*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2064977-My-Favorite-Present
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2064977
Thanks to her favorite present four of six baby birds are dead.

My Favorite Present


     Janni got a lot of presents on her eleventh day of her birth. And the one she loved the most was her bow and arrow. She played with it all day. And slept with it by her side at night. Her parents didn’t like that at all. They were afraid she would roll over and cut herself.

     About a week after she got it was when the trouble all began. While playing with it Janni accidently killed a mother bird. When she went to see if it was okay Janni discovered six baby bird eggs. She took the nest into her Sleeping Room and put it in a basket. Then she hid it behind a large antique vase so that her parents didn’t see what she had done.

     “If my parents find out about this they will take away favorite present.” Janni kept her eyes on those eggs day and night. She hadn’t played with her favorite present since then. And she wasn’t going to until those baby birds hatched.

     Janni didn’t want to leave those eggs alone even for a minute. But she needed to eat, to sleep and she had to go to Learning Classes. It was during Learning Classes that the baby birds where hatched.

     As soon as they came out of their shells they were flying around the room. But being in a confined space got to them. One died while trying to fly out a closed window. Another one hit the antique and knocked it over. It smashed onto the ground. That caused another bird to hit the door hard enough to kill itself. One more bird died before Janni got home that day. It died when it saw its reflection – and went in for a closer look.
© Copyright 2015 PureSciFi (spacefaction at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2064977-My-Favorite-Present