*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2082880-Bus-Stop
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Dark · #2082880
Short horror story that occurs at a bus stop.
         The night was almost pitch black and the cool rain just made it harder for me to see, which is probably why I almost didn't see her. There was a woman standing next to the bus stop bench, her rain soaked hair hid her pale face. She looked away when I approached, almost as if she were avoiding me. Maybe she thinks I'm a mugger or something, I reasoned with myself. Neither of us said a word as we waited for the bus. I pulled my phone from my pocket, hoping for a little entertainment while I waited, but my battery was dead. I tried not to look at the woman, but it was clear she was inching closer and closer to me.
"Hey, what has you out this late?" I asked. I was just trying to make small talk, but the woman ignored me. Maybe she couldn't hear me over the sound of the rain, I reasoned. I didn't like thinking the worst of people, something about this woman bothered me. She still wasn't looking at me, but I felt like someone was watching me. I instantly regretted staying out as late as I had. I rose from the bus bench, ready to run home if I had to, but the woman blocked my path.
She was standing close enough that I should have felt her body heat, but I felt nothing but cold. "Are you ok, miss?" I asked her. My legs shook in fear as I thought about pushing her aside. I had never been a good fighter, and I didn't see that changing tonight. I could only hope that she would take in my ragged appearance and knock off purse and know that I wasn't worth robbing. A chill ran down my spine as I realized there were other things she could do to me besides robbing me.
A few minutes passed before she said anything, and then she raised her face so that I could see it under the dim bus stop lighting. "Do you think I'm pretty?" she asked as she pushed her hair behind her ears. It took everything I had to keep me from screaming. The woman would have been beautiful, if not for the fact that her mouth had been ripped open. Blood still dripped from the wound that covered the entire bottom half of her face. She smiled at me, revealing the bloody flesh that clung to her otherwise perfect teeth. My heart sank to my stomach when I realized her smile would be the last thing I ever saw.

© Copyright 2016 JMcCulloch (jmcculloch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2082880-Bus-Stop