*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2065833-Zippers-Tail
by K8McP
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #2065833
Quickfeet the Rabbit loves to pull practical jokes on his friends.
Zipper was a green snake. Beautiful diamonds like this <> ran from the top of his head to the end of his sleek tail. Whenever he shook his tail, it made a delicious sound. Zipper was very proud of that tail, and spent most of his time slithering around in a circle showing it off. All the other animals in Forest Village were becoming tired of Zipper's constant bragging.

One day, Zipper was sunning himself with his splendid tail carefully stretched out. He flicked his long tongue; vibrations of something coming tingled along the log and through his slender body. It was Quickfeet Rabbit hopping by.
"Hey! What's up, Zipper?" Quickfeet asked, grinning.
"lo, Quickfeet!" Zipper opened one eye. His tongue flicked out. "I'm just trying to get a suntan my tail’s a little pale, don't you think?"
Quickfeet glanced at the snake's tail “Maybe," he said. "I guess I never really noticed.” He hopped closer. “Why?”
Zipper coiled up into a spiral. He began sputtering, "Why? Never noticed? Can't you see how it looks as pasty as an old worm?"
The rabbit shrugged. "If you say so." He began hopping away.

Zipper was upset by the rabbit's comment. "At least I HAVE a tail!" he hissed. "That's better than having a . . . a . . . powder puff like yours!"
Quickfeet paused for a moment. "A powder puff? Really?" He chuckled, and then hopped off.
“Silly rabbit!" Zipper hissed. “I should eat his cousin!" He slithered angrily from the log and down the hole to his den.
In the meantime, Quickfeet hopped to Big Meadow. There were several other animals there. "Hey guys," he asked. "Do you think I have a ‘powder puff' tail?" He turned around trying to see for himself.
Poofer Skunk shook his head. "I'll bet that's what Zipper Snake told you. He told me mine looked like someone's ratty old fur coat!"
Twitter Bird hopped to a branch above Quickfeet's head. "He said mine looked like a worn out feather duster!" Twitter's bright red tail quivered in anger.

The other animals all began to chatter at once.
Quickfeet held up his paws. When everyone settled down, he asked, "What should we do to stop his bragging? Any ideas?" He looked around. Everyone muttered, but no one offered a suggestion.
Finally, Antler Elk said slowly, "Why don't you do something, Quickfeet? You are good at figuring out how to annoy others!"
All the animals laughed as Quickfeet was a well-known trickster and often pulled silly jokes on the other animals. Red-faced, Quickfeet agreed, “I'll think about it." Everyone cheered.

That night, Quickfeet paced the floor. "What to do," he muttered. Then, a wonderful idea hit! Chuckling, Quickfeet went to bed.
The next morning, as soon as the sun began peeking through the trees, Quickfeet hurried to Sunning Rock, Zipper's favorite spot for his morning nap.

Quickfeet peeked around a small tree to see if Zipper was in sight. "There he is, “he chuckled quietly, "all stretched out and snoring away!" Quickfeet tiptoed to the rock, not disturbing the sleeping snake.
Reaching up, he gently tied Zipper's long tail into a little bow, and then carefully slid off the rock.
Once behind the safety of the tree, he peeked back at the tied up in knots snake. Zipper was still fast asleep.
Giggling, the jokester hurried to Big Meadow to tell the others about the practical joke he'd just pulled. With a laugh, he added, "Wait until you see”
He broke off as Zipper wriggled slowly and painfully into the Meadow. At first, all of the animals laughed at the wrinkled, knotted snake’s predicament. But as they watched the poor snake tumble about, trying desperately to shake the knot out of his tail, they began to feel ashamed of themselves.
Zipper was boastful about his tail, but he was a good friend.
Twitter Bird stuck her bill between one of the knots as Antler Elk gently pulled it apart.
"I'm very sorry, Zipper," Quickfeet said to the wincing snake, "This is all my fault. I'm so ashamed."

"It's our fault, too, Zipper," Flattail Beaver said. "We talked Quickfeet into doing it. We don't deserve a friend like you."
All at once, with one final pull, Zipper was free. He leaped for joy! His long body twisted around; his wonderful tail quivered and rattled a happy song. "I'm free!" he shouted.

Then, suddenly, Zipper stopped his joyous dance to curl up into a spiral. Slowly and surely, he began to raise himself from the center until he was high enough to stare at his tormentors.
The forest animals all moved back. Had they ruined everything? Would they ever be friends with Zipper again?
Without even a hiss of warning, Zipper began to laugh.
He hissed, "Oh, you guys! What a joke you pulled on me. That was good, and I deserved it for chattering about my tail."
Relieved, the other animals all began to laugh with Zipper.
When everyone settled down, Zipper Snake promised to never again brag. Quickfeet promised to never pull any more practical jokes, but no one noticed his crossed paws!
© Copyright 2015 K8McP (k8mcp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2065833-Zippers-Tail