*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2078199-The-Gorilla-in-the-Room
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #2078199
To judge others lacks judgement. A little concession is in order.
The Gorilla in the Room


“Just pretend not to notice,” Jay whispered to Raven. There were eight of them waiting in the hanger, anxious to receive their dispatches. At least seven of them were a little confused.

“How can you not notice?” Raven replied under her breath, then made the mistake of looking back and receiving a discourteous snort. “I mean, are they kidding? There must have been some sort of mistake at Corporate. How can they expect this guy to do the job? After all, we’re air mail. And he’s…not.”

Against his better judgement, Robin decided to join the conversation, too chicken to even look their greenhorn in the eye. Leaning in, he whispered, “A little bird told me that there were changes coming. You know, rattle the nest a bit? The higher ups are trying to introduce more diversity in the work place.”

“Diversity I totally get,” Jay responded, “but this seems a little extreme…and a little forced. Seriously, talk about the wrong guy in the wrong job. I just don’t see how this is gonna work.”

Robin responded, perhaps a little more loudly than he should have, “Well, you know what they say: When you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.” They all snickered but the huff from the back was enough to ruffle their feathers.

None said another word, for they all had their silent misgivings but knew they’d crossed the line. So, they waited silently, no one wanting to additionally acknowledge the eight hundred pound gorilla in the room. Sheepishly, Raven managed to ask, “What’s taking him so long?” No one had an answer.

Finally, after a long period of awkward restlessness, their boss arrived, dragging a large cart topped by a package loosely wrapped in a tarp. “Excellent,” Mr. Crane noted. “You’re all here. I trust you’ve welcomed our latest addition, Mr. Simian?” He referred to the newest, and largest, of their crew.

“They’ve been more than kind,” the ape lied with a deep throaty voice, which made the rest of them feel that much more shameful.

“Excellent!” Mr. Crane replied. “I would…”

“Mr. Crane, if I may,” Jay interrupted. “I must say that we’re all a bit confused…and, I regret, perhaps a bit too critical. For that I’m…we’re sorry,” and they all agreed. “Still, we’re wondering how our new rookie here will be able to fulfill his duties. I truly have nothing against him personally, for he seems nice enough…”

“And patient,” Simian added.

Jay fidgeted with regret, “Definitely. But, for an air service, he seems, uh…ill equipped.”

“Well, I appreciate your candor Mr. Blue, but to be frank, your tiny wings and skinny legs are not up for certain tasks.” The ape behind them chortled approvingly. “Our Heavy Freight division needs some muscle!”

“But sir,” Raven noted the obvious, “he has no wings.”

“No problem!” Mr. Crane replied and pulled the tarp from his mystery package to reveal an impressive machine of tanks and tubes. “We have jet-packs!”


490 words
© Copyright 2016 Chris24 (cnancedc at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2078199-The-Gorilla-in-the-Room