*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2068198-Winter-Fun
by QPdoll
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2068198
Join Stephanie and her family on a day of sledding fun.
It snowed six inches overnight. Valarie and Jimmy were so excited to go out and play in it.

Dan bought the kids a new sled last year on clearance. Now they had a total of three sleds. They were waiting for snow, and it was finally here.

We all piled into our four-wheel drive truck. As he did every year when it snowed, Dan spun the truck around the cul-de-sac down the street.

"Stop it, Dan. You know it makes me dizzy and sick."

He responded exactly like he did every year—he laughed.

"Oh, come on. It's fun," he said and patted my leg.

"Yeah, fun for you," I said as I flicked his hand.

"The kids think it's fun, too, right kids?"

Jimmy slapped his dad on the shoulder, "Yeah, dad."

Valarie gave her dad a mean stare. "No, dad."

"I like the slipping and sliding. I just didn't like the spinning," I told him as we slipped and slid our way to the local high school where the best sledding hills were.

Dan parked next to a truck that was blanketed in fresh mud, all the way to the windshield.

"Hey, it looks like someone's been out having some fun today."

"Sure, that's what you would call fun," I said as I rolled my eyes. I pulled on my hat and went to catch up with the kids. They already had the sleds out of the truck and were headed for the snow packed hills. Try as I might, I couldn't keep up with them and fell twice on my way up. Boy, there's nothing like eating snow after a face plant.

When I finally reached the top Valarie said, "Gee mom. It took you long enough."

I gave her a shove. "Sit down and I'll get on behind you."

Just then Dan and Jimmy stepped up next to us. They decided that we should have a three-man race, Valarie and I making up the third man.

After a couple of smaller kids slid past us I heard Valarie yell, "On your mark. Get set. Go."

We pushed off and were in the lead with snow flying up all around us. Valarie's hair had fallen out from her hat and was whipping in the wind as we slid down the hill. Slowly Dan started to gain on us. I stuck out my hand, scooped up some snow and flung it back at him hoping to slow him down.

Unfortunately my reaching out into the snow slowed us down instead. Dan reached ahead of him, grabbed our sled and catapulted himself forward. Then he was neck and neck with Jimmy who started pushing himself faster and Dan followed suit. Jimmy, being lighter, practically flew down the hill and he reached the bottom first. Dan was second and we, for obvious reasons, made it down last.

I put my hands on my hips.

"I challenge you to another race, cheater."

Valarie and Jimmy stared at us, smiling.

"You two go down together this time. I'm going to beat your dad."

"You're on, and in your dreams will you beat me," he snickered and took off to the top of the hill.

This time I only slipped once but made it to the top just after Dan. Valarie and Jimmy must have decided to stay at the bottom and watch since they hadn't made a move.

I sat down on the sled next to Dan and his sled.

"One, two, three," Dan called out.

I was just behind him as we slid our way straight down the hill. Just as I was gaining, a little girl fell off of her sled right into my path and I had to bail. I heard Dan laughing the rest of the way down.

Letting out a big huff, I climbed back onto the sled and took the losing trek down.

"Ha, you lost," Dan smirked.

"No fair, interference."

"One more time then?" he asked.

"You betcha."


© Copyright 2015 QPdoll (eager2write at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2068198-Winter-Fun