*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2073699-The-Day-They-Came
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · None · #2073699
An excruciatingly normal day turns into so much more.
Everyone expected what was coming that day. The day that they came. Something felt off, sure everything looked normal. The clouds were only clouds and the grass was still gray and yellow, just coming out from the dead of winter. Nothing looked wrong, but there was almost an energy in the air. A sort of buzz that gave one the feeling of mystery and dread. Though none of us could have ever imagined what, it was no surprise.

My day had been the same as all the others before it, absolutely nothing different about it. Exactly the regular suffocating life that I was desperate to get away from. I had been walking home alone, needing an escape. There was nobody in sight for once and at the time I was thankful for that. My earbuds had been stuffed in my ears, music on high to block out the world. I guess thats why I had heard nothing. Sometimes I wonder if I would have had a chance to run if I had never turned up the volume.

That’s when it happened. They were all white. The trucks, complete with white tires. The people, from their helmets to their shoes. They had no guns and yet seemed just as dangerous, if not more. It was such an unnerving sight watching them pass me. The whole scene was unnatural, seeing a color so pure in a place like this. Any and all white we had was contaminated by the filth of our poor. I didn’t know what to think, I still have no idea. Were they the government? A terrorist attack, a prank? When they finally turned to me, I didn’t run or scream, I was frozen in the moment of fear. They were so large compared to my tiny body, with each step they took the feeling of doom in my stomach grew. The moment i felt a slight brush of a hand grabbing me, my reflexes kicked into action and I screeched and writhed. I bit body parts, I screamed for help and twisted out of their grasp. It was no use. I was overtaken and soon lead into a truck and sat down next to others that looked so frightened. I couldn’t reassure them though. What was the point in giving false hope? It was too surreal for that anyway, like none of it could be real. We sat in silence the entire time, no crying, no banging on walls. I guess everyone understood what type of situation we were in. The unescapable kind to be more specific. Looking around, I remember only the eyes of the people riding with me. Eyes of brown and green and blue and grey. The frantic looks of confusion, the more calm understanding eyes that had already accepted the unknown, these are and always will be crystal clear in my mind.

That’s all I remember. Of the outside world at least. Of all the things my brain chose to remember and it is the day I was taken. Since then it has been white, just the color white, day in and day out. I don’t even know if it is day or night, how many days or years have passed. It’s funny how time gets away from you when all you have is four walls to keep you company. I don’t know, maybe I’ll get out, maybe I won’t. I was so keen on finding my freedom in the beginning, it doesn’t really matter too much anymore though. After all, don’t you remember? I did say I wanted out of my old life. I got what I wanted, why should I have to escape? Trading one hell for another, at least I’m comfortable in this one.
© Copyright 2016 Jordan Toth (lulugirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2073699-The-Day-They-Came