*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2085232-One-Night
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #2085232
A best friends betrayal
A soft wind chiming startled me at what looked to be 6 in the morning. I struggled to find the snooze button and contemplated curling back up in the covers since I'd only gotten home 2 hours before but knew it was pointless once I was awake it was for good. I heard a faint breathing that couldn't be matched with my cousin Anna's loud snoring and was almost surprised to find Audrey asleep at the foot of my bed still in the same clothes as when I saw her at the party. Almost... Surprised. Even asleep she had that look about her. I wouldn't say beautiful and she wouldn't have let me because she refused to be labeled or categorized as anything except simply Audrey which was a label in its own. Many knew her before even knowing what she looked like. I'd yearned to be her friend since I moved here and saw my cousin Anna one of her "best friends" as the perfect opportunity to develop this friendship. And all of this was about to be ruined because of what I mistakenly witnessed last night.
I was stumbling into the kitchen of Zack's house searching frantically for a familiar face. When I along with the few others crowded among the pong table let my eyes fall on Audrey. But me and the crowd were looking for two different reasons. I wasnt fawning over her choice of clothing which left little to the imagination or envying the object of her attention whom she was hanging all over, waiting for him to slip up so I could get a chance to talk with her instead. No, I was trying to figure out why she was pressed against Kyle, Anna's boyfriend, my cousin's boyfriend. Why she nonchalantly flipped her hair over her shoulder and stared at him as if what he was saying was the most important thing in the world. She had a habit of doing that. Giving her full attention and not seeming the least bit uninterested. It's what made her a good person. But having a habit of hooking up with people's boyfriends well that's what made her the worst. They were talking more hushed but I could still make out the words, her claiming she had nowhere to say after the party, him offering his bed so long she kept it from Anna and with that she sauntered off, leaving me questionable whether the event before me even really occurred.
A few hours later when the music stopped vibrating throughout the house and the night grew dull my party of four shuffled to the car. Audrey still charged from the night flung herself into the passenger seat claiming it would be best for Kyle to drive. I cringed as I saw her joking and laughing with Anna on the ride home and even more so as I heard Kyle consoling Anna as he dropped us off saying he would get Audrey home safely and not to worry. But who could blame her after what happened last time. After she found out her boyfriend cheated on her with her best friend, the very same best friend who admitted to the mistake months ago, the same best friend she was letting him drive off with now.
Anna and I trudged up to our room and I could see the distress on her face. Her phone vibrated once and a message from Kyle saying he loved her goodnight lit up the screen. Minutes later Audrey texted she made it home safe thanks for the great night. I turned towards the wall guilt creeping up on me as Anna lay in bed alone not knowing what I knew, miles away the past was repeating itself.
© Copyright 2016 E. Raisner (eraisner30 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2085232-One-Night