*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2085252-Luck
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2085252
Three Minute Read
Luck

The party was in full swing when I arrived. They always are since I’m never invited. I drive around, see something interesting and join in. Florida is a party state, nobody knows half the people at any party so as long as I figure out who the hosts are, and avoid them, I’m golden. This one was easy, on a hill, it could be accessed from numerous points. I parked and walked up through a neighbor’s yard.

The trick is to blend in fast, and avoid cameras. Hellos to everyone, so they see you, and think you know them. Names whenever possible. Some woman says, “Jack, can you hand me that plate,” then me, “Jack, you old dog!” Within minutes, people actually think they know you.

The bathrooms are inside, an excuse to be in, nobody expects a robbery and everyone’s intoxicated. I once walked out of a room with a very valuable vase and bumped into a woman who immediately told me where to pick the best flowers. I left that vase, just in case, but the diamond necklace more than made up for it.

This haul was lovely. I was in and out in forty-five minutes and dinner to boot! Mostly jewelry, plus one cheap knickknack that appealed to me for some reason. Maybe it would bring me luck.

The next morning, relaxing in my hotel room, surrounded by my haul. I was holding the little knickknack in my hand while the TV news blared.

“Senator Brunhurst robbed!” the newscaster said. I looked up, apparently someone had a camera I’d missed. There was me, food in one hand, knickknack in the other with the caption, “Person of Interest.”

I was on the highway in less than ten minutes. California sounds like a pretty good party state…
© Copyright 2016 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2085252-Luck