*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2065863-My-Friend-the-Delcan
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2065863
On Earth they are called a Turkeys. But on Thankon they are called Delcans.

My Friend the Delcan


     “What do you mean you’re not coming home for dinner. Of course, you are?”

     “No, I’m not. The only reason why you want me to go home with you is because you are going to eat me.”

     “Why would I do that. I thought we are friends.”

     “We can’t be friends. You are a Human. And I am a Delcan.”

     “I know you are a Delcan. But that doesn’t mean we are friends.”

     “We both know what is coming up in a few weeks. It not called The Delcan Festival for nothing.”

     “Why do you think it’s called that. It’s to celebrate the Delcan.”

     “That’s not what I have been told. It’s not even The Delcan Festival. You just made up that name to fool us.”

     “What festival do you think it is? It’s always been called The Delcan Festival to me.”

     “I don’t know what holiday you call it. We are all are a bunch of dumb Delcans. All we know is that once a year at this time you celebrate this holiday. And we are your main course to eat.”

     “That isn’t true. We call it The Delcan Festival because each year we want to celebrate you giving our planet life again. When you came to Thankon ten thousand years ago we were almost on death’s door. You taught us how to survive by growing our own food and what plants were safe to eat. And yes what animals we could kill and eat. But the Delcan were never an animal to be eaten. That would be like us eating each other.”

     “I don’t know. I’m still not sure who I should be listening to. If we are so worshipped by you then why are there are only around fifty million of us. And about this time each year that number drops almost down to zero.”

     “Because you are just like Humans. You live and you die: From old age, accidents, murder etc. - but not from being eaten.”

     “You’re probably right. But I just don’t know.”

     “What do I have to do to convince you that I am telling you the truth? Do I have to eat another Human to prove it?”

     “You would do that for me wouldn’t you. Maybe I am thinking about this too much.”

     “Haven’t I been taking care of you for all of your life. Came by to see you, talk to you, almost every day. Made sure you have been feed. Been there when you were sick. I made sure you were on this Group Resort. Didn’t I. Why would I do all of that if we weren’t friends?”

     “Okay I will go home with you for dinner. Let’s go before I change my mind.”

     ‘The Delcan couldn’t see the big smile that was on my face as we headed for my SpaceCar. These Delcans really are stupid birds. My family is going to eat good this holiday season.’
© Copyright 2015 PureSciFi (spacefaction at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2065863-My-Friend-the-Delcan