*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2076716-Death-In-Blue
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Dark · #2076716
The ocean and sky are painted in a beautiful hue. You are as well.
The morning, in Jack’s opinion, is the best and most beautiful time of day. The setting sun can throw beautiful colors miles across the skyline, but it will never beat the smell of morning dew and fresh sunshine.

“Good morning,” he whispered to the birds singing their greeting. “Always so calm…” The mutter wasn’t even to himself, but an afterthought. Jack was the type of man who could rave and riot for hours, but will gladly slide away to a tranquil area for a calming sensation to his mind.

His desired destination was called Zoya Beach, and even with its reputation of a rather popular college student “party” location, he found himself enchanted with the small waves and back trails of sand and grass. Wearing only shorts from the night before, it offered very little protection from the briars in patches that threatened him. Jack wasn’t bothered in the least, and felt an ache to keep following the sandy path.

Pulling out his phone to see how much time he has left, his green eyes saw the digital numbers of 6:03. He knew that his roommates were heavily hungover, so he has a few hours to kill while the risen sun and breeze is still fresh for a new day.

Excitement pumped his blood and soon his feet sped off down the obviously less traveled by trail. Leaves, bristles, sand and thorns scrapped his body and got in his eyes and toes. Ignoring the blood that dripped down in multiple places, he felt his heart racing as the seemingly enchanted path beckoned him to go further.

His feet screamed in agony as they slammed against the replacement of sand: heated rocks that refuse to cool down. Jack bit his lip as he saw the welcome sight of sand again, and he spread his legs farther apart to get there faster.

Once the relaxation of sand comforted his feet, he bent over at the waist to regain his breath. Even with the cool breeze that felt heavier now, he knew he looked as if he stepped under a waterfall for a short time.

Running his hand through his dark hair, he scowled at the touch of grease and sweat; yet felt relieved to know there was water all around him.

Finally looking up from having been bent over, he realized where his racing feet and entranced mind took him.

The sun was directly above the horizon by an inch in his view, letting orange and blue clash against the sky. His eyes widened and then his body locked into place, not wanting to move from the sight that seems like a painting instead of the actual scene.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?”

Jack squealed in response. Having been shaken out of his trance with the sun and ocean, he spun on his heels to make eye-contact with a little girl.

Smiling at the innocence, he sighed to let go of the tension that formed in his muscles. “Yes, it is. I’m lucky to have found such a view. Do you get to see this every day?” His assumption of her being a native of Zoya Beach caused a small smile to form on her lips.

“Yes, I do. I’m awake before everyone else, so I walk out this way to watch the sunrise.” Her voice was sweet and small, and it reminded Jack of his little sister. She was eight, and this stranger appeared the same age. They both had the same appearance: soft angles in the face, freckles, big blue eyes, pale skin, and dark hair. This girl has her long hair in two braids over her shoulder and wearing a dress that reminded him of the Alice In Wonderland dress that the main character wears.

“You’re not lost, are you? The path ends there.” He points at the rocky edge that led to the ocean, where he noticed the waves were bigger and crashed harder against the rocks than before. Behind her were sand dunes covered in the grass that felt like knives if they were rubbed against you. Beachgrass, he reminded himself.

“How I got here doesn’t matter. I’m here.” Her suddenly cold approach sent a nerve of anger through Jack’s body, and he tilted his head at her.

“Of course,” he muttered, turning back to the ocean. “Well I’d hurry back if I were you. Your parents will worry about you.”

“My parents are dead. They’re all dead.”

The sudden response sent chills up in his blood, feeling like his entire body went cold. He turned back, with a sullen expression on his face and he found himself wanting to give her sympathy. The fact her pale skin had a blue hue made him step back slightly, and felt the warmth leave the water. Cold water splashed his feet and Jack shivered in response.

“I...I’m sorry for your loss. Well I have to hurry back, my friends should be waking up soon. It was nice meeting you.” He gave a smile before turning to leave, and he felt she muttered something under her breath. Wanting to avoid being rude, he casually walked away, and when he knew she couldn’t see him anymore, he took off at a massive speed back to the main road that was in front of the house he was staying at.

He opened the screen door and sighed in relief as it slammed shut. Walking to the kitchen, he felt empty and decided to get something to eat. It was an odd feeling; he wasn’t necessarily hungry but he knew he hasn’t eaten so it would be best to make something.

“Dude! What the hell was that?!”

“I don’t know! Maybe it was Jack!”

The familiar voices of his roommates sent a smile on Jack’s lips. “It was just me, you guys!” He shouted back up, to only receive silence as a response. “Guys?” He cried out again.

He placed the granola bar he grabbed on the counter, and began to walk back up the stairs. A bright light was underneath the door to the room he was staying in, and with a raised eyebrow, he was about to open it when another door swung open.

“HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS WAKE UP!”

Jack jumped and walked over to them, waving his hand. “What’s wrong Garry? Everything alright?” HIs question was then ignored by Garry, and he began to grow impatient. “This isn’t a fucking joke, Garry. Stop ignoring me!”

Garry ran past Jack, and almost shoved him in the shoulder if Jack hadn’t have moved out of the way. “I swear to God, Garry…” Jack balled up his fist and decided to play back at this joke. He swung hard at Garry’s shoulder and felt in shock as he missed entirely. Garry seemed to dodge it by jumping forward into Kelli’s room in a cry of joy.

“I got those tickets to go to Warp Tour!”

“Stop yelling! It’s too damn early!” Kelli’s voice rang out and Jack’s heart skipped a beat. He loved everything about her, but he knew the feeling wasn't mutual.

He started out of the way and in the back of the hallway, his chest trembling. It was either from fear of Garry having gotten them from a sketchy and or illegal source, or the excitement of knowing he has them. Jack couldn't find the right words, or even speak. Their entire group of five could barely scrounge up money to go on vacation, and Garry just revealed that they were able to get the tickets that they've been wanting for months.

“Man, that's awesome! Let's go tell Fred and Chelsea!” Jack shouted, and Garry turned around to look at Jack. The sweaty male smiled, and Garry answered with looking back down at his phone.

“Yeah, where are Fred and Chelsea? C’mon Kelli,” Garry stated, his voice seeming more casual and suave than normal. “We can wait to tell them if you want. I mean, you are already in bed.”

Jack's blood boiled in rage, and he was about to tackle his blonde haired friend. Or, so-called friend in this case. Deciding to avoid confrontation, he ran down the stairs and out the door.

“Jeez Garry, I told you last night about how I actually feel. Now leave me alone and get out!” She cried out and pulled the blankets over her head, indicating she wanted to go back to bed. Garry agreed and left the room, mumbling under his breath.

“What's so great about Jack anyway?”

Seeing two shaded figures out on the dock, Jack decided to be the one to tell Fred and Chelsea that Garry received the tickets. Running along the dock, he felt his excitement rise back up. He’ll personally deal with Garry this afternoon, when everyone is up to witness it.

“Fred! Chelsea! Garry’s dumbass somehow got those tickets to Warp Tour! Isn't that exciting??!”

As the two friends became closer in view, he realized they weren’t paying attention to him. It was like they were frozen in place as they sat on the wooden bench, faces turned towards the creek and their breathing barely noticeable. Chelsea’s brown hair was up in a messy bun and Fred was wearing his signature red beanie, covering up the recently shaved head.

“Guys? Did you hear me?” Jack walked closer, now noticing their frozen expressions of fear. His eyes followed their line of sight and he then became shocked as well. There, in the marsh and creek before him, lay his body.

The blue hue that gleamed his face and the water that soaked his body sent realization to his brain. I never ran away.

“Holy fuck, Chelsea…” Fred finally whispered. “We’re down another one. What can we do?”

“Huddle together in a barn. That way death can take us all at once.” Her icy stance made Jack fall to his knees, and in that moment he knew that there was no going back. He was dead, and he was alone.
© Copyright 2016 Arktic-Rage (vivianporch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2076716-Death-In-Blue