*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2087960-After-Sunset-in-Pearl-Mist
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2087960
Prompt Words: pearl, village, mirror Word Count = 298
Dusk was Ingrid's favorite time of day. As the sunset over the distant mountains the gate wardens changed shifts closing both entrances to the village. In the town square, merchants closed their stalls, withdrawing into the safety of one of the inns or their homes. The pubs opened their doors inviting the sleepless or wanderers into their warm embrace. Only shape shifters and Guard Patrols walked the streets of Pearl Mist after sunset.

Hearing the distant clink of metal on metal, Ingrid slipped into the shadow of an alley waiting to see what was approaching. Trembling in anticipation, she stared into the dimly illuminated street looking toward the sound. As she stood she caught a glint of silver reflected from the helmet of the commander of the village's guard. Smiling, she morphed into a black cat, ambled into the flickering glow of a street lamp, and sat down on her hunches waiting for Commander Drummond to walk past.

"Well," said Commander Andre Drummond stopping at the street light and kneeling down by the cat. "What are you doing out this late?" He stroked Ingrid behind the ears, "And where is your mistress?" Ingrid began purring as the commander stroked her ebony fur. Picking her up, Commander Drummond continued his walk toward the village's west gate.

Stretching her paw under his beard, into the soft area of his neck between his head and the top of his chainmail she unsheathed her claws and dug them into his jugular vein. He screeched, let her go, and then fell to the ground. Transforming back into a her human form, Ingrid grabbed the gold cameo locket hanging around his neck and jerked. Opening the locket, she looked into the its tiny mirror. Then she closed the locket and ran into the nearest pub.
© Copyright 2016 Prosperous Snow Valentine (nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2087960-After-Sunset-in-Pearl-Mist