*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2076843-Lesson-6-Exercise-and-Assignment
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Assignment · Activity · #2076843
Reeling in Your Readers Lesson 6
Lesson 6: Exercise

1. call - announce / address / challenge
2. Damn - accuse / castigate / condemn /
3. Exist - survive / endure / maintain
4. Feel - experience / despondent / tingle/ explore
5. Have - swindle / beget / possess
6. Walk - bobble / perambulate / saunter
7. Move - advance / impel / instigate / persuade
8. Play - cavort / impersonate / panto mine
9. Weaken - dilute / enfeeble / incapacitate
10. Trick - deceive / stratagem / subterfuge
11. Put - flung / appropriate / shelve
12. leave - exited / abandon / withdraw
13. Tell - tattle / harangue / shout
14. Show - evidence / register / flaunt
15. afraid - agitation / terror/ threatened
16. Drink - guzzle / gulp / slurp
17. Make - sew/ paint/ plant
18. Went - drove / advance / progress
19. Run - bolt / stampede / flew / vamoose
20. Kill - asphyxiate / crucify / exterminate
20. Grow - blossom / evolve / skyrocket
21. Stay - arrest / detain / suspend
22. Taste - perceive / nibble / distinguish
23. Speak - blab / rant / proclaim
24. Sleep - sprawl / drowse . Hibernate
25. Part - relinquish / separate / release


Lesson 6 - Assignment

Bea jerked awake. Feelings of helpless terror washed over her. Sliding out of bed she pulled sweats on over her p.j.s. She padded cautiously across the room and flipped the wall switch. No light emerged from the fixtures. Flinging open the bedroom door she collided with Neil . “What’s making you prowl the hall Neil?”

“All the electricity is off.”

“Everywhere?” Bea waved a flashlight at him. “There’s another torch in the kitchen drawer.”

Neil fished another flashlight out while Bea held her light on the drawer.

“I have to climb up into the attic to start the generator.” Neil threw her an inquiring look. “Thought it would be in the basement?”

“No, It’s electric. Solar panels on the roof supply the charge.

In the attic Neil watched as she flipped a switch on a large black machine, A light blinked on above them.

“Well whada you know.” He rubbed his hand on his cheek.

Roaring wind lashed snow against the sheet glass of the living room window.. Snow like strings of white beads blown horizontal flew past collecting in drifts wherever it landed. “Hey, there’s someone stumbling around out there.”

Neil gaped at the raging white storm. “Where? I don’t see anything but snow drifts.”

“Turn on the floods I’m going out.”

“Neil followed her to the mud room. “Maybe it was a deer r dog r somthin.” His hesitant tone revealed a reluctance to go out into the storm.

”Stay inside Neil You can watch out the window, O.K.?”

“Yeah, O.K.” He turned back toward the warm living room.

On the way out the wind whipped the door from her hands. she leaned on it with her back until she heard the latch click. Wind and snow blew the ends of her scarf across her face. “WOW.” Flashing her light back and forth she started down the drive. “ Something, no someone is floundering in the wind and snow.”

“Hey, over here.” The wind roared louder emptying the sound of Bea's words into the dark. Drifting snow hurled into the air by wind obliterated the wallowing person from her sight.

Floodlights illuminated the scene. The stumbling person turned toward the light took one step and lurched headlong into the snow.

Sand like drifts dragged at Bea's body as she plowed a path through snow. She reached the white covered person who was now struggling to stand up.

The woman heaved her body against Bea. “I’m so cold.”

With her arm around the woman the two supported each other toward the house, fighting the wind and drifts.

Both women panted with the effort to speak. “Don’t talk yet.”

Neil pushed the door open as they approached gripping it tightly against the gale.

He hesitated to help Eva remove her coat. “I’ll get a blanket.” Eva leaned on the wall shaking and crying.

Help her into a chair Neil, I’ll get hot chocolate.”

Setting wrapped in a blanket, in a deep plush chair, holding a cup of hot chocolate Eva was calmer.

“What were you doing out in this storm?” Bea blew on her hot drink and cautiously sipped.

“It’s all such a mess. I got a phone call. The van driver blurted out the rig was jackknifed on its side, blocking Star lane. Next, the phone went dead. I jumped in my car and tried to get to him because He had Goody in his van. My car bucked through roads full of snow I couldn’t even see to drive. The drifts were to heavy so, I started walking. The door on the truck was open but the I couldn’t find the driver. The ramp is broken off and the mare is gone.” She put her hands up to her face and sobbed hysterically. “I thought I would freeze.”

“Neil call the state police let them check that van. There is a number by the phone. Eva, Goody Brown Girl is safe. I wouldn’t let him take her.”

“She’s here? Oh Thank God I thought she was out in the storm.”

Neil returned to the room. “The staties said they will send someone out on a snowmobile. They weren’t happy about it but since the driver is missing they will check it.”




© Copyright 2016 Apondia (judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2076843-Lesson-6-Exercise-and-Assignment