the scent because I am the one who gave her the mixture. Had it been your mother she would have come right up to the door."
" Oh, so what proof do you have of the people from long ago?"
" I have a book of forgotten things."
" But how can you claim that it is from long ago, if you are the one that has created it?"
" You are a brilliant child, but to answer that question, I will show you. I did not make this book, I merely found the pages scattered among the inner depths of the stone monoliths."
Broadus sat and stared as she pulled a large leather bound book from under her sleeping skins. His heart pounded at the thought of looking on something that has not been seen for hundreds of years. Shia laid the book on the table and opened the worn leather cover. Inside Broadus saw a man wearing cloth garments, standing on a smooth flat rock that twisted and turned and disappeared in the distance. Behind him was one of the large stone monoliths, Broadus noticed large square holes in the building. He stared at the man and the structure, analyzing every little detail. Then with a gasp he realized that the holes were covered with a crystal type of stone. Shia turned the page, and there in front of him was a carriage without a horse.
" How did they get these carriages to move, I don't see a horse to pull it?"
" I am not sure of that myself, I have not been able to locate any of the carriages to examine them."
Broadus sat examining each and every picture. His mind filled with ideas, visions and thoughts of the past and the future. He had decided at this moment he would set out to discover all of the mysteries of the past.
As he sat engulfed in the book, Shia walked toward the door of the tent. She noticed that the sounds of the night had gone silent.
'Curious,' she thought stepping through the tent. In an instant a large arrow buried itself in her chest. She stumbled through the door and back into the tent. Writhing in pain she crawled to the table.
" Broadus, the Raiders are coming, you must take the book and hide."
Broadus turned to see that Shia was bleeding, uncontrollably, from the puncture wound around the shaft of the arrow.
" Where shall I hide," he asked his breath quivering in terror.
" There is a hole under the wooden base under the sleeping skins, Go, they must not find you here."
Broadus ran to the pile of sleeping skins, and began to scatter them. He found the wooden base and moved it aside. Below the base a small hole could be seen, Broadus crawled inside and crouched down. Shia stumbled over to the whole slid the base back over it , and then began to pile the skins back on top of the base.
Broadus noticed a small crack that let in a little of the fire light and crawled over to it, and placed on eye up to the crack. He saw Shia lying on the ground, a pool of blood had formed around her. Suddenly a large figure stepped through the tent door and began to throw things around the tent. He could hear more outside
as if waiting for the lone figure to emerge from the tent. The figure continued searching the tent with a definite goal in mind. Broadus watched helplessly from the tiny crack. He could feel the tears welling up in his eyes, the sobs building in his chest. This scared him even more, if they heard him, he would likely face the same fate as Shia. He buried his face in the soft leather of the book and took a deep breath. A loud sob escaped. He froze, sure that the figure had heard. He placed his eye back to the crack, but did not see the figure.
'Maybe they have left,' he thought. He kept his eye to the crack waiting. He heard the group outside start to leave, quiet once again engulfed the tent. Suddenly several loud thuds hit the tent, and the tent erupted into flames. Fearing for his life Broadus kicked the wooden base clear of the hole enough for him to crawl out. He clasped the book tightly to his chest and ran into the dark. Not even thinking about whether he had been seen or not. He ran for a long time, not thinking, just reacting. As he slowed his body collapsed to the ground. Sob after gut wrenching sob shook his body. Suddenly a thought crossed his mind,' they were headed toward his mother’s camp.' The sob stopped and fear gripped him.
Broadus jumped up he had ran out of Shia's tent so quick that he wasn't sure what direction he had gone in. He turned slowly, hoping for some sort of visual reference point. The light from the fire of Shia's tent guided him. He walked past the remnants of the tent, fear, sorrow, and anger all collided inside him. He stood in front of the tent, and got his bearings. Broadus began to run, still clenching the book, toward his own tent. He knew that it was up to him to warn the others. As he ran a large plume of flame sprang from somewhere in front of him. Startled, Broadus tripped over a large root, and tumbled to the ground. He quickly picked himself, and the book up and began again. He felt his heart sink, the screams of the camp could be heard from where he was standing. In his mind danced many a gruesome scene, but none as gruesome as what awaited him.
Broadus stumbled from the brush, scratched up and bleeding from the fall. He was met a blast of heat, and a scene of gruesome violence. The raiders had slaughtered everyone they could find in the camp. Broadus collapsed, the putrid salty taste of vomit in his mouth. Tears rolled down his face leaving trails of mud. He lay there crying, thinking he should have been there with his mother. Exhausted, he slept where he fell.
The morning dawned overcast and hazy. Broadus sat up, and the scene came rushing back to him. He stood and began to search the remnants of the camp. Everything of value had been taken, the rest destroyed. Ashes from the smoldering ruins of his mother’s tent danced like ghosts on the wind. Once again the tears began to flow, as he fell to his knees.
"Broadus, is that you?"
He turned to group of people standing behind him. Hope sprang in him like a fountain.
"Is my ...my mother okay?"
A silence fell across the small group, and he could see the tears in their eyes.
"No, this can't be happening. Why didn't you help her?"
He ran toward a young man at the front of the group. As his fist came into contact with the young man, Broadus felt that he could not control himself, the anger just over flowed. The young man did not move, he just stood there, absorbing every blow. Broadus stopped hitting the man and wrapped his small arms around him and began to cry uncontrollably. The young man knelt down and picked him up, and the group began to retreat from the now desolate camp. The survivors had hidden in a cave just outside the camp, and now they all considered it to be the safest place.
"Broadus, I know that you’re hurting, but take comfort in knowing that it was a painless passing."
"But I should have been with her Kee. If I had not gone to see Shia then I could have protected her."
"That is not possible. When they arrived everyone was rounded up and made to stand in the center of camp. Only those of us who were not in camp escaped."
"Why did they make everyone stand there?"
"They were looking for a book. They said that they had been sent by The Collector to acquire a book that had been stolen from his domain."
"Did they say what kind of book?"
"No, only that the thief had already been punished for her treachery, and that if no one came forward with the book, then the rest of them would pay the same price."
Broadus knew which book they were talking about, and he knew it was the same one that he had fled with. Suddenly he realized that he did not have the book, and ran out of the cave entrance and back toward the camp. It had to be there, if it meant that much to them, then it had to have some kind of value to it. Broadus spotted the book covered in a thin layer of dirt underneath a tree, next to the remnants of his mother’s tent.
Broadus felt his heart sink as he walk passed the ashes, If only he could have been there to protect her. He picked up the book and dusted off the cover, 'what could be so important?' Sitting underneath the tree Broadus opened the book again. The pictures no longer excited him, now they were just a dim reminder of how fragile life was, and how callus some people could be. He flipped page after page, glancing at picture after picture. As he turned past a picture of a large stone path support by stone trees, a large folded piece of parchment fell out of the book. Broadus picked it up and noticed a bunch of lettering and identifying marks. He studied the parchment closely, but still could not figure out what it was. Questions abound about the parchment.
'What is it?'
'What are the marks?'
'Is this why they killed Shia?'
These and many other questions bombarded Broadus. Suddenly a realization hit him, with his mother gone, he would have no one to take care of him. He began to feel alone, as if his entire world had ended.
"Broadus, come back to the cave, I still don't think that it's safe here."
"But I have nowhere to go."
"Broadus, you know that you are always welcome in anyone of our tents."
"Thank You."
Broadus knew that the night before he had left his mother a small child, but today he was a young man. In his eleven cycles of life he had never had to deal with so much at one time, now everything came falling in on him. Broadus blankly wandered through out the rest of the day, mostly numb from the previous days experiences.
As night fell Broadus slept. His dreams haunted with visions of his mother’s death, and the Raiders finding him and torturing him. Shia appeared in his dreams, looking just as she did the night he hid under the sleeping skins.
"Broadus, it is up to you find the knowledge of the past."
Broadus tried to speak, he opened his mouth, but nothing came out. His throat felt as though he was being strangled.
"Let the book guide you, every picture is a clue, each one a place out in the vast land past the boundaries of the Great Canyon."
Suddenly Broadus felt the ground disappear from underneath his feet, and Shia disappeared. He felt the wind in his face as he tumbled endlessly toward the rapidly approaching earth.
Broadus sat straight up, sweat pouring from his glands, breathing heavily. He stood up and wiped away the sweat, what a scary dream.
His mouth was as fry as the cave floor, and tasted as dirty. Stumbling in the dark he found his way to the skin of water, and drank as much as he could. Broadus slept a little uneasy the rest of the night.
Morning dawned, the smell of meat cooking aroused his stomach. Rubbing the sleep from his eyes he walked out of the cave entrance. A small cook fire had been started and what appeared to be a pig was cooking over it. Kee was sitting beside the fire watching the meat while a young woman busied herself grinding corn into meal.
"Kee, what are the boundaries of the Great Canyon?"
"Let me start by asking you this, what did your mother tell you about our people?"
"Just that we are here to help those who have nothing."
"Well then, The Great Canyon is this place. I was told when I was a child your age that the spirits of the old ones gave this place to us so that we might help others in their journey to discover their true place in life. It surrounded on three sides by three great mountains that serve to protect us from the many evils that prevail. The old ones say that only way in and out of the Canyon is through the morning sun. No one that has left has ever returned. Those of us who have been here all of our lives don't feel the need to journey out of the canyon, for fear that many evils await the unsuspecting. It has been said that the breath of Natas will consume you if you leave."
"Have you ever known any of the travelers that have left?"
"No, but Shia said that she had followed one many cycles ago."
"Do you believe her?"
"I do, something about her seemed serious.
She always said that she had proof of her tales."
Broadus stared at the fire, by now his hunger was making itself known. As Kee removed the pig from the fire, he sliced a piece of for Broadus, who devoured it instantly. Broadus stood and walked away, turning toward the sun.
'Through the morning sun,' the words echoed in his head. Broadus knew that winter was coming and he would not be able to take care of himself if the frozen rain piled deep, He would wait.
Time passed and the frozen rain fell thicker and more abundant than ever before, Broadus was thankful that he had decided to stay. He would have to plan things out very carefully if he was to make it.
Kee watched Broadus grow into a strong young man. In the four cycles since the raid, Broadus had become dedicated to every task. Working at a feverish pace to complete every task. Kee knew that he had displaced the agony and anguish with this dedication. Broadus never spoke of his mother or of the night that changed his life. Kee also knew that Broadus was about to take a journey that would challenge him in every way possible, armed with this knowledge Kee forced Broadus to take on as much as he thought he could handle. From time to time he could see that it was getting to him, but Broadus was head strong and stubborn, he would find ways of finishing the task. As Broadus grew physically he took on a new look. Gone was the boyish curiosity, replaced by the thirst for knowledge. His frail body replaced by a muscular physique, now Kee knew that he would be able to handle anything that was thrown at him.
"Broadus, I know that you plan on leaving, and when you do I ask that you take this with you. I found it at the opening where the sun meets the canyon."
Broadus took the small leather wrapped item and uncovered it.
"I do not know what it is called, but I do know that it can kill from distance without an arrow. I have the small metal stones that come from it as well. I ask that you use it only when your life is in danger."
"Kee, I do not like to take lives, therefore I will do as you ask."
Kee smiled, and walked Broadus to an open field. He instructed him to point the object at the small pieces of tree bark that were standing in the field. Broadus raised the object, placed his finger on the small metal lever as Kee instructed, and squeezed his fingers. A flash sprung from the object and dirt sprung from the ground behind the piece of wood. The rest of the day Kee instructed him on ways to perfect his aim. By the time the sun had settled behind the canyon cliffs Broadus had become quite adept at hitting things.
Broadus placed the object back in the skin wrap and tied it to his waist, and the two of them walked back toward the cave. As they neared the fire pit Broadus watched the tribe prepare for the evening meal. He sat on a log and stared into the fire, tonight was the night. He would leave the safety of the canyon, to discover what lay beyond the Great Canyon.
"Broadus I have informed every one of my suspicions that you are leaving, is it true?"
"My dear friend Kee, it is. I have to find who I am and where I belong. I will never forget you are how everyone helped to make me the man I am today. I hope someday to be able to return and bring with me a knowledge that will help to protect this valley and all who live here."
Tears welled up in Kee's eyes, he hated to see him go, but he too knew that Broadus no longer belonged to the Givers. He embraced him tightly, before turning to the rest of the gathering.
" Well then be well my friend, and may the spirits protect you."
Broadus gathered his belongings, as little as they were, and started for in the direction of the morning sun. He knew that by morning he would have his direction. He glanced back at the small gathering as he walked away, the small children waved eagerly, as the adults watched the young man fade into the purple haze of the canyon walls.
Broadus walked till late into the night before resting down for the night. He would get an early start in the morning, but for now he would build a small fire to warm himself by until he fell asleep.
As the last of the embers died, Broadus covered the fire pit with dirt and gathered his things. He walked a distance before he was stopped by a winding river. In spots the river seemed almost still, the only indication that the water was moving at all were the tiny ripples out in the middle. At other points the water raged over large rocks. Broadus knew that he would have to get across, but how? Broadus pondered for a moment, then decided that he would follow the river bank and see if he could find a shallow crossing point. He walked till the sun was high in the sky, but found no crossing point. He stopped to rest. In the distance he could a constant roar, intertwined with a soft hissing sound. He knelt by the edge of the water and scooped several handfuls of water into his mouth. It was cool and refreshing. He wet his head, then stood and found a spot underneath a large lashing tree. He lay the book underneath the tree, unfurled his sleeping skin out on the grass. A cool breeze wafted across his skin. He had never known he beautiful the Great Canyon was. Before long his eyelids were getting heavy, and felt himself falling asleep. He dreamed of the water and the warm sun on his skin. Shia appeared in his dreams, and warned of unforeseen dangers. Broadus woke with a shudder, and sat staring at the river.
'This is getting me nowhere,' he thought, as he began to gather his gear. He decided to follow the sound and see what was causing such a noise. As he walked the shadows began to grow long, and the sky began to creep into night. Broadus decided he had better call it a day. He found a spot full of young needle trees, and began to break them off at the ground. He gathered nearly fifteen, before turning his attention to the lashing tree by the river. He pulled twenty or so long lashing limbs from the tree, and began to tie the needle trees together in the shape of a half bubble. When he was satisfied with the shape he located a fan leaf tree, and began to climb. He broke several of the giant fan leaves off and let them fall to the earth.
After descending form the tree he began lashing the leaves to the structure. He left a small opening at the top so that smoke could escape after he made a fire. Satisfied with his work, Broadus searched for another small needle tree to try and catch a fish with. He stripped the dark rough bark from the small tree, split the end, and inserted a sharp piece of stone. He lashed the stone between the two pieces of the tree with strips of bark from a limb of the lashing tree. He had only a short period of light left to catch a fish, or he would go hungry. After several failed attempts, the spear found a target. Crimson blood discolored the water as the stone tip ripped through the flesh of the red and grey fish and buried in the muddy floor of the river. Broadus collected his prize and returned to his shelter. He built a small fire inside, and placed the fish over the flame.
Morning found Broadus already walking up the river, the roar he had heard the day before was now deafening. As he rounded a large cluster of needle trees, he was greeted by a giant cascading curtain of water.
Disappointed, Broadus examined the surrounding areas for any sign of a place where he could possibly cross. Nothing. He placed his skin and the book on the ground, and knelt down. As he sat there, a movement caught his eye. A shadow emerged from somewhere near the waterfall. Broadus watched intently, another shadows emerged shortly followed by a third. Broadus stared watching intently, a fourth shadow appeared, except this time it was on his side of the waterfall. Broadus dashed into the growth that surrounded a couple of needle trees. He had a good view of the shadow, hopefully it did not have any clue that he was there. It moved slowly up the river, stopping at a grove dew berries. Slowly the shadow began to make its way back toward the waterfall, Broadus knew that he would have to follow it if he expected to find a way across the river. He waited till he thought that he could leave his hiding place without being noticed. He followed the shadow until in stepped behind the water. He ran up to the water and saw a small ledge trail leading behind the rushing curtain of water. Broadus carefully walked along the stone ledge, watching how the light made shadows dance across the dark stone wall, A few ways in behind the waterfall the ledge led to a large opening.
Broadus stepped into the opening, but did not see any sign of the shadow figure. Suddenly from somewhere behind him pair of arms wrap themselves around his chest. Terrified, Broadus grabbed the wrists and spun around to find a young woman with a terrified look on her face.
"Oh my God, you are not Reiko."
"No, my name is Broadus, who are you?"
"My name is Kisto. I thought you were my brother Reiko."
"He must be one of the others I saw on the other side of the river."
Broadus released the woman’s hands, and backed away. He looked at her, she was not anyone he had ever seen before. She was a very pretty young woman, olive skin, brown eyes, and even though she was a little frightened, she had a very pretty smile.
"I thought that the raiders had killed everyone in the canyon, it had been so long since we saw or heard from anyone."
"Not everyone, only the most important to me. My mother and Shia, a very knowledgeable friend. I am on a journey to uncover the knowledge that she said was out past the boundaries of the great canyon."
"Shia, she was among the dead? She visited our village quite often. Was hers a quick death?"
"Unfortunately not, the arrow pierced her chest with great force, she spent her last breath making sure that I was not discovered. I watched as the raiders stepped over her body and destroyed her tent in search of a book."
"My father Odious said that she was wise beyond her knowledge, whatever that means. Would you like to stay in our village for the night. I can promise you a place to rest, and supplies for your journey. Shia always kept hers in the village. I am the only one that knows of her hiding place."
"Did she tell you of the vast beyond as well."
"She did not know that I knew. She stayed reclusive, but said that she did only for the safety of the village."
Broadus agreed, and helped Kisto gather her basket and the small green dew berries. The walk was quiet, neither comfortable enough to say any more than they already had. Broadus surveyed the tunnel as they walked, he noticed that at evenly spaced intervals a small metallic dish had been placed on the wall and a glowing green luminous rock placed in front of the dish. This allowed the rocks light to light a greater area. Broadus stopped and began to examine them closely, how ingenious, a source of light that seemed to never end. This intrigued him, to the point that Kisto startled him standing over him.
"You look as if you have never seen star stone before."
" I have not, we did not need this star stone in the canyon. The sun provided light for the day, and the moon, or fire at night."
"It comes in abundance at the village. Traders bring it from far away, and trade it for various things. We do not place much value in it, but the travelers use it quite often."
Broadus turned and began to walk again, still curious about the stones. He would have to get a piece, if only to study it. He also found himself curious about the small metal disks, but he would examine those at the village as well.
The two walked in silence for a long time, before emerging from the tunnel in a cavern. The large open cavern was cool and moist, and Broadus noticed that the walls were lined with woven baskets. Each one containing a different vegetable or fruit. Somethings he had never seen before. Along another side were slabs of meat covered with salt. How curious he thought.
"What is the purpose of all this?"
"It is our food storage area. This way we can gather and store food for a long time. It allows us the privilege of having a stable food supply when the solstice comes."
"What is a solstice?"
"It is the time when the leaves change color and fall from the trees. Ona-solstice follows, that is when the frozen mist falls from the sky and covers the earth in a white coat."
Kisto led Broadus to a small opening covered with a thick dark skin. She pushed away the skin to reveal numerous people going on about their day. They never even stopped to look at him, even though he had never been to the village. He noticed that the village seemed to be a permanent fixture. They did not live in tents, but rather in permanent mud covered structures. Small children ran and played, adults carried on conversations, a complete change from what he was used to.
"This in the market, people trade items that they have for items others have that they need."
The noise excited Broadus, so many new experiences. He wanted to know more, but was afraid that his curiosity would be mistaken for something else. He did not want to seem nosy, but he did want to learn. He sat and observed the daily action. Kisto seemed content to let him sit and watch, she disappeared probably going about her set pace. He watched the interaction of people, how they seemed to care about what the other was saying, how they were eager to lend a helping hand when someone was in need. He had never seen anything like it before. In the great canyon, people stayed to themselves, you never wanted to interfere with the work your neighbor was doing, and their always seemed to be more work to keep you from it. Here everyone interacted so happily. Broadus watched the small children playing at their parents feet, they seemed so carefree, and uninhibited. This brought him to a question. With all the people, he did not see any young adults. The children all seemed to be in their fourth or fifth cycle of life, and the adults all seemed to be somewhere around twenty cycles. This struck Broadus as curious, where could be. He sat on a fallen log and let the sun warm him, it felt good, and he felt his body relax. Kisto appeared from around a corner, she was followed by an older gentleman, not quite sure what he should do, Broadus jumped to his feet.
"My daughter tells me that you are from the canyon, is it true the raiders killed everyone?"
"Not everyone, but the majority of the camp did not make it."
"What of Shia, did she survive?"
"Unfortunately not, she was the first to go. She died protecting me."
"Dear boy, you must be something special. She was a very reclusive person. She never let anyone near her nagoha. She said that it interfered with her ability to think."
"I don't think that I am special, but she did trust me enough to allow me to look at this," Broadus pulled the book from his bag, and held it out for the man to see.
"Please, come with me, quickly."
Broadus placed the book back in the bag and was ushered into a large structure. The old man pulled the skin closed behind them, and slid a wooden platform over the skin, and the windows. He then removed a couple of large star stones from a pouch, placed them on one of the metal dishes, then placed a second curved dish over the stones. This caused the light to brighten the entire room.
"Where did you get that?"
"Shia gave it to me just before the raiders killed her. She said that it was proof of what life was like many cycles ago."
"Have you opened the book?"
"Yes, I have looked at the pictures several times. I believe that she wanted me to use the book so that I may bring back the knowledge of the ancient peoples."
"I must warn you, be careful. With that knowledge comes a great deal of responsibility. I have seen many a person go mad with just a small amount of that knowledge. Shia had a gift for controlling the effects of the knowledge. She knew that it could be used for evil as well as good. She took it upon herself to protect it from falling into the hands of those that would use it to enslave the others."
"How, it is only pictures, and pictures of things that are beyond belief at that."
"Trust me child, the truths contained in that book bare a many battle scar. I have seen the chaos that book has caused in this village alone. People think that if they can capture the knowledge of the ancients that they will become gods. Legends say that a man born of blood, but forged of the fire of the sun will rise and use the knowledge to unite the scattered peoples of the vast wastelands. He will tame the metal birds of the air and force them to devour his enemies with stones of fire."
"I have never heard these legends. No one of my tribe ever told them."
"It is written in the book."
Broadus bowed his head with shame. He could not read, no one had ever taught him. The people of the great canyon did not know how to read, so it was never taught. The old man could see this in Broadus' eyes.
"You cannot read. Broadus, Shia has bestowed a great honor on you, she has made you the guardian of the knowledge of the ancients. But in order for you to be effective in doing this, you must learn to read. I feel that you are already on a mission to discover the knowledge. So I beseech you, stay with us in the village until you have learned to read. I will have Kisto teach you, and no one will have to know of it, or that you have the book."
Odious knew that if it got out that the book was in the village then Broadus' life would be in grave danger. He sent Kisto out to get a simple book so that she might begin to teach Broadus.
Broadus did not understand why this book was such a threat, did it contain some ancient evil, or some grave dangers? He knew that he would have to discover this before he went any further. He considered himself an intelligent young man, so he did not for see any trouble learning to read. He would take it in stride, and be on his way before it was too late in the cycle.
He sat and watched as Kisto walked through a side opening, she carried with her a small book. It was tattered and torn, the pages were yellow, and the writing on the cover was almost completely gone, even if it had not been he could not understand it.
"Shia brought this back from one of her many journeys, she said that it was used to teach the ancients children how to read. It would be a good thing to begin you with."
Broadus took the ragged book and opened the cover. It was still in fairly good condition. The first page had a picture of a young boy, and a bunch of letters underneath it. Broadus knew only a few of the letters and their sounds. He tried in his head to sound out the words.
'S....e...e.....'
He began to think that it might take a little longer than he thought to get the hang of this.
"Okay, try the first word."
Broadus tried it again, this time out loud. To his disappointment he still could not get it.
"That's okay, I am here to help. Listen to how I do it, then you try."
Kisto sounded the word for him, and Broadus copied. It was a simple word that seemed so hard. The two worked for a long time on the book, Broadus, eventually getting the hang of the simple words.
Kisto was now a full time teacher to Broadus, she had been ordered to make sure that he acquired the knowledge he needed. But somewhere in the process she found herself attracted to Broadus. His eyes were as blue as crystal, and his voice as gentle as a warm breeze. Several times she had caught herself drifting from teaching to thinking of him. Deep down she knew it would never happen, but somehow he made her feel special.
Weeks passed and Broadus began to use the ancient language with ease, things seemed so different now. The words seemed to fill his head every time he tried to speak. At first it was hard to concentrate, but as time passed they became second nature.
Odious watched as Broadus grew in knowledge, he was confident that Broadus would achieve his goal, but he was worried that Kisto might try and persuade him to let her come with, this would have to be stopped before it could get started.
"Kisto, come child."
"Yes father."
"I see that you have taken a liking to young Broadus. I must warn you that I will never allow you to leave this village with him. It is a far too dangerous place for a young woman such as yourself."
"Father, although I do have strong feelings for him, I would never think of leaving the village. This is where I belong, to help with the harvest, and now I have discovered that I can also teach. I am happy here."
"Which brings me to my next thought. He will have to begin his journey at first light tomorrow. It is getting late in the season, if he stays too long everything will began to change, running the risk of him getting lost. Is that clear."
"Yes father, can we at least give him a feast so that his journey will be a prosperous one."
"I think that would be a wonderful thing to do."
Kisto jumped up and gave her father a large hug and started out the door. She turned to look at her father, she knew that she was a lucky person to have someone so understanding.
She gathered several of the adolescents together, and instructed them of the plan. This would put a damper on the chores. The adolescent were the reason things ran so smoothly, they were the unseen driving force of the village. This is why they were not seen in the village. Each day began before the sun was up and ended after it had sat, but today each was responsible for a different part of the feast. Kisto enforced the fact that it had to be ready by sun down. After she had finished giving her instructions everyone went their separate ways. This was going to be a celebration that would be remembered.
Broadus stepped into the doorway of the nagoha and took a seat next to Odious. He knew that Odious wanted to speak with him, but was unsure of the reason. He had grown accustomed to the village and all the people, somewhere deep inside Broadus knew that it was time for him to begin.
Odious turned to Broadus and motioned for him to come closer.
"Broadus, it is time for you to begin your journey. I have had Kisto prepare for you a hold all. It contains breads, dried meats, and a piece of the star stone. It not only will provide
light for you to travel by, but if used right it can be used to start a fire."
"That would be a great help, how do I do it?"
"You must use the small metal disk to reflect the light back through a piece of curved crystal. Once the light is directed onto small dry leaves, it will start a flame. Then you just have to build the fire up."
Broadus began to leave, but Odious stopped him, and motioned for him to follow. Broadus was curious, he had never been to the back of Odious' nagoha. He stepped through the opening and into a room lit solely by star stone. Odious retrieved a wooden box from under a bench, and opened it. In the box was a square container that looked to be made of crystal, it was clear and seemed to be sealed completely. Broadus looked at the box, inside the crystal container was a piece of yellowed paper, with writing and what appeared to be signatures.
"Shia had me hide this, she said that it was an important piece to the ancients, but she did not know what it was, or what it says. She instructed me to protect it and not let anyone see it. I decided that since she gave you the book, that I would let you see, maybe you can find out what it is and why it was so important."
Broadus examined the paper, but still could not make out what it said. He knew that it would have to wait. Odious returned the artifact to the wooden box, and replaced under the bench. He then led Broadus out the door. As they reached the front of the nagoha Kisto grabbed Broadus by the arm.
"Father told us that you are leaving tomorrow, so we decided to throw you a celebration."
Broadus smiled and the entire village began to celebrate his beginning journey. The celebration went long into the night and almost the morning. As Broadus watched the last villager disappear into the darkness of their respective nagoha he saw Kisto setting beside the last small flames of the once roaring bonfire.
"Why so sad, this was a celebration?"
"I don't want to bring you down."
"I am leaving in the morning, I could use the conversation."
"Father said that I was not to try and persuade you to stay here, but I will be lost once you are gone. I know that you must go, but you have shown me that life can be full of adventure, and I will worry about your wellbeing."
" Kisto, I am sorry. I wish that I could stay, but something tells me that I need to follow through with this. Why don't you join me?"
"Father has already forbid that. He says that he needs me here to help and teach the younger ones. He depends on me a lot, more so now that mother is gone."
"Then I promise, I will return, and bring with me the knowledge of long forgotten peoples."
Broadus hugged Kisto tightly, and knew that her feelings for him ran deeper than just friends. He released her and she went into the nagoha, he watched as her silhouette faded into the dark. Broadus knew that he had more than just curiosity resting on his journey, and he knew deep down that his return would be eagerly awaited.



© Copyright 2015 Etzio (skyeangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2060317-In-Search-of-Futures-Past