*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2066973-Bully
Rated: E · Fiction · Emotional · #2066973
Written for So Emotional - Prompt is 'remorse'. 298 words
Bully


Harriet stood before the wooden door. She swallowed hard, fighting the nausea that filled her stomach. She knocked and closed her eyes. She had to do this.

A rosy cheeked woman holding a blonde haired child answered the door. “Yes?” She didn’t recognise Harriet.

“Oh, hi, ugh…” Harriet stared at the floor, glancing up at her old schoolmate. “Melanie, it’s me. Harriet Wileman. We were at Riley Comp’ together.”

Harriet watched Melanie’s head tilt to one side as she studied Harriet carefully. “Oh my God, it is you.” She paused, shaking her head. “Come in.”

Melanie busied herself making coffee and Harriet followed close behind, trying to help, trying to find a way to confess her sins.

When the two women sat, Melanie took a sip of coffee and waited for Harriet to speak. Harriet’s eyes watered, the tears gracing the large dark circles under her eyes. Harriet stared at the table and said, “Melanie, I have a daughter. Emily. She’s seven. She’s been having problems at school. Some girls are bullying her. It reminded me of you, Melanie.”

Harriet shifted in her seat. “We treated you so badly. Can you ever forgive me? I understand if you can’t, I see now how bullying destroys children. I didn’t stop to think at the time, but that’s no excuse. I can’t sleep for thinking about you. Can I do anything to make up for it?”

Harriet’s voice trailed off. Her hands shook as she stared into her coffee cup. She was surprised when she felt Melanie’s hand cover hers. “Yes, I was screwed up for a while. But I’m over it now. I have a wonderful life.”

“Really?” Harriet sniffed.

“Really. Just teach your children the evils of bullying.”

Harriet walked away feeling lighter. Next, to see Carmel Jones.

298 words
© Copyright 2015 Choconut ~ Dragon Tamer (purplesunday at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2066973-Bully