*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2082673-Just-Another-Day-of-Learning
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2082673
Learning about your planet is one thing. But what about the other planets nearby.

Just Another Day of Learning


     Instructor Molli walked among her Learners. As she stopped by each desk height cubicle she welcomed them back to the Learning Center. She also asked them if they had any questions. Molli also tapped her MiniMonitor she had in her hand before she moved on to the next Learner.

     When she stepped by Borrim she didn’t ask him about any questions. “Are you okay, Borrim. You have a blue collar around your neck.”

     “I’m okay. You know me, I get nervous when I’m about to take an examination.”

     “I know you do. You have had some pretty weird reactions to my test. But nothing like this has ever happened.”

     “This one is different. I’m not ready for it. And I know it’s going to be hard for me to pass this exam.”

     “You don’t need to worry about it. The examination today isn’t going to be that hard. I’m sure you are going to do just fine on it.”

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====

     Once again, Molli walked among her Learners who were starting to return to her Learning Area. As she welcomed them back from Play Time she was also tapping them into her MiniMonitor. When she passed by one desk cubicle the chair was empty. “Where is Vionna?”

     Just then Vionna materialized in her chair. She jumped a little when she glanced over her shoulder and saw Molli standing right next to her. “Sorry, I’m late getting back to Learning. I got here as quickly as I could.”

     “Why didn’t you return from Play Time with the rest of the Learners?” Molli had her arms folded. The MiniMonitor dangling to the side in one of her hands. She also had a very angry look on her face.

     “I didn’t go out for Play Time this time. Remember, I forgot to bring in my At-Home Studies today. So I went home to get them. I would have been back on time but an old woman took forever using the Transport Portal.”

     “I’m sorry if I sounded mad. I did forget you didn’t bring in you Study Cube.”

     Vionna dug through her Carry-All. Then handed Molli her Study Cube once she found it. She got so frustrated she couldn’t find it she dumped her Carry-all onto her desk. Vionna started putting her mess back into her Carry-All as Molli thanked her then moved on to her next Learner.

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====

     “What’s that?” Temme asked after pointing up at the large monitor floating in front of the desk cubicles.

     Molli had been walking among her Learners as she gave her Learning Sessions. She was a few cubicles past Temme when she asked her question. “That’s a gravel road we are looking at.” Molli didn’t stop her movement when she answered Temme.

     “There haven’t been any roads on Peatton for centuries. And we have never had one like these. But most planets do. In fact, the planet we are going on our Outing in a couple of weeks has a lot of them.”

     “Why don’t we have them anymore?” Temme had to turn in her chair slightly to follow Molli as she continued walking. All the Learners did that.

     “That’s a stupid question. We don’t travel around in Land Transports anymore.”

     “No question is a stupid one. But Stevvon is right about the Land Transports though. Can anyone tell me who created the Transport Portals? Never mind that. That’s another Learning Session. Let’s get back to this one. Can anyone tell me about Xoc?”

     “We are the fourth planet in our System of Planets. And it’s the tenth one.” Stevvon was the first one who spoke.

     “Now who is the stupid one.” Temme shot back. “Molli didn’t ask us where it was at. She wanted to know about the planet itself.”

     “Where it’s at is also a part of what’s on the surface of it.” Vionna voiced her opinion.
“No, it isn’t. They are connected. But they aren’t the same thing.” Borrim quickly added.

     “Let’s all settle down. This is getting out of control. You are all nine to eleven. Start acting your ages.”

     “We are,” responded Stevvon. All the Learners burst out laughing. So did Molli after about a minute of trying not to do it.

     While Molli and her Learners were talking images of Xoc appeared on the large monitor in front of them. Every few seconds a different image popped up. That, and their discussion on Xoc, continued on for about another half hour.

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====

     Molli now stood in front of her Learners. She leaned back against her raised desk cubicle behind her. Also behind her on the large monitor more images of Xoc continued to appear.

     “That’s enough learning for today. We will continue our discussion of Xoc tomorrow.”

     The Learners started gathering up their stuff. “By the way, I don’t have all of your Acknowledgements yet. If you still want to go to Xoc with the rest of us I need them by the end of this week. And yes, I know that’s only a couple of days from now.”

     As the Learners started leaving that Learning Area Molli placed her hands on the shoulders of Accic. “Where is your name tag Accic? You know you are supposed to wear it at all time while on the Orbital.”

     Accic lowered his chin to his chest. “You’re right. I can’t feel it. It’s not there. It must have fallen off during our third Play Time. I’ll see if I can find it on my way home. If I can’t I will make me one before tomorrow.”

     “You need to find it before you leave – if you can. If not come back here and I’ll help you get home. After all, you can’t come and go off of the Orbital without it.”

     While Learners left for that day Molli walked over and looked out a small window. All she could see out of one eye was Space and out the other was Peatton below them.




© Copyright 2016 PureSciFiPlus (purescifi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2082673-Just-Another-Day-of-Learning