*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2080680-Forgotten-in-the-Dust-Part-1
by Arctic
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2080680
The story of an amnesiac warrior with a tragic tale fighting for his past (Chapters 1-3)
Chapter 1

He lay, face down, sprawled over the evening grass. Coming to consciousness, he heard rustling and tasted blood. His vision was blocked by something. Using all his strength, he barely pushed himself up. He put one hand to his eyes and rubbed out the blockage. He could see again. He looked down at his hand. A splatter of sticky blood on his fingers. He felt unbearable pain, yet he couldn't place where on his body. It seemed to be everywhere. He looked up and saw a gleaming pool of water nearby. Through his agony, he dragged his limp self towards it. He reached it, and stuck his hands in. Gathering the water, he splashed the cool substance on his face. Feeling a little refreshed, he gazed down into the lake. He saw a young man -15 or 16 in age- with chiseled, strong features. His jaw and nose were shaped and his hair was brown and short. His eyes, however were the best of all. they were a dazzling emerald green. He noticed a hood shadowed his face, even in the lowering sunset. He thought it was strange.
He didn't recognize that face.
" Who... am I?" he asked himself. His memories were blurry. He could not piece together his identity." and where.. am..."
He slowly looked around, studying the new landscape. A lush forest surrounded him. His mind worked quickly as he thought for the best course of action. Finding help.
Suddenly, he heard twigs snap and leaves rustle. He quickly turned (too quick for his condition) only to realize the wind had made the noise. He sighed out in relief, making his lungs ache. He stumbled to his feet, almost immediately falling down again. He caught himself and straightened. He noticed something in the distance. A thin wisp of smoke was rising from the treetops. Maybe there were people.
A bird tweeted in the distance as he stumbled over the overgrown roots and rocks. After a while he started to feel dizzy. He shook himself clear of the weak feeling, resulting in a dull pain in his head. He forced himself to keep trudging, towards help and hospitality. But the path to that help became blurred. His eyes throbbed and his breathing quickened, struggling to live. The trees seemed to duplicate, in and out, and stretched further away, mocking him, taunting him. The pain was too much, and he hadn't seen the upturned root in his way. He inevitably tripped over it, causing his to almost fly down a large slope. With a loud thud, he crashed into a tree. Unconscious again. The wind howled once, and suddenly silenced.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Melody found it quite relaxing to walk through the woods at sun down. It helped her get rid of stress, take her mind off of things and was a nice way to past time. The birds sang, the red, yellow, brown leaves swayed in the gentle breeze and floated to the soft grass, signifying the season of autumn. She took in a deep breath of evening air and let it out. Nothing beat a tranquil stroll through a forest. As of now, the school was closed for a holiday and everyone was taking a break. Just as well. Things got a little heated as the few good teachers at the school left for some reason. It wasn't as easy with teachers with hardly a clue about what to do. Luckily, she was fine. She was a whole package. She was smart, popular, athletic, everything you could want. Not only that, she was very attractive for her age and...
Suddenly, a sound broke her out of her thoughts. It wasn't the normal bird sound. It sounded like... like...
Like a cry of pain
She speeded up her stroll to a run as she searched for the source of the noise.
She entered the edge of the forest and found a black bundle of cloth on the ground at the foot of the slope. Wait a minute, that was a person! With an arrow in their leg! She hurried over to them. She turned the person onto their back and saw it was a boy with marks all over his face. He lowered her head onto his chest. A steady beat sounded in her ear. She quickly checked over the stranger. She pulled of the sleeves of his under top and found his arms covered in cuts and scrapes. Without thinking, she hoisted the man onto her back. He was surprisingly light. He needed help and she knew where to take him

Chapter >2<

Deep within the luscious green of forest, stood a lone log cabin. Not too far from civilization but far enough to make it seem like an exotic holiday. It was owned by Melody's parents. They used it as a quick get a way when the holidays came around. When they did, the family would spend a night or two in the remote cabin. It was a single floored cabin made out of dark brown logs and clear glass for windows dotted on the walls. One light wood door and a lone chimney on top blowing out a thin wisp of smoke. This place would usually be used for some R and R. But not today. Today had an emergency.
Melody threw open the door and ran into the lounge. She put down the man on the sofa and propped up his head with
some cushion. " Okay Melody. You got this." She reassured herself "Now, where is the first aid kit?" She went to a cupboard and plucked a green box from the middle shelf. She opened it and found a ton of bandages. Perfect.
She got to work. She cleaned the wounds on his limbs and face and bandaged the bigger ones. As she worked, she noticed something else. His grey top under his cloak (Which she took off and hanged it on a hook) had a big,red, messy streak running across it. She pulled up the top and found an amazing 6-pack with a deep gash on the chest. She became mesmerized by his body. She snapped back to reality. "What happened to you?" she questioned, not expecting an answer. It didn't look like it would need stitches. If she was to be a doctor in the future, this would be her first test. Also, the wounds were nothing serious.
But now was the hard part. That arrow.
She grabbed hold of the shaft and slowly tugged the arrow out of his calf. It came out with a wet squelch. She found out that the arrow had no head, and it wasn't in his leg. So it somehow buried itself into the thick skin.
Melody wiped her head with a towel. She had done it. This guy will feel better once he woke up. If he woke up...
She stood up and lit the fire, unleashing a small blaze and left for the kitchen, to make some food.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He awoke. Feeling much better than he had back at the lake. "Speaking of which, where am I now?" He asked. He was lying on a comfortable sofa in front of a fireplace. He jumped back at the flame, but settled realizing it was contained. He took in his new surroundings. A warm lounge in a log cabin. Who took him here?
" Oh, you're awake!"
He turned to see a girl , his age, standing the door way. She was wearing a purple sweater and jeans. She was holding two green plates that were producing steam. " I was beginning to think you would never wake up again. What with all those wounds and cuts on you." He looked down at his arms and found white wrappings and no traces of blood anywhere. He felt a lot better.
" D- did you do this?" he was taken aback by her beauty.
" Well.. Yeah. I saw you out there and I just had to help. I couldn't leave you there." She set down the bowls and rested on an armchair. The stranger sat up as well." Who are you, anyway?" She leaned forward.
" Well first of all, Thanks for helping me, I appreciate it. Second I'm uh.. I'm..ah..." He clutched his head in frustration. " I don't know... I have forgotten everything."
Melody rested back in the chair and sighed " Amnesia huh? Do you not remember anything?" Her voice was filled with concern
" Not really. I remember what things are and how to do things, just nothing of my identity."
"Huh. I wonder what you were doing out there or how you got so injured. That arrow in your leg had no head. What kind of bow could do something like that?" Melody crossed her arms in thought. " What happened to you?"
"Wish I knew. By the way, who are you?''
"Oh, well My name's Melody. Melody-"
The conversation was cut off by a rumbling sound.
"What was that?!" The man stood up, frantically twisting his head around the room.
Melody giggled a little at his actions. " Its just your stomach. You're hungry!" she giggled again.
He breathed and sat down, breaking into a sheepish grin.
"Oh"
" Eat up!" She put one of the plates in front of him. On it was a slice of meat and veggie pizza. He had never seen anything like it. He picked it up with both hands and examined it, top and bottom.
"Something wrong?" Melody asked, eating her own pizza
" What is this strange, triangular, vegetable-topped thing?"
"Its called pizza! Try it!"
He hesitantly bit on the end and chewed. He swallowed and froze.
" This is the greatest thing I have tasted!" he yelled. In a matter off moments, the pizza was gone.
"Glad you like it." Melody mumbled.
After a while, they finished eating. Melody put the bowls back into the sink and came back. This time, she sat next to her new friend, on the sofa. He shuffled over to the left. In his movement, something fell out of his pocket. Something small and shiny and made a clinging sound on the polished floor. The room was silent, except for the crackling of the fire. Both pairs of eyes were on the item. The man slowly bent over and picked of the object. And lifted it up. It was a silver ring that read one word on the out side
"Draxel?" Melody read " Do you think that's your name?
" Must be." He smiled " The first bit of my identity. My name
Draxel!"

Chapter >3<

Draxel sat in the clearing, a fair distance from Melody's house of refuge. She had left a while ago to run home. Something about her parents being pissed.What did that mean? He sat, twisting the ring around on his middle finger. He stared up at silver disc in the sky, alone, not even a visible star to accompany it. It's warm in that cabin over there. So why do I like it out here, away from it in the cold?
Even in the evillest moments, the moon will always outshine the sun.
Wait what? Where had that come from? He just suddenly thought of those words out of his brain. It came to him with a woman's voice, an elegant and calming voice, that almost put Draxel at ease.
Even in the evillest moments.
The evillest
moments? Draxel raked his fingers through his hair.
The moon will always outshine the sun...the moon will always outshine the sun...
He thought long about this. Long before a deep yawn came from his mouth and his eyes became a little watery.
"Time to find a place to sleep..." he muttered before he pulled himself up and turned towards the cabin. He barely made it to steps before an arrow whizzed past his ear and disappeared into the trees. He had just enough time to study the arrow. It was the same as the one in his leg, only longer and thicker than his arm. He felt the white fletchings tickle his cheek.
''Didn't think I'd actually catch you. But now... I've got you!''
Draxel, although he didn't want to, twisted around to face his attacker. He saw a 6-foot man and as wide as a tree trunk. He was clad in red and gold rustic amour, apart from his mouth and hands. In his left hand was what looked like a cross between a halberd and a mallet and and slung across his back were a few more of those oversized, headless arrows.
"This is where you've been hiding?!" He grunted, his teeth
flashing a dirty yellow "You weak fool! Thought you'd be a bit less cowardly! My student would always come out to fight!"
Draxel instantly felt a disliking to this man as he tightened his hands into fists. "I'm not your student! What are you talking about? Who are you?"
The man stepped back a little and then leaned forward into a fighting pose. "WHAT?! HOW HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN YOUR OWN TEACHER, THE ONE WHO TAUGHT YOU EVERYTHING?!" He bellowed so loud the birds fled the trees and the wind backed away from him.
Draxel shouted from gritted teeth "I said I'm not your student! I don't remember you or anything apart from my name. I awoke over by the lake and now I'm here! So just leave me alone!"
"That was a clever trick that you pulled back at the castle, but it seems you lost your mind in the making!" He threw his head back and laughed, a hearty yet frightening laugh, like when your nightmare has a nightmare.
His laughter suddenly stopped and he gripped his weapon. "Rest assured, this time you will not forget my name so easily. Your last memory will be of me, AXSAUR THE KNIGHT, crushing your bones into the ground. NOW DIE!!!" The knight suddenly lunged forward, weapon outstretched. But his attack missed wide as Draxel instinctively rolled to right, setting into a crouch."Woah." was all he could manage.
But he wasn't in the clear yet. His attacker rapidly crashed down his hammer from above, trying to break Draxel's skull. Once again, it harmlessly struck the ground, as Draxel had side-stepped away.
I can't beat this guy! Draxel thought He'll rip me apart!
Use the ring...
It was his 'mentor's' voice, only in his head. His voice seemed more caring and instructing then now. As if he was teaching him once. He remembered as he somehow dodged the swipes.
C'mon kid. Cross your fingers and summon your bound weapon! You need to concentrate though! Do it and attack the dummy!
Draxel really needed whatever that 'bound weapon' is, otherwise it would spell his demise.
He jumped over to left and crossed his fingers. Nothing happened. He grunted and tried it again, this time with more concentration.
"Ha ha ha! You even forgot how to use a bound weapon?! You weak, pathetic fool! Now, you will repent for your sins!"
The might of his weapon hammered down. Draxel didn't have time to move so he put up his arms to protect him. He shut his eyes, waiting for the impending doom.
It never came. Instead there was and small white flash, a metal clang and a light tickle on his cheek
He forced his eyes open and stared in awe. The ring had disappeared, and instead, in his grip, was a long, silver sword. Long and thick, looked like it could slice through a cinder block with one slash. It was taller than him yet light enough to move with haste. The hilt was wrapped with chains and they led halfway up the blade. That tickle was the sparks that flew from the impact. In fact that impact was so large that Axsaur was pushed back to the ground, away from the new threat.
He grinned again, showing those horrid teeth. "You finally remembered something?! Good for You!'' He clapped his hands together as he said it. "Too bad it won't help you, I'll kill you before you can land a hit!''
Draxel turned his head from the sword to his enemy. A sudden new courage filled his heart. "So, Axsaur, was it?'' He asked, his voice low and cool. "I can't remember what my 'sins' were, but I don't want to find out! I'm here to force the blade of justice where your foul presence has corrupted!" He put one leg backwards and leaned forward. His words were just flowing out his mouth. He didn't even think before talking. His sword by his side, pointed forward, ready to strike.
"Ha! You're all talk, just like your idiot father! He used to say those very words!" He pointed a finger mockingly. "You both are pathe-"
"Just stop talking."
Axsaur didn't get to finish. Within the blink of an eye, Draxel pounced forward, with blinding speed and, with one thrust of his chained blade, knocked Axsaur's mallet out of his hand, bouncing away into the tree's.
Axsaur was speechless. With effort he crossed his fingers, like Draxel had done, and his weapon reappeared in hand. He wasn't feel as confident any more.
"Time for you... to bite the dust."
Axsaur swept his weapon upwards, but Draxel easily jumped to the right, just missing a strike to Axsaur's hand again. Draxel spun round and swung his blade, connecting with his armoured chest. Both got tired but none gave up. Both were evenly matched the entire fight and both put up a fierce battle. They collided, again and again, occasionally landing a blow.
After an age of battle, both sides stood, weapons poised, short of breath. But neither side backed down.
"You've... Gotten... better..." Axsaur said between breaths "But you'll still die at my hands!!!"
In the battle, Draxel had studied his opponent carefully. He knew the right time to strike.
He leaves his chest unprotected when he attacks, that is where I will strike
"DIE, YOU GHOST!" He crashed forward, hoping to finish this quick. It did end quick. But not the way he wanted. Draxel waited until the mallet's spikes were inches away. Quick as lightning, His blade sliced through his enemy lower chest.
They both swapped sides, both still. Axsaur stood wide eyed.
The knight fell to the ground. Draxel turned back as his sword disappeared. Instead of the blood that he expected, small glowing orbs floated up from Axsaur's body. Draxel watched them levitate towards the sky. The knight grunted and flipped himself on his own back. He put a hand over his wound, that was pouring light from it, and spoke. "I wasn't sure how you pulled of that trick back home, but it made me hate you. I remember telling you never to tinker around with magic. It's a horrible thing."
Draxel knelt by his side. "Axsaur..."
"Now you remember my name?"
"You knew me before, right? Please, can you tell me what happened to me? What was my sin? Who am I?"
He stayed quiet for a moment. "I could tell you... couldn't I? It would relieve you of your stress a bit. But I always hated giving away the ending. Especially on an occasion like this." he chuckled a little. "Besides, this is your tale, not mine."
He looked up at the night sky. A million more stars occupied the space than before.
"So, my student." his last words. "Stay safe, although you probably won't. Ashes to Ashes..."
Draxel drew back a tear " and Dust to Dust..."
Draxel was alone in the clearing, the wind whistling as the last of Axsaur's 'remains' dissipated away. The mentor's weapon glowed and shot into the sky as well, returning to its master.
"I guess this is where I'll sleep tonight..." he yawned before collapsing to the grass, peacefully asleep.
© Copyright 2016 Arctic (clank56 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2080680-Forgotten-in-the-Dust-Part-1