*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2067704-Sang-froid
Rated: E · Short Story · Religious · #2067704
A contest entry
 Sang-froid  (E)
A contest entry
#2067704 by Chris Breva


Inquiring Minds contest

Day One:

Sang-froid

The meaning of this word is basically calmness or coolness, usually excessive in the face as in the face of danger. For example in the movie “Patton” there is a scene early in the movie during which General Patton is discussing air support with the British commander who is in charge of providing air support for First Army. The British commander declares that the allies have complete air supremacy at that time. At that same moment two German planes begin bombing First Army’s Headquarters. General Patton says “By God that’s enough!”
He then exits his headquarters via a window, and stands in the center of a street shooting at the oncoming German plane as it approaches and strafes his position. He doesn’t budge but continues to shoot until his six-shooters are both empty. Thus he exhibits “sang-froid” in the face of supreme danger. Now for a story using the term sang-froid.

Sang-froid
Some people called it sang-froid. Other people called it nerves of steel. To others it was lethargy. To still others it was a combination of factors. Sam knew better however. He knew it was deep faith and acceptance of God’s will for his life. You see Sam was a convicted murderer sitting on death row. His execution was scheduled to occur in just a few hours. It was scheduled to take place at midnight the next morning. It was now six o’clock the evening before his execution. His lawyer was waiting to hear from the Governor. His life was said to be in the hands of the governor of the great State of Florida. However Sam knew better. Sam knew that his life was actually in God’s hands. Despite what any man may believe, Sam knew that ultimately it was God who was in charge. Therefore if God was willing to let the great State of Florida execute him, Sam was willing to except God’s will. If God chose to let Sam live, then Sam knew that the governor would either commute his sentence or sign a full pardon. At any rate Sam knew that his fate did not rest in the hands of men, but rather in the hands of God.
“Listen Padre” Sam told the priest “I appreciate the fact that you care enough to be here with me. However I am not a Catholic. I am a Christian. I know that you don’t think there is a difference but my church and my Bible teach me that there is a difference. If you don’t mind I’d much rather spend my remaining time surrounded by my fellow Christians. I’d rather spend it with members of my church from back home. I understand that my minister is here. Why can I not see him? Does the warden really think he’s going to slip a file in to me or something?”
“I’ll see what I can do” the priest answered. “However I doubt that the warden will allow a conjugal visit under the circumstances. The security risks would be deemed much too high. However I will check into it.”
Much to Sam’s surprise and the surprise of everybody else, the warden allowed Sam’s minister to visit him. Of course the minister had to be subjected to a strip search, but under the circumstances everybody understood this. Soon Sam was sitting face to face with Roger McNeal, the minister of Laurel Creek Church of Christ.
“How are you feeling” Roger asked Sam, not really knowing what else to say.
“I’m ready for whatever the Master deems to happen with me” Sam replied. “So many of these people around here think that my fate lies in the hands of the governor. Why do they seem so bent on believing that man is in charge? Yes. I believe that man does indeed control his own destiny. I say that because each of us decides where we will be in eternity by the decisions we make in this life. However I believe that God is the Who that decides when a man dies. Just because the State of Florida has scheduled me to die at midnight tonight does not necessarily mean that it will be so. God is the One who has the power of life and death. It isn’t in the hands of any man.”
“I admire your faith” Roger replied. “many people would have given up in discouragement by now. Is there anything you wish for me to tell your family or the church?”
“Yes” Sam replied. “If I am executed, tell them that I was ready to go. I know that if I am executed it will merely be a transition for me from one life to another. You can also tell them that I appreciate the fact that they have supported me and sought to prove my innocence through the years. It won’t be the first time a state has executed an innocent man and it likely would not be the last unfortunately. However the state ultimately has no power unless that power is God given. Therefore I would be executed at the direction of my Master. If that is the case my life is and always was His to do with as He pleases. Tell everybody to continue steadfastly in the faith. My biggest fear is that some may become discouraged and blame God if I am executed. I wouldn’t want that. I’d want them to know that God’s will was done and I’d want them to accept God’s will. Grieve me yes, but don’t get angry and turn away from God as a result.”
“I’ll tell them” Roger replied.
Roger had to admit that he admired Sam’s sang-froid attitude toward it all. Sam stuck to his word. He was executed at the stroke of midnight. He died knowing that God’s will was being done. He died an honorable death. Even the warden said that Sam had been a model prisoner and had faced his death with a coolness unsurpassed by anybody he had ever witnessed being executed.


Word count: 1,006
79 lines
© Copyright 2015 Chris Breva (marvinschrebe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2067704-Sang-froid