*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2078638-Homesick
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2078638
Homesick elf must steal a book of spells from a witch to get back home. Flash Fiction 504
Surrounded by dim lights, seated in the back corner of the old tavern, the wizard and elf made the deal.

"So it’s settled then," said the wizard. "You steal the book and give it to me."

"And then you find the spell in the book and send me through the veil back home." Replied the elf.

"Everyone's happy, except for the witch of course. She'll want to put a curse on you."

"If she finds out it was me, which she won't. I'll make sure the alarms and cameras are out of order. I just need your help to find the book."

"Agreed, good hunting."

After cutting power to all electronics and slipping through magical barriers the elf found his way in the old house through a window. An elf is an excellent thief, he makes no sound and can see in near total darkness but he had to find the book fast and get out, witches are crafty and hated unwanted guests.

He lightly landed on the floor and surveyed the area. It was the green room. Potted plants were everywhere in all different sizes. Halfway to the door, he felt a tug on his right leg. Looking down he saw a vine wrapping itself around his ankle as others scuttled his way.

The elf quickly pulled out a pouch and started flinging a white powder over the plant then everywhere he could. The plants immediately dried and fell to the floor as ashes.

He reached for the stone that the wizard gave him from his pocket. The stone was attuned to certain magics that were written down on parchment or books. He muttered something in an unknown language and the stone pulled and led him to the kitchen.

It looked like an ordinary kitchen with pots, pans and a stove. There was a stack of cookbooks on the counter and the stone located the spell book underneath the Betty Crocker Classics. I'm finally going home he thought, no more putting up with these crazy humans. He snatched his prize and turned but was abruptly halted by the sight of a creature.

It was roughly the size of a pig and looked like a cross between a spider and a praying mantis. It was a ganger, a dangerous and lethal bug rare even on his side of the veil. The elf produced a little black ball and threw it at the bug as it spread its wings to pounce. When the ball and bug connected a flash of darkness erupted and before you could blink the bug imploded upon itself until there was nothing.

After a time watching the wizard combing the book the elf asked "Well?"

"Very informative and you're still alive which is amazing. Did the witch find you?"

"No, after fighting the creature I left quickly. So now you have the book, send me home."

"Yes quite right, I found the spell but I need one key ingredient that I can't find... do you know what a ganger bug is?

© Copyright 2016 Dave2write (dave2write at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2078638-Homesick