*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2087602-An-Eventful-Morning
by Angel
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2087602
You find something different in the fridge in the morning than was there the night before.

It had been a very uneventful evening, we watched TV, my favourite programme had been on, Big Bang Theory, the only thing that stuck out in my mind. Retiring to bed at our normal time, around midnight, there was no sign of the strange happenings that were to come. At around two a.m. I was awoken to bright lights in the sky, flashes, so close to the house that it was frightening. I expected to hear something crash, they were so close. Then it stopped as quickly as it had begun. I stood at the window for a long time after it stopped wondering if I would see anything else, but all was quiet, so I went back to bed. George, of course, slept through it all.

The next morning George got up before me, he always did, he had to go to work, part-time now, as he was getting older. I heard something crash to the floor, and George called out my name in a voice that had a real sense of panic in it. I jumped out of bed and rushed down the stairs to find George staring into the fridge. To be fair, I expected him to be lying on the floor in agony considering the fear in his voice.

I asked him what the problem was, all he could do was point into the fridge, so I looked nervously past him into where his focus was, it was empty except for an egg. It was large, about the size of an ostrich egg; it was dark green and dimpled, it was just sitting in the middle of the fridge.

I didn't know what to say or do, I popped next door to see if Tom and Nettie had experienced the same thing, they said yes, they had no idea either what it was so they decided that as it was an egg, and their fridge was empty, they would try cracking it. Turned out it looked just like an ordinary egg, so they'd cooked it, and they'd eaten it.

So, I went home and said to George, how about an omelette for breakfast then. Apparently, it was the worst attempt at an alien invasion ever attempted.

© Copyright 2016 Angel (angelglory at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2087602-An-Eventful-Morning