*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2076865-The-Cry-of-the-Wolves
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2076865
Violet loses everything. But, she moves away and discovers who she is. and what she is....







Preface

I had never thought about dying before. I had never contemplated my death or wondered about how I was going to die. I knew that one day my life would be over and I would fall into the abyss. I never thought it would end like this, though. Not with fear in my heart.
But despite everything, I wouldn't change a thing. I wouldn't change one event leading up to this. There is too much that would never have happened if I skipped out on all those little opportunities and decisions.
And now here I am, my death just seconds away. The monstrosity sniffed the air and growled as it caught my scent, slinking towards me.










Chapter one
Change

I stared out of the window of my bedroom and sighed heavily. Everything was different now. Dad was gone. Mum was gone. I had no other relatives who could take me in. There was only one option- a home for orphaned kids. And the nearest one was in the middle of nowhere. I had searched it on Google maps before my laptop had been packed away. It hadn't even shown up on there. All of my stuff was in boxes on my bare bed. I knew I couldn't have it all. I knew that some of it would be put into storage. I knew that I would have to share a room with someone. I knew that my life would never be the same again. It wasnât until all of the boxes were taken out of my room that the realisation hit me like a truck.
The realisation that this was the end of my life.
I grabbed my duffel bag and slung it onto my shoulder, fighting back tears. Since Mum died two years ago, things had been completely different. Before, I had been like a normal teenager; happy, going out with friends and going on the occasional date. When Mum died, people had treated me like I was made of glass, like I would shatter at the slightest touch. Around them, I felt like a house of cards. Things were awkward. People chose their words carefully around me. Saturday night used to be girls' night. At first, there were invitations to the movies and to clubs. But, I wasn't the same as I had been before. I had felt uncomfortable around the same people who had once known me so well. They were strangers to me. And I to them.
Pretty soon the invitations stopped coming.
My social worker, Karen Giles was waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs. She was there to sort my life out.
Oh, and to make sure I didn't commit suicide.
Yeah, apparently that was always a concern.
"Are you ready, Vi?" she asked, using my nickname to try and make me feel comfortable around her.
It didn't work. It was just plain awkward. Karen offered to take my bag from me and, after being turned down, opened the doors for me. I knew what she was doing. Pretend to be my friend, make me feel at home with her. She would be my friend while she dug around in everything I said, trying to find some hint of mental incapability. Karen drove a black Volvo with tinted windows. At least there was that. No one from school would see me in the car with a social worker and my entire life in boxes behind me. I was grateful for that.
"There is food in the back if you want to eat anything. It will be a six hour drive to Ningrumtown."
I nodded and started to get into the passenger side of the car.
"You might be more comfortable in the back of the car." She suggested, looking at something behind me.
I turned around and saw a police officer watching me with a smirk. Of course there would be a police officer. He would make sure I didn't run off. Flushing red, I stepped back and watched as the officer climbed in whilst I held the door. When I closed it, I made sure to slam it.

We passed through town slowly, like syrup running off of a spoon. We passed by Lara's house. She had once been my closest friend. But she had disappeared fast when my Mum died. We passed the school and I watched as all of my friends trickled out of their classrooms. I saw Nate with Lindsey and knew that they had finally done what Lara, Logan and I had tried to get them to do.
They were dating.
I smiled softly and sat back in the seat.
"Are you ready, Vi?" Karen asked when we reached the road that would take me out of my home-town forever.
I thought of my friends and how I wasn't needed. I thought of my big lonely house.
"Vi?"
I looked at her and saw that there was concern in her eyes.
I nodded.
"Yeah, I'm ready."



Chapter Two
Home

I had never felt so afraid in all my life than I had when we arrived at the home for orphaned children. I could have sworn the police officer and Karen could hear my heart thumping in my chest like the wings of an eagle. I could feel my pulse beating like a drum on my wrist.
"Welcome to David's home for teens, Violet!" Karen squealed with too much enthusiasm.
To be honest, I was just glad that she had used my full name. My old nickname sounded strange coming from the mouth of an adult.
"Great." I said.
I hadn't meant for it to sound sarcastic. It had just come out that way. Luckily, Karen didn't notice and just kept beaming at me with her pearly whites. I suddenly realised just how cliché she looked. Karen had large, bleached blond hair that reached her shoulders and was held with too much hairspray. Her eyes were blue with lines etched into her face. Her lips were painted a bright pink that had been topped up several times on the drive. Her entire outfit matched her lipstick. Bright pink skirt, pale pink vest top and a bright pink jacket to match. Not to mention the cheap pearls that was placed around her neck.
"Let's go in and meet David. Trust me, Vi, he's very nice." She reassured me.
'I'm sure he is.' I thought.
To be honest, he could have been the nicest person I would ever meet and I would still be in a crabby mood. With my heart beating fast, I climbed out of the car with duffle bag in hand and walked on shaky legs to the house. The removal van had been and gone. The evidence: all of my boxes were outside of the door. An older man, probably mid-forties, was about to carry my heaviest box. I rushed forwards and took it from him before he dropped it.
"I got it!" I exclaimed, staggering backwards slightly.
The man laughed.
"I'm not as young as I used to be." He chuckled.
I chuckled nervously along with him. He had greying stubble across the lower half of his face and laugh lines in the corner of his eyes. His eyes were much like his hair; dark with hints of silver.
"You must be Violet Pleasant." He said, grabbing a lighter box.
I smiled lightly and nodded.
"And you must be David." I countered his last sentence.
"Yes, I am. Welcome to your home until you are eighteen. Or, if you really wanted, you could put yourself up for adoption or fostering. But that is your decision. Some kids don't like being sent to live with strangers." He explained to me.
I nodded.
We fell silent going up the stairs. He led the way so that I knew where I was going.
"We have the girls' rooms on the left and the boys' rooms on the right. But you won't have to worry about getting lost because your room is practically smack-bang in the middle of the two."
I saw the signs with the familiar icons of male and female on them. And there was my room. Although it wasnât exactly in the middle. It was closer to the boys' side. Okay, a lot closer. The door was open and we walked in. I dropped the box onto the desk and sagged against it. My eyes were heavy and my muscles felt stiff and unused. David put his hand on my shoulder.
"Go downstairs into the kitchen and talk to my wife, Mary. I'll get one of the guys to help me get everything up here. You look like you are going to pass out from hunger alone." He told me in a stern but kindly voice.
I smiled, feeling guilty for rigging in my house mates to drag my stuff in before I'd even met them. But, I nodded anyway and wandered downstairs. Mary was exactly where David had said she was.
And she was different to how I had pictured her. I had imagined a small plump woman in a flowery dress with mousy brown hair and heavy lines on her face. I couldn't have been more wrong. I suspected that she had been a hippie at some point in her life. Her flaming red hair was braided messily down her back. She wore a pair of faded, ripped jeans and a yellow vest top. Her face only held laugh lines. Her eyes were bright and alive. She was quite tall, probably six foot three and her body was lean and muscular. She saw me lingering in the doorway and smiled warmly.
"Hello, Violet." She welcomed me, dropping a spoon onto the counter and wrapping me in a hug.
I was surprised at first but knew that she was only trying to be friendly. So I returned the hug.
"Uh... hi, Mary." I said, slightly uncomfortable.
She held me at armâs length and studied me.
"You need food..... and rest." She decided.
I stared at her in astonishment.
"How did you know that?" I asked in disbelief.
She laughed and it was like the sound of angels singing.
"It's part of my job to know what teens want. Well, what anyone wants."
She saw my confused look and carried on.
"Ever since I was little I just knew what a person needed or wanted. It was a very well-developed skill. It made the cheaters in school a lot easier to spot."
She winked at me and I felt a helpless smile spread across my face. Mary opened the oven door and took out the biggest pizza I had ever seen. I saw several different types of cheese and chicken and green peppers. I felt my mouth watering as the delicious aroma filled my nostrils. I watched as she plated up five slices and placed it in front of me.
"Eat up. I doubt Karen gave you much to eat in the car."
I thought of a box of granola bars that had looked and smelled unappealing. I shook my head.
"Holy God in heaven, I don't think pizza has ever smelled so good!" I exclaimed picking up a large slice.
Mary grinned. I took a bite of the doughy pizza and felt an explosion of taste in my mouth erupt. I had never tasted anything so good in all my life. I moaned in pleasure and smiled at Mary.
"This is incredible!" I exclaimed, taking another huge bite.
Mary grinned even wider and turned back to what she was doing without a word. I managed to go through four slices of the pizza before I was too full to even move. Rubbing my eyes, Mary took me by the shoulders and showed me to a sofa.
"Go to sleep there until I have your room ready." She told me.
Sitting up, I told her: "I have to do it. It isn't fair!"
She laughed once again before pushing me back onto the sofa.
"Sleep, Missy. You aren't going anywhere until I know you are rested."
I gave in. Meaning, I just closed my eyes and let sleep claim me.

While I slept, I dreamt of the night Dad had died. We were going to visit Mum's grave, I held a bunch of blood red tulips in my hands. I don't know what happened next. We were perfectly fine while on the road. Things shifted in and out of focus for a second, not letting me see what happened. The only thing I remember of the crash was veering away and rolling. It was like being in the cage at the fairground. Nothing was still. Everything turned. Glass shattered and I was pretty sure I heard burning.
Or I smelled it. The dream was mixed up and confusing. All of my senses were jumbled up as if they had been in a bingo caller.
I remember calling out for my dad, hoping he would talk me into being calm. But I never heard his voice again. I must have hit my head at some point because I blacked out. Terror had been infused into my heart and I had no idea what was happening. My heart had been beating out of my chest that night. I thought I was going to die.
But I didn't.
I woke up outside of the car. My ears were ringing intensely and my head was thrumming. I wasn't injured besides the odd cut or bruise. I must have been thrown out of the car. But I had had my seatbelt on. Nothing made sense and the panic that set into my bones was impairing my judgement.
I remember looking up and passing out again.









Chapter Three
The House

I woke up to the face of a curious thirteen year old. He jumped back as soon as I opened my eyes, giving a slight cry of surprise.
âJohnny! I told you not to watch her while she slept!â Mary scorned the boy, annoyed.
He muttered an apology before moving away. I rubbed my eyes and sat up, a blanket falling off of my shoulders.
"How long was I asleep for?" I asked, stretching my arms high above my head.
Mary came by me with a croissant on a plate.
Breakfast.
I stared at it and exclaimed: "I was out all night!"
Mary smiled softly.
"Yeah, I'm afraid you were. David has arranged for you to go to school in four days so that you have time to..... acclimatise."
I sighed. School. How could I forget that little sweetheart of an idea? I grimaced.
"Which school?" I asked, folding the blanket up and placing it on my lap.
"You are going to Raven High. That's where most of our students go."
I nodded and sank back on the sofa. My mind was well-rested if not calm for the first time since Dad had died. I looked around the room and saw everyone rushing around like there was no tomorrow. Mary was barking orders at the girls like a drill sergeant. David was hurrying four boys out of the door. I stood up and wandered up to my room, dodging the housemates. As I had suspected, they were all watching me with interest. It was weird.
But not surprising. I had expected to be the new freak show. Since my last visit to my room, it had changed drastically. The once empty bookshelves were now lined with my dog-eared paperbacks and my tattered hardbacks. My black spiralled bedding was now laid out, ready for me to sleep in. My clothes were packed away neatly in the drawers. I don't think I could have put as much effort into packing everything away as hard Mary had. I was shocked to discover that nothing of mine had been put into storage. It had all fit nicely in my room. I noticed a note on the side of my desk.
'You don't have to put anything into storage. So we ignored the boxes that said 'storage'.
Mary and David.
I grinned. They were incredible; just the two of them looking after forty teenagers. Picking a book off of one of my shelves, I decided to pass the time by reading. I had chosen a book I could never have read before- 'A Tale of Two Cities'. I had never been able to focus on Charles Dickens's work before Dad died. I now welcomed the distraction it gave me. It wasn't long, though, before I grew bored and restless. My mind kept wandering and I found that I had hardly read the book. Deciding to try and do something productive, I changed out of yesterday's clothes and put on a pair of faded jeans, a MARVEL t-shirt and my hoodie. I had noticed a sign saying Forest Path when I had driven through town. It seemed like a good place to clear my head. I pulled on a pair of trainers and walked downstairs, telling David where I was going as I passed him on the stairs. It seemed alright with him so I left. Before I knew it, I found myself outside of the forest. My mind had wandered farther than I had thought. I kept replaying the scene of the car crash. Thinking about it helped me to get over it. Most people ignored the demons that haunted them. I had always been fond of the saying:
'If you can't fight them, join them.'
My demons were a part of me. I used to fight them. Now we are on the same side. I often wondered about how I had gotten out of the car. I had no memories of adrenaline-fuelled actions, urging me to survive. And Dad would never have moved the car without my seatbelt on. He was a big believer in safety first, time later. I had entertained the possibility of a stranger pulling me out of the car. But why hadn't they stuck around to make sure I was safe? Why hadn't they taken Dad out? I had dismissed the idea almost immediately. Regular people weren't knights in shining armour. Most people run from a scene like the one I had been caught in. Only rare and special people can stand up to that sort of challenge.
Even then they demanded reward. It wasn't hard to pick out the cheats out of the cowards. You just needed to have experience with both. Sunlight barely squeezed through the leafy barricade above. Twigs and leaves crunched underfoot. The day was warm but the air was chilly. A perfect day. I breathed in the cool clear air. It filled me with energy and a feeling of being free. For some reason, I had never felt free. My anger had always been contained. I had never had strong outbursts or incredible amount of emotions towards a person. From as early on as I can remember, Mum had taught me to be poised and to hold onto everything until my martial arts classes with Dad. And then hell was unleashed.

Okay. So my childhood wasn't like most people. It was weird. I get that. But that didn't make my parents any less loving. If anything, it made them more loving. They made sure I was a calm and steady person. I wandered along the forest path, barely taking notice of where I was going. That was something I would have to think about when I had to go back. The peace of the forest was addictive. I could picture myself walking through this place every day for the rest of my life. I stopped and watched as the most beautiful creature I had ever seen raced past me. A silvery wolf with the palest blue eyes stared at me for a fraction of a second before disappearing over a ridge. In that fraction of a second, my heart had pounded in my ears and my pulse and jumped like a rabbit. But it wasn't from fear.
It was from disbelief.













Chapter Four
School

My first day at school had come around quicker than I had wanted it to. I was nervous and scared and calm at the same time.
Nervous because I was the new girl in the last year of school.
Scared because I would have to make new friends.
Calm because everything was slowly morphing into a comfortable routine. I charged down the stairs, hoping to get a piece of toast before everyone else. My face fell in dismay at the empty place where toast usually was. Mary laughed at my face.
"Sorry, Violet. You'll beat them here eventually." She chuckled, placing a plate with a single waffle in front of me.
"I swear they get earlier every morning!" I grumbled, picked it apart with my fingers.
Mary barked out a laugh and turned away. During the four days I had been available, I had tried to make friends with the children in my home. So far, I only knew Rosa and her twin, Melody. They had been the only friendly faces to greet me so far. Unfortunately, they weren't going to the same school I was. So they couldn't introduce me to anyone. In fact, their school was rivalled to the one I went to. Raven High against Bolton Prep. Ugh! I hated school rivalries. They all involved stupid rhymes and perky cheerleaders in teeny tiny outfits. I mean, please! Who were they made for? Barbie? Both Mary and David had offered me rides to school. But I had declined them both. Being the new girl was bad enough. I didn't want my 'carers' driving me around like a mental patient. I didn't need that. So I walked. As the town was pretty small, everything was easy to find. Especially the school. It was the town's biggest, boldest and newest building.
© Copyright 2016 CJFowler (cjfowler at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2076865-The-Cry-of-the-Wolves