*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2072377-Lesson-2-Discussion
Rated: E · Assignment · Activity · #2072377
A discussion for the Between Takes Cafe
The Book of Strange New Things
By Michael Faber

Lesson 2: For Discussion


1. What point of view was the story written from? Answer: 3rd person Omniscient

2. What type of “voice” did the narrator have? I read a nonfiction book written by Michael Faber. The voice used in “The Book of Strange New Things” comes from his own experience. He is a spiritual leader in his life. The voice of the narrator speaks with experience. It is a practical voice that views the good and bad in people without judgment. It is able to speak for each individual character about real experience in different life circumstances. The voice is able to describe in depth and make the reader feel the reality of the information in the story.

3. Why do you think it worked well for this story? The characters were experiencing new situations in their lives. The narrator understood the emotions and patterns of action, that was forming experience within the characters. It worked because this was a story about: A. Moving to a new planet B. Preaching the Gospel to a new race of people. C. The narrator’s explanations in P/V could be the voice of God explaining missionary work to a new audience. D. Also showing Christians how reaching out to needy people is done.

4. How can you apply this to your own story? Faber drew the reader into every aspect of the Character’s actions. This author made the reader live through the knowledge of what each character experienced. In order to be a good writer, you have to give your characters a believable life. That is what I would like to be able to apply, being able to write reality into the lives of fictitious characters.
© Copyright 2016 Apondia (judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2072377-Lesson-2-Discussion