*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2062760-The-life-of-Vander-chapters-5-10
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #2062760
the target was missed begin the quest
Chapter Five



A pageboy races to the side of Lord Hallun, on Anthar's orders, and in a near whisper, “My Lord, the assassin is dead. Sir Anthar needs to know where to put the body." The high priestess and the high wizard step closer to Lord Hallun to listen. Meanwhile, Lady Ruan is being served her second glass of wine to ensure that she is well.



Lord Hallun responds, “Tell Sir Anthar to take the body through the servants' passages down to the young winery room where I will have the high priestess and high wizard to examine the body." He waves the page off. Lord Hallun signals the captain of the guard near him. “Have Lady Ruan’s party join us up here.” Lord Hallun with a loving touch takes his wife's hand and leads her back to her seat a few feet away. Nearly all the guests who were standing see this and sit back down, murmuring ever so lightly. Only the defenders, those allowed small swords, and a few others remain standing.



Edwin, along with the captain of the guard, walks toward the opposite side of the table where Lady Ruan is sipping her wine from her chair. He offers his mother his arm. "Mother?"



She rises, "Shall we."



Edwin escorts her back to the head of the table. As they pass the seat with the dagger, she stills herself, knowing that the blade almost hit her only child. The thought of it ripping from her insides and trying to keep her composure on the outside was more than she could bear. She suppresses the tears that well in her eyes, but not before a few escape to smear her conservative make-up.



Edwin rips the protruding dagger out with a firm grip. The captain of the guard slides from the side of him to in front of him and stands there with his hand out, not allowing Edwin to take another step. Edwin with a flip of his wrist he is now holding the blade and the hilt is directed toward the guard. The guard raises his hand to grasp it. Edwin notices something on the hilt and pulls it closer to his eye.



He notices etched into the wood of the hilt, three white silver joined spirals each with six circles forming the shape of a triangle that has a black obsidian dagger running though the center, the sign of Hena-Tenik, the largest clan of the brotherhood of assassins. He removes his free hand's glove using his teeth not caring about decorum as his mother looks at him with worry. He continues to examine the dagger, applying pressure to the hilt, seeing if it was a soft or a hard wood. He caresses the blade to feel the smoothness of it and to feel the fineness of the edge with his gloved hand. He examines it for any further markings. He positions the dagger on his middle gloved finger with his index and ring finger above it balancing it to see where he gets the best balance. He casts a glance at the guard and Lord Hallun. He hands the hilt to the captain of the guards covering the blade with his glove and directs, "Give this to Lord Hallun. Do not touch the blade." He takes his other glove off, as a perfect gentleman should. He offers his mother his elbow and escorts her up to the head of the table.



The captain of the guard hands the blade to Lord Hallun. Lord Hallun uncovers the blade, with care of not touching anything but the glove, and sees the markings of the assassins. He looks at Edwin. Edwin leads his mother down in the chair of the High Guard was in. "Son, what do you see?"



"My Lord, I'm reasonably certain that this blade outside of the obvious, of belonging to an assassin's clan, can be identified to the clan that has a strong presence at Lake UnAka. The way the metal was forged has evidence of the smiths from that region. But I could be sure if I could see the body of the assassin. The clan there carries a mark to identify themselves to others. Only those members hold the blade usually as the leader of the clan does not allow the sell of these blades.



Lord Hallun replies, "You may assist the others, if you agree to take two of my guards with you for protection and will follow Sir Anthar’s lead."







The page arrives and passes on the orders to Anthar. Anthar nods to Lord Hallun over the balcony. Anthar picks the young girl's lifeless body into his arms. The guards form around Anthar and Serena as they head down the stairs.



Edwin straightens his cape glances up to the balcony to see his wife-to-be heading to the stairs right behind her blade knight surrounded by Hallun guards. Vincent rises from his chair nods to his father and lord, and takes the last gulp of his wine. He then turns and gazes at where the body was found as the high priest and wizard and the female blade mage rise from their seats. The wizard stuffing a last piece of meat into his mouth as they all and the two guards head to the stairs and descend.



The guests of the betrothal feast realize that a third of the table of honor is leaving the festivities. They begin to mumble among themselves even more agitated then before. Lord Hallun stands at attention. All eyes are on him. He speaks in a clear, robust voice. "Lords, ladies and citizens, the situation is well in hand and is being investigated by our finest. We shall continue with the feast and then the ceremony as it is able once we have more answers to the how and why of the failed assassination attempt. Please enjoy the beverages and the final courses of the planned feast as we do so." He raises his glass, "May victory follow us through the night till the dawn shines bright. May the gods be with you."



The guests of the feast reply in unison, "And with you."







The two parties meet up and head down to the final flight of stairs to the near empty wine cellar. Anthar gently places the body on the table in the center of the room and moves to the door to stand guard Vincent at the head. The high wizard stands at the feet of the body. Serena stands off to the side of the high wizard and Edwin. The high priestess at the side of the table presses on the chest releases the last breath the soul has taken. Vincent inhales. He smells a peppery sweet odor. "It is poison."



Serena peers at her brother. Her head jolts, eyes go wide. "Figured that."



The high wizard cuts a small slash at her left wrist, raises his right hand above her feet and glides his hand above the length of her body and then down her left shoulder and then her arm. He stops at her left wrist and pulls the orange concentration of blood mixed with poison from the slash at her wrist. He puts the glob into a small glass vessel.



Edwin takes the assassin's knife, slices the lace of the bodice, and pushes her breast apart revealing the tattoo underneath her left breast. He lays the knife across her chest showing that both markings are identical. "The poor girl paid the ultimate price for her failure."







Chapter Six

Shamis 15th 14DVP the 24th year of the reign of Fianguarian King Thamir the 3rd





The next morning, Anthar ladles porridge into a wooden bowl while he waits for Serena to arrive for breakfast in the kitchen of the family keep. Any other day, after their early hour breakfast, they would take the horses out for a workout. Today they won't. She is to be wedded to Edwin in just a few short hours.



“So, Conner,” he says to the fourteen-year-old kitchen boy punching large pile of bread dough, “I bet you’ll be glad when today’s hunt is on. You’ll get a break from the heat in the kitchen.”



The boy laughs in return, fists pumping away at the dough, “Yes, today I will enjoy but tomorrow I will be as hot as the pigs that I’ll be roasting.”





Anthar smiles. Serena walks in ever-simple garb.





"Morning." Anthar hands Serena the bowl, and grabs himself another bowl from the table next to the kettle.





The kitchen boy glances up, his rhythm not missing a beat. “Morning, Lady Serena.”





Serena returns their greetings, then, grabbing a pair of tongs, helps herself to a fresh loaf of bread from the oven. She tears it in pieces and shares it with Anthar and Conner. Conner nods his thanks and keeps his fists pounding into the dough.





Anthar brings a small bowl of dried fruit and then sits next to her. He puts some of the fruit into his bowl. Serena spoons out honey into hers. They eat in companionable silence each chewing on a hunk of bread. Conner removes the five remaining loafs in the kiln, cuts the dough he has been pounding into six parts, puts a different set of six loafs of bread in the kiln that have already re-risen and gently moves the newly cut dough to where the other six loafs were to rise. He pours three cups of apple cider and gives one each to Serena and Anthar. Only then, he sits down to eat his bread.





Serena sips the tart cider, raises an eyebrow, and asks, “So, Anthar, do you think Vincent was right about who sent you the love letter? Is it a distressed father? A barmaid wench? Or a lady in waiting?”





“Not a lady in waiting. She sent a town boy not a page boy.” He spoons in the gruel.





“So not a noble woman, but a commoner. We should probably look for the boy. If you wish to find out.”





"I'll find the urchin. He will ans….."





Lord Jagua comes in. They all stand up, out of respect. Lord Jagua sighs and sits. “Please do not stand on my account for it is too early in the morning for such formalities. Conner, please go to the garden and fetch the herbs for my tea. Thank you.”





Anthar and Conner say, “Good morning, my lord.”





“Good morning dad.”





Conner heads out while Anthar and Serena sit down.





Lord Jagua says to Anthar. “I take it you slept about as well as I did, and how does that make this a good morning?”





Anthar and Serena look at each other and then up at Lord Jagua as if in agreement.







Following in behind Vincent, Edwin, dressed in matching set of an apricot long night tunic, loose breeches made of fine linen and a robe of red silk, answers, “We’re not dead, sir. That’s what makes it a good morning.”



Lord Jagua turns and bellows, “Nice to see you two looking so well after a restful sleep.”



Edwin winces. Anthar and Serena smile wryly. Lord Jagua and his son remain straight-faced. Edwin sits down at the table slowly. He looks up and realizes everyone is staring at him.



Anthar wry smile bursts as he tells him, “The bed head look really suits you.”



Edwin gently runs his fingers though his hair. His eyes blaze at Anthar. Everyone else is smiling. Edwin smiles wearily.



Vincent helps himself to the porridge. “At least the guards at the doors got to nod off.”



Edwin quips under his breath, “Lucky them. Though not very dutiful.” His gaze returns to Anthar.



Anthar gulps down the porridge in his mouth and regards his Lord. "Only one of the six in the line of sight, my lord."



Lord Jagua chuckles. "I know you and your fellow captains ordered triple duty. As it was they were already on double duty so some had to be giving rest."



Conner walks back into the kitchen, makes the tea for Lord Jagua, and takes the hot loaves of bread that he put into the kiln to cool. He takes the almost empty bowl of dried fruit and refills it from an oak barrel. He serves Lord Jagua’s tea to him.



Vincent pours himself cup of the tea and sits. The siblings and the Blade knight eat the thick porridge. Edwin can smell the aroma’s of the earthly nutty porridge sitting in the bowls across from him. He looks at Vincent and stifling a yawn asks, “Where’s mine?”



Vincent and Serena roll their eyes. Vincent asks, “Conner, will you please serve Sir Edwin?"



Vincent turns to see that Conner had already been ladling the porridge out for Edwin. Conner brings it to Edwin, sets it down, and announces, “My lord, your breakfast.” Lord Jagua ge-guffs. Conner asks, "Lord Edwin, what will you have to drink? Tea, cider, or breakfast mead?



"Cider mixed with the mead if it will mix well."



Anthar replies, "It does."



Connor serves the tonic to Edwin. He then adds more uncooked porridge and water to the kettle and stirs.



Lord Jagua rises and refills his tea, looks at Conner and orders, “Let the breads cool, we will keep watch on the fire. Enjoy some time before the hunt.”



Conner bows. “Thank you, my lord.” He darts out the kitchen.



Lord Jagua raps the table and states, "While I drink my tea I expect answers to my questions that we did not have time or the security for the questions last night." Lord Jagua looks at Anthar and inquires, "Who is this boy that you're looking for? Does he have anything to do with what happened yesterday?"



Anthar and Serena exchange looks as Anthar attempts to gulp the food down his throat, he drinks his cider and then with one last gulp reports. "My lord, yesterday while Lady Serena and I were finishing our training for the day, a youth was shadowing us. At the time, I figured he was a new kitchen boy dreaming of being a knight. When we left the field he followed us to the bathhouse, where when we exited, I grabbed him. He gave me a letter. He said he was to deliver it to me. Thinking that he was just a delivery boy I allowed him to go and before I read the letter. It was a warning to me. It stated that bastards are being killed.”



Lord Jagua inhales sharply, his jaw clench, his hands shakes. He stares at the knight. He forces himself put his tea down. The cup rattles at the force it was set down as the hot tea splashes over the rim onto his hand. He pays no mind to pain.



Serena hastily speaks, "Father, it was I who allowed the boy to go. Anthar was ready to grab him by the shirt again."



Lord Jagua turns his gaze to his daughter then back to Anthar. He regains some of his calm. "Any idea on who sent the letter? Do you still have the letter? Who is the boy?"



"I have the letter, father." Vincent interjects as he pulls the letter out of his morning robe.



"The boy said it was from a lady but no name was given," Serena replies a half a breath after.



"We do not know who the boy is, outside of being a street boy. Most likely a very good thief, pickpocket more or less. He was actually able to get into the keep, so he knows how to blend in," Anthar finishes the report.



Lord Jagua asks, "Would you be able to find him quickly?"



"Not without the town guard to assist, my Lord. Nothing stands out about him," replied Anthar.



Lord Jagua leans into the table and stares at the trio.

Vincent intercedes, "And Father, do not forget about the poison. The high priest and wizard both agree the poison was thedakiss. They sent me the report just a half hour ago. It doesn't grow well in the empire, a few places in the far north closer to the capital. But it can be found well deep in The Adenthans Woods."



"I hate to disagree with you, Lord Vincent, but thedakiss does grow in this area, near the town of Ingras," pronounces Edwin.



Lord Jagua inquires, "And Edwin, how do you know about this poison so well?"



"My father has had more than a few attempts on his life. Therefore he insists that I, as his heir, know what antidotes to have with me when I travel anywhere and that is one of the few plants that does not have a cure if it is administered through pierced skin, but if ingested it can be released though must be done so immediately. Moreover, it would have had to been collected there. The plant loses its effectiveness as the plant dies. Three to five days after being picked is the longest I have ever heard it still being potent enough to be used as a lethal poison."



Lord Jagua after a moment of sipping his tea, "This is what you will do, finish eating your morning meal, I will have your hunt kits filled for you all, while you all get prepared for the hunt but you won't be hunting game, but clues. " He looks to Edwin and his daughter. "I am sorry. The wedding will be put on hold until we have the answers." His gaze returns to include the full group. "You will travel to the town Ingras. Find out who sells the plant and question them. After you report back, you will search for the boy. But you will give me a description of him before you leave. I will have a quiet search for him while you are away. Go with haste, but caution, a small party, just the bare needs. I want you all ready to leave before meal is served in the hall in two hours. You will leave at that time so few will see you depart." He drinks the last of his tea, "Anthar, protect what is mine, my children and he who is soon to be." Then he walks out of the kitchen.



"Guess we should pile in then, as we will be only having travel foods with us," says Vincent. He gets up and gets himself another heaping bowl of porridge.



Anthar quips, "The food won't change much dried fruit and nuts and porridge still. Just no fresh fruit or honey." He too refills his bowl, this time using both honey and fresh fruit.



Serena, before joining her brother, her betrothed, and her protector in having another helping of the thick simple but good porridge, takes the dough that Connor left rising puts them into the kiln.







Chapter Seven







Anthar walks around five horses inspecting and adjusting all of the tack on each of them. He wipes the light rain from his forehead and runs his hand through his hair. He glances around the horses to see Serena walking toward him with her backpack and a double-pouched saddlebag. Walking toward her, he takes the bag and carries it over his shoulder. He asks, "Where is Vincent?"



"He came out of the keep before I did."



"Then where the hell is he?"



"I don't know. I believe he went out the west door."



"Which means he is out by the garden. Sorry, I should have guessed. I'll be back. When Edwin shows up can you please take care of his pack?"



"Of course. We’ll be ready to go before you get here."



Anthar walks back up the road leading behind the keep.



A few minutes later, Vincent is sitting at the bench breathing in the early nafuninaiam fragrances that has been lightly touched with dew and the early morning rain. He is staring at the jumping fish in the pond, enjoying the scents of the lavender, sage, rosemary, and all the other different herbs and flowers of the garden, a note in his hand. Anthar walks up to him and inquires, "Vincent have you gathered the herbs that you think we will need for our journey yet?"



Vincent replies with a smile, "Not yet, I was leaving a letter for Mother." Vincent stands up, places the note to his mother on the bench with a rock holding it down. "But there would be a few herbs that would be helpful. Give me but five minutes and I shall be ready." He takes a handkerchief from his front pocket and picks up some of the herbs growing right around the bench. "These will be helpful in our tea when we wake in the morning from sleeping on the ground."



Anthar stands, waiting for Vincent to finish gathering the dozen or so herbs at least two dozen sprigs of each, as he explains the basic uses for each of them. Anthar picks up Vincent's horse bag while Vincent gently packs the herbs into his backpack. They walk back briskly while Vincent continues to explain why he chose the herbs he did. Anthar deeply sighs as they see only Serena and the horses.



Serena peers at Anthar. "Don't look at me like that; he's not here, not my fault."



Vincent walks up to the head of the fifteen and a half hand albino and pulls out a sugar cube from his pocket. "Here you go, boy." Anthar puts the saddlebag on the same horse. Vincent comments, "At least the rain has stopped and the sun is coming out."



Anthar double-checks the bags and the rest of the tack on the horses making sure they are secure.





Anthar is about to start triple checking the horses when Vincent asks, "Shall I go see if he is ready?"



Edwin arrives with his guard and squire, each man carrying a back sack and two shoulder sacks. The guard sports an extra shoulder pack.



Anthar glowers at the sight of Edwin’s party. He holds up four fingers, points to Edwin then holds up two more fingers. “Looks like we need their horses.” He ducks into the stable, grumbling under his breath and returns a few minutes later with two fifteen-hand browns, with saddles on.



Anthar curtly nods to Edwin. "You have everything you need Lord Edwin?" He hands the reigns of the two horses to the squire and the guard. “You two take the rear.”



Edwin securing his fifteen-and-a-half hand gray replies, "I believe so."



Anthar goes to his seventeen-hand black, stroking its white-mane. He grasps the lead of a packhorse and mounts. With Anthar riding point, the party moves out.



Once they pass the Keep's main gate, Vincent asks Edwin, “Were they needed?” He points with his chin at the Edwin’s guard and squire.



"Who's going to look after the horses and make camp?" Edwin responds. "Isn't six luckier than four."



Serena slyly smiles. "Not if you're only packed for four."



They ride down the main keep road till Anthar stops the party with a hand signal whispering, "It can't be." He glares ahead to the open area near the forest, just off the road to town, where he sees a youth running from two town guards. "It just can't be." He glances toward Serena and points to the youth.



Serena witnesses what Anthar is surprised by. She laughs as the guards catch the youth. The youth escapes by locking his right leg behind the left guards right leg as the right guard pulls the youth forward he causes his own partner to trip; leaving the guard on the right vulnerable enough for the youth to spin himself out of his grasp causing the guard to fall on his ass. Serena laughs once again.



The youth zigzags toward the forest and heading back to the town. The guards rise to give chase. Serena urges her seven-teen hand brown with black white and brown tail horse into a gallop toward the youth. Just as the youth is about to make it to the forest the guards tackle him. As Serena reaches them, leaving the rest of her party behind, the guards are dragging the youth in a much more forceful grasp. One of the guards notices her with a nod, "Lady Serena, nothing to worry about just a thief and a poacher."



"Stand him up straight, he is just a boy. Was it really necessary to tackle him so?"



"This one has escaped us before, my lady, grant it his crimes are petty, but have been constantly repeated."



Serena can now see that it is definitely the same boy who delivered the message the day before. She examines him, stares into his eyes, and asks, "What is the crime that he is committing now?" The rest of her party reaches her.



The other guard replies, "Poaching, My Lady. He was after some breakfast in the Lords forest."



The youth stares back and forth from both guards to Serena. "I was only hunting a rabbit. I was unable to partake of the feasts yesterday, due to an errand I was forced to make. Besides, it is well known that our kind and just Lord Hallun does not totally enforce the poaching rules, if the one breaking it is among the poor."



Vincent eyes Anthar and Serena seeing their recognition of the youth. Vincent tells the guards, "Sounds like the kid needs to make an honest coin."



Anthar flashes to Vincent and Serena and stares at the boy, rolls his eyes and says in a gruff voice, "Do you want to be a camp-boy for the duration of the hunt? The duties are gathering fire wood, helping with tending the kills, and the like."



Before the boy who is standing bewildered can answer, Serena answerers for him, "Of course he does. If he doesn't he will go to be judged. Hey, Vincent the punishment for poaching? Isn't it getting a hand cut off?"



Vincent replies, "I believe that's still on the books."



The youth glances to the guards, who would if told to carry out the punishment, gulps. His gaze flashes back to Serena and her party, then back to the guards. His shoulders slump in surrender as he looks up to Anthar, and responds, "My Lord, My Lady, of course I'd like to pick up sticks all day. But do I get to keep some of the kills?"



Edwin chuckles and answers, "Boy, you will be able to eat all you want."



Anthar grabs the adolescent by his restrained shoulders as the guards release him and pulls the boy onto his horse.



As the party reforms, Serena orders the guard, "Go change. Your uniforms are all muddy. You fell in the dirt."



They look at each other and then back at Serena confused about what just took place. "Of course, my Lady," snaps one of the guards. The other just bows. They both march back to their watchtower at the bridge.



“Oh, and make sure to give a FULL report to the captain about this,” adds Vincent before they get too far.



As the guards are out of earshot Serena asks, "Is that necessary for them to give a full report to the captain? They’ll be humiliated for being outdone?"



"Yes and the news of the youth who can. The gossip will reach all ears."



A few minutes later they cross the northern wooden bridge. Serena rides up to the boy on Anthar's horse. "Now that we have met twice, I think, I have earned the right to know your name?"



The boy responds, "You could continue to call me boy or perhaps you should have asked me this the first time we spoke." Anthar takes one hand off the reign of the horse and lightly taps the back of the boy's head. The boy rubs the back of his head. "I was about to answer the question, but it's never too late to use manners."



Anthar replies, "Not that you couldn't use some yourself."



The boy looks at Serena and says, "Lady Hallun, Lord Hallun, Sir Anthar and your gentle companions may I introduce myself, I am but the humble son of a fisher women, now deceased, that carried the name of Penyentie and I was given the name Vander."









Chapter Eight

Barega 22nd 297DVP





My barriers go up. I come out of the semi-trance state, my king has put me in, mentally pushing the unknown presence that invaded my mind. The guard that was behind me stumbles back, only his reflexes keeps him from falling.





The guard mumbles as he regains his composure, "I shouldn't have touched him." He addresses me, "Sir, my apologies, but I only wished to inform you that your repast is here."





"A gentle word to break the thought rather than a touch to focus the mind would have been sufficient Hamazth," replies my king.





My eyes finally break contact with my king. I look to the guard. I lower my eyes in shame. "I hope I did not seriously injure you."





As a few of the servants snicker, he replies, "Only my pride, sir."





The king turns his attention to states, and me "And sometimes a man's pride needs to be pushed so that one might catch themselves before a greater fall."





Hamazth says, "Sire, the kitchen staff have brought up the fowl and fish, mild cheeses, crusty bread and young vegetables and fruit."





The servants scuttle about the bedchamber, doing all they could to freshen the room. The king smiles in appreciation. "A bowl of the fruit and a plain glass of watered wine. No sleeping drought or any other herbs that might dull my senses, for I have a long day ahead with my apprentice."





I rise from my chair and go near the fireplace to where the servants have set up the trays of the meat so they may stay warm and the other trays farther up the table away from the fire. I grab one of the bowls, fill it with chunks of apples, pears, freshly picked blue berries, huckleberries and strawberries. I return to my king's bedside. While the healer's apprentice brings a glass of wine without herbs as ordered. My mindless stomach growls at me, reminding me of my own hunger. The servant gives the king his glass of wine. I set his bed stand tray up with the bowl. Cuharith, the oldest of the servants, distributes a handful of pine needles on the edge of the tray. They are fresh and revitalizing strong smelling and among the favorites of our beloved king.





The king inhales deeply. He smiles, sips his wine without coughing and allows me to position his tray on the bed. He sets his glass on the tray, picks up a small mixed handful of the fruit, and pops them all in his mouth. After he swallows, he smiles again to the room full of worried but hopeful servants. He announces, "Thank you. This is perfectly fresh and soothes this old man's dry throat." He turns to me as I stand still at his side. "Now allow yourself something to eat while I enjoy this and catch my thoughts before they start to flee once again. Have one of my scribes report up here for a few orders as you all leave. I still need some rest and I have much work to accomplish before the light shines no more."





The servants withdraw, the musty leavings of a sick room exiting with them. The King's bedchamber is filled with fresh needles of pine, good food and good wishes.





I get myself a meal and I sit and eat at the bedside. The scribe appears as I finish and the king asks for the reports. As the scribe summarizes, I nod off falling asleep for a short hour or so. The king makes his presence known to me within my dreams to wake me up. My eyes open. He says, "Now we are alone once more, I shall continue with my telling. Fill your belly again and listen."









Chapter nine



Shamis 15th 14DVP the 24th year of the reign of Fianguarian King Thamir the 3rd







As I look at the question in Serena's eyes, I can feel Anthar's gaze down upon me and I can hear Vincent's quiet laugh. After a moment Serena says, "You poor boy, when did your mother pass?"



With my shoulders slumped, I turn away and I say, "My mother died the day she gave me life."



After a minute the horses trotting the man with the long evergreen cape that is clasped in silver asks, "Who cares for you?"



"The town guards. They take care of me really well, don't they."



Edwin is perplexed and a bit peeved for no one speaks to him like that.



Vincent states, "Vander, I am sure Lord Ruan was asking for the same reason we would. We would like to know how you made a life for yourself. Was there any other family?"



"I do not know who my father was. My mother had two older sisters that kept me clothed and fed until the plague.”



Edwin asks Vincent just above a whisper, "Was his mother a whore?"



Serena, Vincent, and Anthar all turn their heads and look in disbelief. The squire laughs loudly and the guard shakes his head.



I straighten myself against Anthar's front without turning and say, "As I said, Lord Ruan, in my introduction, my mother was a fisher woman, so she hooked fish not men."



The comment allows me to ride in a stewing silence with only the noises of the waking forest and the beat of the horses' hooves. As we go through the forest on one of the main game trails the sun's rays start to dry the spring dew through the treetops. With the little room I have I can see Serena to my right a little back from us and to my left I can see and hear the animals in the forest. My stomach begins to growl. Anthar without stopping takes one hand off his reign and into one of his small saddlebags. He pulls out a small loaf of bread and hands it to me. I nod my thanks as I start to eat the bread.



The morning progresses, the two lords the only ones talking, and Anthar stopping to allow Edwin's servants to catch up, as they seem to continually lag behind us. I spot plenty of evidence of wild boar, deer and small game off the trail. This goes on until the steadiness of the horses trot and the fact that the bread has taken the edge off the hunger and the inactivity that I was not accustomed to, got to me so that I ended up dozing off.



When I wake up, stomach growling, I see that the sun is high and that we are no longer on the game road. We are out of the forest on a main road. I take my elbows and jab Anthar in the gut. But as I lean my head back to hit him in the face Anthar tightens his arms around my body making me unable to slide out as I planned.



In an easy going voice as if I didn't just jab him he asks, "Have a nice nap?"



Serena gently strokes the head of Anthar’s steed. "Vander calm down so that you do not harm yourself. We are not going to hurt you."



I stop struggling defiantly look at Serena demanding, "Then what are you going to do?"



Serena looks to Anthar, her eyes going to his arms then back up to me. "What we agreed on. You still earn coin and food as promised but, more than one day of hunting. It will be a bit longer than that."



Anthar's arms have loosened to where I have some mobility but not enough to escape. As Edwin and Vincent gather on the other side of Anthar's horse and the other two are right behind us. I ask, "Why? Aren't you all supposed to be at the keep tonight for some ritual of marriage?"



Vincent replies, "Why is not necessary for you to know. We could have just left you where you were where we found you."



Edwin, with slight smirk and a toss of his head, adds, "There is a watchtower two miles ahead of us. If you want what the law promises you?"



I force my head away from Edwin's steely gaze. "Fine. When's lunch?"



Serena chuckles as Anthar relaxes his arms back to the loose hold he had on the reigns as he commands his horse to trot once more. Serena looks to Anthar as she also gets her horse moving once again. The rest of the party reforms and starts to follow Anthar once again. I say, "Look I'm hungry unlike you all I didn't get my fill before I started this hunting party. The bread you gave me earlier was not that much."



"Well, what would you prefer fish or fowl? There is a stream about a half a mile up where we might be able to catch something relatively fast and berry bushes around the bank or about an hour and half to two hour ride there is a cozy village tavern that serves pheasant or chicken that is succulent," said Edwin. "This is one of the roads I've been on for my father's trades often."



I am deciding between the idea of watching these noble breeds picking berries and hooking a worm with the possibility of either no meal or work for myself if they prove successful or making them spend coin on me. Vincent speaks up, "I bet the ale they serve is a fine light apple beer or wine."



We ride toward the town of Gekphia. The one road is lined with apple trees, making my mouth water with hunger. Beyond this was the smell of wheat. As we pass the trees, I reach to grab one of the succulent green tart fruit. But Anthar swerves his horse into the middle of the road so I can't grab one. Edwin’s squire rides ahead of us, throwing a half eaten core behind him.



I ask, "Are we there yet? How much farther do we have to go?" I can tell we are close but I am hungry and can tell I’ll be sore from being on this horse. I want off.



Serena, with a small smile that I want to see more of, laughs. "Just around the corner."



We turn the corner to where Edwin's squire and two other young men are waiting for us. They go to the horses and allow us to dismount. Once we dismount, they take the horses to the one of the twenty-four horse stables on each side of the street. When the squire rejoins us, only a minute later we walk into the small town. It shouldn’t be called that really. It was a laid out farming settlement. The standard plus sign street with each half a street having nine houses on each side. At the corner, there are the public buildings of the blacksmith, the tavern, a temple to all the gods, and the government house. Down the end of the street, there is a slaughterhouse and a trading post.



I am still debating on whether to run but I figure since it is such a small town one if not all of them would catch me. Vincent puts his hand on my shoulder and says, "Food is this way."



As we all walk toward the tavern I begin to smell the roasting meats and all thought of running escapes me. Serena and Anthar go in as Vincent and Edwin are behind me along with the squire and the guard that was behind them. We all enter the building and take two tables, which makes the tavern over half full of costumers even though there were only seven others in the room including the tavern keeper and I assume her son. Vincent places me beside Serena and Edwin sit next to her brother. While Anthar, the squire, and the guard takes the other table. The portly middle-aged woman comes to us and places a kiss on Edwin forehead, saying, "Didn't expect you back this way for some time My Lord. Do you want your usual for your whole group?"



"Let's do that but add in a couple of chickens and extra bread and gravy for we have a starving boy here. He may eat the whole thing himself otherwise, Henrietta."



"As you say, my lord, it shall be done. But remember when you were that same age as that young youth. Always hungry for whatever you can get."



Anthar and the guard move their table right next to ours. By the time they have sat down, the boy brings out a bunch of clay goblets that have been plainly decorated with a red apple base color and the stems are green. An older man hobbles out of the kitchen after him with two trays of warm bread, fruit and honey on each. After the boy sets the goblets in front of each of us, and the old man places the one tray of the bread and fruit platter at each of the two tables the boy goes back to the bar area and grabs a bottle of wine and a pitcher of water and brings both to us as the old man enters back into the kitchen.



I notice even as the youth is putting down the water pitcher, Vincent is pouring himself a cup of the wine. So I go to help myself to the bread and fruit. Edwin's hands fly to pick the bread platter as he looks at me with a look that says not so fast. He unsheathes from his belt a straight dual edged knife. He then cuts the bread into four equal chunks. I stare at him but before he finishes cutting the bread, I grab the honey dish and a handful of the berries. Vincent is ignoring this while Serena is watching the two of us smiling. Edwin slides the platter back to the center of the table. I cradle the honey in my arm and grab a loaf. He laughs then calmly, without a word, offers his knife to me. Edwin with his other hand passes the small plates to Serena first then Vincent and himself. That leaves one plate left on the table but it is closer to him then to me. Still offering his knife, that I can't take because I'd have to set something down, he places a chunk of the bread on his plate. Serena and Vincent each grab the remaining pieces and place them on their plates. Now all three of them are staring at me. After a few minutes, Serena bursts out laughing and slides the last plate over to me. I deposit my horde on the plate and take the knife. Vincent and Serena each use their own knifes to smash the berries into the bread while I'm using Edwin's and the honey. I pass the honey back to the center of the table and put the knife next to it.



I eat the food so fast that Edwin says, "Young man, you need to slow down. There is more coming from the kitchen."



I look at him and burp. "Good."



Edwin shakes his head at me and rolls his eyes, Serena giggles and Vincent just pours himself another glass of wine.



Serena after she finishes the food in her mouth asks, "Edwin, you're known here?"



Edwin replies, "Yes, The family that runs this tavern are business associates of our family."



The woman brings out the chickens and gravy and two more loafs of bread. Anthar talks to the guard. The squire, ignoring us, eating his food almost as fast as me.



After I finish stuffing myself with all the food that Edwin has to buy, and after Vincent finishes off the second decanter of wine, Edwin pays the tavern woman, gives her a hug, and gives the boy a gold piece. He sends the squire to get the horses ready and then we leave the tavern.



I decide that if they are going to feed me like this and pay me, I can stay for a little bit and do some honest work for a change.













Chapter Ten





After another long set of hours of riding, my stomach begins to grumble. I look to Serena and ask, "Are we going to eat soon?"



Grinning, Serena looks to Anthar.



Anthar sighs then waves his hand. “We can stop around this bend or the next place there is a clearing.” The next dozen minutes to me seems like an hour as we follow the river around the bend.



We finally find a clearing that is suitable to Anthar for camp. We dismount. The guard and the squire remove the horses’ packs and loosen the saddles by one notch on the straps. The squire then leads the weary animals at a leisurely pace down to the river. Anthar and Serena place their packs at Vincent's feet. They remove their short spears and walk upstream.



Edwin stares after Anthar and Serena. He then grabs two bags walks toward a small clearing about fifty yards off the road. Vincent and the guard start unpacking the seventh horse, as Edwin returns back to the packs that were near Vincent's feet and picks up one of Serena's packs. He takes the gear to the center of the clearing. The guard and Vincent carry the remaining twelve packs in three trips. All the while Edwin gathers sticks and branches his gaze shifting upstream.



Vincent says to me, "If you want to eat you need to work. Go help William by taking the remaining four horses and let them drink. Then follow him back and do what he does." He hands me a small bag.



I look at the bag and back at Vincent thinking, what do I need this for? But I follow what I was told.



I walk through the trees and down to the river. The early golden hour sun is sending its rays on the water gently dancing on the ripples and waves. William is sitting on the shaded bank while the three equines are drinking. William gets up and approaches me grabbing the two reigns from my hand. As he leads the horses and me, I say, "I am supposed to help you with the horses."



He nods. He leads his two to the river, so I lead mine down to the river. He drops the reigns and sits beside them at the edge of the bank. I do the same. We sit in silence while the horses drink their fill.











Chapter Eleven



Shamis 15th 14DVP the 24th year of the reign of Fianguarian King Thamir the 3rd





Holding their spears level with the water, Anthar and Serena wade into the stream up to their knees and wait. When at last Anthar spots a trout swimming along the sandy bottom, he drives his spear in and pulls up nothing. The fish has darted between Serena’s feet. Tempting the gods, Serena plunges her barbed spear into the fish just behind its dorsal fin. Triumphant, she raises it from the river.



"Cursed Henazita," swears Anthar.



Serena knew that this was coming. "Outside of three word answers your only words spoken in the last six hours is to curse to the goddess of luck." She steps up to the bank and releases the trout on her spear with the earlier catch.



Anthar glares at her and goes back to spearing. Serena marches back and stands next to him, patiently waiting for him to say something. Several minutes pass as he spears a half a dozen times at the mocking swimmers, saying nothing. Serena shakes her head but says and does nothing. Finally, his jabs manage to stab a large carp. Serena takes her spear and swings hitting him in the back of his mid thigh with the shaft of her spear. Anthar falls on his knees getting soaked all the way up to above his waist.



Serena barely holding in a laugh, stares down to him, says, "Does that douse the fire in your head or do I need to put that under too?"



Anthar retrieves his spear. Still in the muck, he reaches his hand out. Serena graciously takes his hand after planting her feet firmly in the muck. He takes her hand and stands. When he is almost all the way up, he whips his spear so that the fishtail slaps her across the face. Serena still holding onto Anthar's arm pushes forward with her weight causing Anthar to fall flat on his back soaking thoroughly. "Talk to me."



"Fine." His takes a deep breath as he rises from the muck. He remains silent as he peers into the surroundings. "Your husband to be has invited two additional people to come with us when it was just supposed to be us, to serve him. We had to take a thief who managed to get into the keep and out without being caught by any of my men. And only a few hours later an assassination attempt on me was made. I don't even know if this thief is part of it. And this thief is always hungry. So the rations that I packed for the nine day journey is now short by a third and we have to add another nine days because we have to stop and hunt." He pauses as he catches his breath.



"And go on. I know there's more," Serena acknowledges, rubbing her face with water.



"Can Edwin even hunt or is it just going to be us? If we end up in battle is he going to have our backs or are we going to end up fighting on our own to save him and his servants? Is the thief going to cut and run? What do I do if he or the other boy starts thieving our rations? When we left this morning I had specific instructions from your father that I was in charge of this mission and to keep all of us alive and I don't know if Edwin will follow my lead because he hasn't yet. "



Serena asks, "That's it ??"



Anthar pauses. " uhhh...... Yeah aha "



"A rich pretty boy and his servants and a kid that's all?"



"I packed for four, not seven and one who eats like three. Extra food is going to take time. Time we don't have to waste."



"I'll handle rich pretty boy. Need to figure that out anyway. He will handle his servants and you handle the kid. The rich boy's wealth will aid us well since he has his standards, even more then Vince."



They each pick up the catch. Anthar asks over his shoulder, "You'll handle him, huh?"



With smile filled with mirth and mischief, Serena says, "Well I do have a father, a brother, and you handled pretty well." She transfers the half dozen fish into Anthar's already filled arms and takes the two light spears. She turns and strolls downstream.



Anthar smirks and chuckles under his breath as he joins her.



Serena smirks again and laughs aloud. "Oh and be happy Father didn’t have Tacita come as well. Vincent and his Blade Mage. That would be never ending lessons on the past."











© Copyright 2015 D Barnhart (sideon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2062760-The-life-of-Vander-chapters-5-10