*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2079453-Magic-Bulbs
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2079453
Lucy plants bulbs that produce a surprise.
         Swinging her new red pail and shovel, Lucy asked, "Oooh, can we go to the beach?" Mawmaw chided, "Not just yet, silly goose. The ice is only starting to melt on the lake." Noticing Lucy's frown, Pawpaw added, "I know what you can do with that fine spade, Lucy light-of-my life. You can plant something in my garden. There's a bag of bulbs on the shed floor you can have." "Really, Pawpaw? Umm, Pawpaw, why do you call me that?" Chuckling, he replied, "Because you make my life a brighter place." Racing to shove her feet into her galoshes, Lucy heard Mawmaw complain. "Henry, she's going to get filthy." In his deep voice, Pawpaw answered. "Nonsense, woman! A little dirt under the nails won't hurt her."
          Outside in the back yard, Lucy hummed as she dug several holes in the cool, dark earth. In each hole, she carefully placed a bulb; fat side down. In her mind, she could hear Pawpaw reminding her that the bulbs needed to sit up straight. She scooped damp dirt over the bulbs, and patted it down with both hands. Pawpaw was right, the dirt didn't hurt at all, not one little bit.
         Standing and swiping her hands on her jeans, Lucy saw her grandfather approaching. "Are they all tucked snuggly into my flowerbed, then?" Nodding, Lucy let him lead her back into the house. Mawmaw wasted no time whisking Lucy into the bathroom and standing over her while she scrubbed the 'filth' from her hands.
         For weeks and weeks, too many weeks, Lucy would phone her Pawpaw and ask about the garden. "When are they going to grow?" He always reminded her to be patient. "Magic needs time to work."
         Lucy saw the ice finally melt from the lake, and the honking geese return. The trees sprouted glorious green leaves. The sun warmed her as she played outside without a jacket. Lucy was told that it was springtime. This meant that it was time for Pawpaw's birthday, and a party with cake.
          Arriving at her grandparent's house, Lucy noticed that the birthday 'boy' was fidgeting. "There you are, Lucy light-of-my life. Come on, I've got something to show you." Grabbing one of her hands, Pawpaw dragged her through his house and out to the garden. Mawmaw shuffled along behind them. Lucy knew it was night time because the street lights had flashed on as she drove here. Usually the back yard was dark, but the first thing her eyes saw was a glow. Gasping, Lucy could only stare.
         Millions of white and gold fairy lights twinkled and sparkled against the black soil of the gleaming garden. Just above them, floating in the breeze, purple sparks flashed and flickered. Blue beams blinked and winked from dancing dots. Gashes of green glistened. "Wow!", Lucy whispered.
          "Lucy love, what did those bulbs look like?" Wrinkling her fore head, Lucy shrugged her shoulders and said, "They were white and kinda big." Grinning, Pawpaw nodded. "Did they clink and tinkle when you picked the bag up?" Lucy also nodded her head. Hugging her ,Pawpaw declared, "This is the best birthday present ever you clever girl. You planted light bulbs; magic light bulbs." (533 words)
© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2079453-Magic-Bulbs