*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2085062-The-Bird
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2085062
Three Minute Read
The Bird

Looking up I saw a bird fly by with a large leaf in it’s beak. I’d never seen that before. Squirrels yes, the original hoarders. I’d seen videos of ants. But a bird? Not nest material, not around here anyway. I was getting more intrigued. I’d seen where he landed. With nothing more pressing, I decided to try tracking the bird.

Moving slowly, I headed for the group of trees. Getting closer I could hear birds, however no idea if “my” bird was among them. I slowed down more, thinking if I could blend in with the gently blowing bushes, maybe they wouldn’t notice I was the wrong color. It seemed to be working, the bird noises got louder, and a couple new birds flew in.

Finally, close enough, I peered over the brush. There was open space in the center of the trees. Was I dreaming? The birds had rigged up a canopy of leaves on sticks! I stood there in awe for a few minutes. Bigger birds were “chatting?” as smaller birds ran around like little kids. There were piles of bugs and seeds here and there… They were having a picnic!

I must have made a noise at the revelation, suddenly they all swooped up in a flash, my eyes closed protectively. When I opened them, I was staring at an empty spot between some trees. Had I imagined it?

Finally turning to leave, a leaf fell against my hair. Looking up, there they all were, holding all the leaves and sticks and piles in their beaks and wings, practically holding their breath! Suddenly one flew down and landed on my shoulder.

In perfect English, and in a somewhat menacing voice, he said, “Don’t you dare tell.”

That’s it, I’m swearing off jalapenos before bed!
© Copyright 2016 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2085062-The-Bird