*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2087454-A-symmetry-of-skeletons
by Louis
Rated: E · Short Story · Dark · #2087454
Something I decided to write at 2 AM. No it's not about graveyards.
In all directions my vision is filled: encompassed by silhouettes of skeletons. All black under the night sky, they form intersections at four junctions. Each intersection is prolonged by clones of the same motive; following the uncountable lines of perspective into an infinitely small point on the edge of the horizon.

The impossible geometry of connected cubes and unimaginably perfect symmetry follow my every move. Every step I take is in vain, as it takes me to a place exactly like the one I left, making returning to where I came from impossible as I am lost in the forest of dark pillars with nothing even minutely distinct to guide me. The infinitely repeating patterns, being conducive to madness, lead me into a state of lunacy; I feel my head begin to ache as I wander into what seems like nowhere, I mutter indistinct sounds and weep as my skull is filled with a cacophony of unstoppable, meaningless thoughts.

After what felt like an eternity of walking in between the un-ending pillars; I notice something blissfully out of the ordinary among the columns now grey from the unexpected sunrise: A pillar unlike the others. This one was circular, with numerous irregularities across its wonderfully erratic shape. It was not attached to the malicious web of infinite intersections, and was instead standing proudly on its own. I noticed something that I had failed to notice before in my panic; every single grey pillar was adorned with a sign made of a rotting wood. Adding to my confusion, there appeared to be names carved into the wooden planks across the grey pillars, but i couldn't decipher them no matter how close I examined them. However, the sign attached to the wondrous solitary pillar was carved magnificently and the name was unnaturally clear; it was engraved into my memory the moment I laid eyes on it.

Adjacent to it, there was an empty space: it held no pillar and was utterly empty. The mere sight of it next to the irregular construction provoked an abundance of ambition and creativity. The possibilities were as endless as the web. Finally, I read the sign that was planted here, or rather examined it, as it was empty, except for a dotted line anxiously awaiting a name
© Copyright 2016 Louis (snowyoxygen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2087454-A-symmetry-of-skeletons