*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2064402-A-Short-Story-of-The-Doctor-and-Ponds
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2064402
I know they already used that, but I forgot, and I was like-"Oops." Hope you enjoy it!
The Doctor shrugged, and Rory just looked around nervously, eyeing the dark trees with their black bark, their branches reaching out to them as if they were alive, and craving vengeance for some misdeed. The fog was like a blind man’s eye, milky white, and preventing them from seeing the rest of the forest, or rather, concealing them from whatever lurked in the wood’s depths.It was terrifying. There was no sign of animals anywhere, not even a bug, or a squirrell. But the thing that scared them most
was the utter quiet of the whole place. It muffled every sound,every single one. Amy herself, couldn’t help but whisper, though, there seemed to be no reason to do so. The TARDIS, blue as she was, seemed almost pale in that place, broken branches scattered around her. Her light flickered weakly. Doctor leaned over, and motioned for Amy and Rory to listen to him. “We can make it to her if we move fast, but don’t make a sound. Not one.” Amy opened her mouth to speak, but shut it quickly, and looked around. Rory and the Doctor followed suit.. Something was making it’s way through the trees, something so frightening, but at the same time, so utterly impossible. A great white shark.. The eyes of the huge monster were as black as coal, razor-sharp teeth gleaming, their serrated edges stained a faint red.
Blood.
It propelled itself smoothly through the air, as if it were water, controlling where it chose to go with it’s fins and tail. IT was just above them now, the pale belly just an arm’s length away, they could just reach out and stroke it. But the horrible sight of blood made their assumptions run wild with blind fear, and they dared not. The Doctor looked at the gigantic leviathan with awed fascination. HE would have touched it, but he knew that the sight of blood on such a creature’s jaws, especially a shark’s, was never a sign of anything good.
Amy’s eyes were wide with fear, and she clutched Rory’s left arm in a vice-like grip. Silent as death, and as quickly as it had come, the predatory fish disappeared into the mist, leaving no trace of whether it had even been there or not. It could have been a dream. But no, the image of the shark was seared onto their memory’s. It wasn’t a dream. Maybe it was just all a bad, bad dream.
Oh, how Amy wished she could just pinch her arm and wake up in a warm, comfortable, not to mention safe, bed, with the warm sunlight streaming through the windows, and birds singing, she wanted more than anything to be away from this ghastly place, with it’s non-living silence. There was no such option..
This wasn’t the sort of sleep you could wake up from and forget about. No… This was real. You cannot wake up from the worst kind of living nightmare. Reality. The Doctor spoke softly. “Wait a minute, then we run to the TARDIS. Run for your lives.” His voice was like cold water, waking up Amy from her petrified state of mind, “You think I can’t outrun a fish?” Amy whispered scornfully, attempting to regain some of her bravado . “Well, technically, it’s swimming, in the air, so, it doesn’t seem to have a problem with overcoming gravity.” Rory said in a hushed voice, looking around them warily.
The Doctor took out his sonic screwdriver, and scanned the surrounding earth and trees, the normally, loud, annoying garbling noise of the screwdriver seemed to be on mute. He paused , and checked it, closed it, and put the screwdriver back in his pocket, and looked around, his eyes searched the ground, the air, and his expression suggested that he was contemplating on the graveyard-like wood they were in.
Amy hated this, this, this dead quiet, this stillness that burned her ears, the silence that made her want to run, hide, or scream. ‘Anywhere but here.’, she thought to herself.
© Copyright 2015 Card of Anxiety (vaticancameos at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2064402-A-Short-Story-of-The-Doctor-and-Ponds