*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2073665-Lady-Dragon-Riders---Chapter-Three
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #2073665
The adventures of Analia and Elise continue in a far off land.
THE LONE TRAVELER CHRONICLES
Book Two – Lady Dragon Riders

Chapter Three

“It may not be a very smart thing to leave the village so soon after the brigands attacked the squad of soldiers,” Elise stated as they slowly trotted down the small road towards a distant tree line. “They may have made off with the Deacon’s wagon and coin, but they may still be in the same area hoping for more travelers to rob.”

Analia nodded her head. “I agree, but Geoffrey knows that we are not who we claim to be. He found my father’s ring in my coin bag when it dropped, a royal signet ring, and he thinks we’re either thieves who rob the nobility or conceivably nobility ourselves. He was cunning enough to hide his thoughts and suspicions from the innkeeper so he may be planning to take advantage of that knowledge to enrich himself. I have no doubt he will eventually decide to follow us.”

“It was apparent that he is more than a simple sergeant,” Elise thoughtfully replied. “He appeared to be an educated man and the posting was clearly beneath his abilities. He must have fallen from the good graces of some local lord or one of those strange clerics who seem to have a lot of power and influence in this land.”

“Perhaps we should cut though that stand of forest up ahead and angle south instead of east,” Analia suggested pointing to the thick trees in the near distance.

“If he’s any kind of tracker at all, he would never fall for it,” Elise noted. “As soon as our tracks left the road and failed to show up several miles further on, he would backtrack and realize we were trying to throw him off our trail. Might be better to ambush the ambusher and find out just what his intentions are.”

Half a mile into the tree line they found a good place to leave the small road, a thick carpet of leaves would hide their hoof prints and they could ride within the slightly open spaces to prevent themselves from bending or breaking small limbs. It would take a decent tracker to follow their trail. An hour later, they came to a small stream no more than five feet across with the ground rising up on the other side to a small embankment.

They crossed and dismounted in an open clearing and Analia took the horses while Elise went back to obscure their trail. After tying their mounts to a stout tree limb, Analia walked back to the overhanging bank where they could watch their back trail. The afternoon was refreshingly clear and the scent of the evergreens lent a soothing fragrance to the whispering forest. Birds were singing in the upper branches of the trees with a few squawking at the presumptuous invasion of their pristine domain.

I should contact Whiff and have him join us, Analia thought. It would be nice to have our war bows. Just as she was thinking the thought, Whiff cut in. “Where are you, Little Lady?” he mind-spoke, concern in his thoughts.

“We’re several miles east of the village and in a thick growth of forest” Analia returned. “I don’t think we are in any immediate danger, just hiding to see if we’re being followed.”

“Me and Cali are at least half an hour from your position, but we’re heading that way now.”

A few moments later they heard a rustling in the distance coming from their back trail and the noise of the birds died out. Elise signaled for Analia to move further down on the embankment so they could catch the intruder between them. They finally caught sight of their quarry, it was Geoffrey and he was glancing right and left looking for signs of their passing. As soon as he reached the small stream they boldly stood.

“Why are you following us?” Elise asked. “Do you intend to rob us?” She held a dagger in her hand and Analia brought her quarterstaff to the en garde position.

Geoffrey was surprised by their sudden appearance but displayed a cool posture of nonchalance. “No, my Lady, I came to offer my assistance. These forests are dangerous and the outlaws may still be around. I thought perhaps three would stand a better chance than two. I can assure you that my intent is honorable”

“What makes you think we cannot take care of ourselves?” Analia returned.

“I just assumed that two lovely young ladies, noble ladies, might not have the necessary skills and training to thwart dangerous adversaries. You may have my weapons if it will make you more agreeable to my proposal.”

“And what proposal might that be, Sur?” Analia asked, “And what gives you the impression that we are nobility?”

Geoffrey smiled and rested his hands casually on the pommel of his saddle. “The signet ring you carry belongs to a King or Emperor, my Lady. Word would have filtered throughout the kingdom if it had been stolen, even as far as a backwater village like the last one. The ring was given to you by someone who trusted you to use it wisely, perhaps your father, an uncle, or another royal personage. Therefore, I conclude that you are of the nobility. As for my proposal, I offer you my services as a hired swordsman and guide since you are obviously not from these parts, or perhaps not even from this kingdom.”

Analia held out her staff and winked at Elise. Within seconds six daggers were embedded in a small oak tree two feet to the right of Analia. They were all in a vertical row and a perfect five inches apart. “We do have some skills,” she smiled, noting the unbelievable look on Geoffrey’s face. “We will accept your offer, Ser, primarily for the information we can garner from your knowledge of this realm. You are correct, I am the daughter of Emperor John III of the Empire of Angalund, however, we are not here in an official capacity as of yet, we simply wish to explore, to know what lies over the next horizon.”

“I am yours to command, my Lady,” Geoffrey smiled. “Fortunately, I stumbled across you early in your adventure. There is no possible way you could have fooled an educated cleric or a man like Baron Blackstone. Your unusual accent and regal manner would have certainly given you away.”

Analia nodded for him to follow them to where they had tied their mounts. Elise retrieved her daggers and fell in behind Geoffrey, sweeping away any hoof marks he left behind. Just as they spotted their horses, a dozen or more men stepped out of the thick brush and surrounded them, long bows nocked with arrows.

Another brigand rode from the thick underbrush. “Wot ‘ave we !ere?” he stated glancing at the ruffians standing around them. “I do believe its Sir Geoffrey and two tasty little morsels. He was tall, very slim, and dressed in forest green. His filthy dark hair was tied behind his head in a ponytail and he wore a dirty skull cap and he had a patch over his left eye. He was clean shaven but the ripe stench coming from him was a sign that he seldom bathed and his too large mouth was full of yellow and rotting teeth. He held an old two edged sword in his right hand and the other brigands all held long bows.

“Eur levies held us off at Lidlow Point, Geoffrey,” the brigand continued. Eu must ave trained the blighters pretty good, but, we got eu now. Eu been a thorn in our side for too long. Man can’t make a decent livin’ wit you messin’ things up.”

Analia noticed no trace of fear on Geoffrey’s features, if truth be told; he actually smiled at the filthy brigand as if he was a long lost friend. She noted that Geoffrey wore no armor except for a jerkin of chainmail, and the bodkin point arrows already nocked by the archers could easily penetrate such minor protection.

“Raymond and I once served together in the King’s Army,” Geoffrey stated, noticing her latent curiosity. “He’s the man responsible for my fall from grace and subsequent demotion. As he stated, I was once, Sir Geoffrey, with a family and small estate. Raymond learned of my minor wealth through our casual friendship, very casual friendship, and raided my steading, raped and killed my wife, and butchered my young son and daughter. I deserted my post two years hence to find and deal with him, but, he’s been a very slippery bastard.”

Analia felt a pang of sympathy for Geoffrey. His entire family murdered by this evil brigand, his life torn asunder leaving him with nothing but the unquenchable need for revenge. He could be no older than thirty years of age, yet, he had endured so much misery and anguish. Her judgement told her that he was a man of honor and genuine respect. “You said you were bastard born?” she smiled.

“Sorry, I lied my Lady,” he replied. “I did not think at the time we would ever meet again and I have forfeited my past and have a stain on my honor. I wished merely to place myself in the appropriate perspective.”

“Nuff o’ this jabbering,” Raymond spat. “Down off eur ‘orse, Geoffrey, I want eu on eur knees when I removes eur head.” He smiled at the ladies and signaled for his archers to stand ready for any sudden moves as he quickly dismounted from his own horse.

Geoffrey started to obediently dismount, pulling his weight from the saddle and his left leg over the saddle and pommel. Wrong side, Analia quickly thought suddenly aware that something was going to happen. Before Geoffrey completed the maneuver, he spurred his mount forward and to the right forcing it to panic and run into Raymond who was caught completely by surprise. Goffrey’s body lay flat against the horse’s right side protecting him from the archers to his left, and the archers to the right were caught off guard.

Elise rapidly pulled her daggers and hit the three closest archers in their necks. One loosened his drawn arrow into the air and the others continued to stare in shock. Analia took advantage of the pandemonium and knocked another brigand out with her quarterstaff. Sir Geoffrey dropped to the ground, stood quickly, and drew his long sword advancing menacingly on Raymond who had unsteadily risen to his knees but was still groggy from the fall he had just taken. Within seconds, Geoffrey’s blade was deep in Raymond’s midsection and a spurt of bright red blood poured out running along the channel of the sword. Raymond stayed on his knees rocking back and forth and holding his midsection as Geoffrey quickly removed his blade. It was a mortal wound that would take some time before death eventually found him.

Suddenly, a dozen or more men and horses galloped past them screaming and hysterically yelling. They heard an ear splitting roar and could see the small trees and underbrush being ripped apart about twenty yards into the wood line. The remaining archers took off at a fast run to catch up with their fellow outlaws. A huge figure ambled into sight, swaying back and forth on short bandy legs.

“A dragon!” Sir Geoffrey yelled.

Analia stared at the frightening creature. It certainly resembled a dragon, a little smaller than Whiff with very short legs and long sharp claws. Its wings were absurdly small and incapable of providing enough power and mass to allow the thing to fly. Its snout had a small and sharply protruding horn on its tip and its alligator like mouth was full of six inch razor sharp teeth. Gray metallic colored scales covered its entire body including a long twenty foot lizard-like tail. Within its mouth it held what appeared to be the bloody torn off leg of a man. The thing’s beady yellow eyes stared at them as if it was trying to make a decision as to whether or not they were worth its time.

As it ambled forward, they slowly backed up glancing over to see that their mounts had broken the halters and ran off in panic. They continued to back towards the small embankment with small measured steps. The creature suddenly advanced and spat the leg from its mouth and quickly bit down on Raymond’s head, tearing it from his body and swallowing it in one gulp as if it were eating a large cabbage. It then eagerly lapped the blood which was spouting from Raymond’s neck.

Analia glanced up to see the mighty wings of Whiff and Cali as they glided down and landed between her and the monster. Geoffrey’s face quickly turned a pale white at their sudden arrival but he did not panic. Whiff and Cali slowly advanced on the creature, flames gushing from Whiff’s jaws. The thing quickly turned and fled in panic, one of its eyes still on fire as it pushed its massive bulk through the shredded underbrush.

Analia rushed over to Whiff and wrapped her arms around his neck. “Thank you, Whiff,” she mind-spoke. “That thing has an appetite for humans.”

“Disgusting creature,” Whiff returned. “We’ve heard of them but they are very rare. I think that’s how we real dragons got the blame for eating burned flesh and killing humans. As your man friend stated, the people around here call them dragons. I can assure you that we dragons would never claim the ugly things as kin.”

Sir Geoffrey was squatting on his haunches with his sword stuck in the ground before him. His face had regained some color but his eyes were still wide with the adrenaline that had been pumped into his system. As Analia walked up, he smiled and shook his head. “You two are full of surprises,” he muttered.

“Where we come from there are flying dragons and great flying birds,” Analia stated smiling down at him. “They are our friends and we are known as the Dragon Riders. I can communicate with them through what I refer to as mind-speak, but it is not magic and I am not a necromancer or wizard. They were our transport to your kingdom and they will not harm anyone unless we are threatened. We could not simply fly around your land for obvious reasons, so we elected to use mounts. As I said before, we are not here for any nefarious reasons or to spy on your kingdom.”

“Good choice,” Geoffrey stood, apparently satisfied with the explanation. “If the clerics saw you riding those flying dragons, they would have you burned alive at the stake as witches. I’ll go see if I can find our mounts.”

“They’re about fifty yards in that direction,” Analia pointed to the east. “The brigands were too frightened to round them up.”

“So, you mind-speak to horses too?” Geoffrey shook his head. “And people?”

“No, Whiff spotted them as he was gliding in to rescue us,” Analia replied. “I mind-speak only to the dragons and war birds, not humans either.”

Geoffrey nodded towards Elise.

“She doesn’t mind-speak,” Analia stated. “She is a squire, warrior, tracker, Dragon Rider, and my best friend.”

When Geoffrey returned with their mounts and a string of seven other horses that had once belonged to the brigands, they decided to move up stream to make camp for the evening as twilight was nearing. Analia asked about burying the outlaws, but Sir Geoffrey shook his head and told her they belonged to the wolves and other scavengers. They were not men of honor and did not deserve a proper burial. Whiff and Cali decided to hang around until daybreak in the event the monster decided to return for another roasting, which was very doubtful but entirely possible.

That evening they dined on smoked ham slices and bread and cheese they had purchased from the inn and washed their small meal down with clear spring water. There was little talk around the small camp fire as they were completely exhausted from the day’s harrowing events. There was no need to post a guard as the dragons would quickly arouse them if any threats came near so they rolled in their warm cloaks and were quickly sound asleep.

They arose at dawn and Elise prepared a small fire for their morning tea. She chose sassafras as it was one of her favorites and added a touch of mint to her own cup. Geoffrey smelled the unusual tea but decided against a cup of his own, instead, he warmed himself a cup of spiced wine.

While they were breaking their morning fast with more strips of smoked ham and cheese, they glanced up to see a giant figure standing just outside the thick underbrush leaning on a stout oak tree. It appeared to be a man, a colossal man, wearing pieces of different material sewn together to cover his loins and upper thighs. His massive chest was bare and his face was clean shaven. His dark brown hair appeared to be raggedly trimmed with a dull knife. His face was wide and flat, with a large bulbous nose and eyes slightly shadowed by an overhanging brow. He wore no shoes but carried a rusty knife with the tip broken off. He weighed at least five or six hundred pounds and stood around eight feet tall. They could also smell his rancid odor even from where they stood by the fire.

“An Ogre!” Geoffrey shouted quickly jumping up and reaching for his sword.

Analia and Elise were stunned by the man-like creature, but had no real fear as both Whiff and Cali were watching the thing with cautious eyes. Geoffrey slowly advanced to scare the creature away or kill it if it made any move to attack them.

Suddenly, Analia felt a tingling sensation in her mind, very similar to the one she had felt when making first contact with Whiff. “Help me!” the thing mind-spoke. “Help me, princess?”

Geoffrey made to strike at the man thing. “Hold your blade!” Analia yelled. “He wants to talk that’s all.”

“What do you mean talk?” Geoffrey spat. “I heard no words.”

“Mind-speak,” Analia returned. “I can read his thoughts just as I do Whiff’s. He wants our help.” She slowly walked over to the man-like creature and stopped. Whiff stood and ambled over to stand beside her.

“How can we help you,” she mind-spoke.

“I am lonely and starving all the time,” it replied. “I cannot find food anymore and the animals here are my friends and I cannot harm them. I felt your presence and your heart and know you will help me.”

“What am I to do?” Analia asked. “What little food I have will last you only a short time and then you will be hungry again.”

“I am called DarDar,” he returned, saying the name itself out loud. “I wish to go with you when you leave. I will protect you and work for you and carry things for you and die for you and do anything you ask of me.”

“I’m not certain the people would accept you among them,” Analia stated. “They may be frightened and might run you off or even try to harm you.”

“If I am cleaned up and given serviceable clothes and made presentable they may not. To them I will just be a huge ugly man, which I really am. I am not an ogre as your man friend yelled, I was born in a small village and they cast me out when I grew too big and strong, saying that I was the child of an ogre who lay with my mother. I may be half ogre, but my heart is all human. I beg you, princess, help me or I will surely die in this wilderness. I am gentle and kind and would not hurt anyone unless they tried to harm you.”

Analia motioned for him to join them at the fire. She unpacked the remainder of their rations and handed him a large slice of smoked ham and half a loaf of bread, which was starting to go stale. He smiled, showing huge square teeth and shoveled the food into his cavernous mouth.

Analia explained to Elise and Geoffrey what she and DarDar had spoken of seeking their advice and counsel on what to do.

“He doesn’t appear to be capable of normal speech,” Analia stated, “Except for saying his name. Sense he can communicate through mind-speak, I’m inclined to believe he may be only half human. When we do mind-speak he does so in an intelligent manner so I know he at least understands what is being said and has perception, judgement and reasoning.”

“A good cleanup job and he could pass for a man, a giant man,” Elise stated. She knew what it was like to be alone in the wilderness, half starving, lonely, and frightened. She had spent many years in the deep mountains with no one to help her, living from day to day, hoping the next day would bring an end to her fear and loneliness. Ser Thoragild, Analia’s Uncle, had finally taken her under his care and guidance and put her on her present path.

Geoffrey looked at her with consternation. “I’ve been with you for less than a day and I have been threatened by a knife throwing amazon, almost killed by a band of outlaws, frightened to death by two flying dragons, assaulted by a real dragon, watched as you spoke with animals, and now you want to adopt an Ogre. I’m beginning to think I am the one who needs you to protect me. Are you quite certain that you are not a powerful wizard disguised as a lovely Lady?”

“You haven’t seen anything yet,” Elise smiled.

“So much for a clandestine entry into this realm.” Analia stated. “With DarDar tagging along with us, I do believe we will somewhat stand out.”

Elise held her nose. “So long as he stands out over there,” she pointed to a spot twenty feet away. “The first thing he needs is a serious bath.”

DarDar grunted and scratched his thick head of hair.


 
STATIC
Lady Dragon Riders - Chapter Four  (13+)
The adventures of Analia and Elise continue in a far off land.
#2074246 by Oldwarrior
© Copyright 2016 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2073665-Lady-Dragon-Riders---Chapter-Three