*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2072280-A-Bleak-Future
by Ismael
Rated: E · Short Story · Environment · #2072280
the way we are going this could very well be considered non fiction.
The sea spray bellowed aloft as the wave crashed against the mural of broken rocks and twisted metal. Like a monstrous entity that dwells in nightmares it retreated into its lair only to recoil and pound the coast with as much viciousness as each time before.
Adam took a step back, amazed by the force with which the ocean fought.
Fought? This wasn't a fight anymore. That battle was long lost. The ocean had won. This was nothing more than utter humiliation. Like spitting onto your opponents face when he was down.
Another wave crashed and sent the cold mist of the Atlantic showering on him.
He heard the soft steps of someone walking onto the slab of concrete that jotted out over the rubble of their last stand against the ocean.
"All spacecraft are ready, General. We are awaiting your command." A voice behind him said.
Adam hesitated to respond. He let out a quivering breath, longing for a distant past that seemed to have never existed, lost in the turmoil of the ocean.
He looked over at the remains of the city silhouetted against the rising sun, the ruined state of the once glorious skyline hidden behind a mask of shadows. To his south was the stone lady whose torch protruded out of the water, broken from her restraints. Free at last.
"There is no point wondering what could have been." The man behind him said.
Adam still didn't respond, his throat burned from the air he breathed. He knew he shouldn't be outside for too long but his feet hesitated to move, to leave behind his home.
What could have been? That wasn't what he was thinking. He was long past regret. But what lay before him, that unknown future for his kind was what engrossed his mind.
Adam turned to look at the man behind him but before he could speak a loud rumble captured his attention and his gaze returned to the east. A large mass was separating from the silhouette. It bowed to a side and crashed loudly into the water, creating waves in its wake which were then devoured by the lager swells that came in from the unhindered ocean.
Baring it no longer, Adam turned and walked past the man.
"Give the order for all ships to launch."
He walked off the slab not before hearing a silent sob behind him which he ignored as he walked towards his ship.

© Copyright 2016 Ismael (gita90 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2072280-A-Bleak-Future