*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2090670-Reborn-from-the-earth
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Death · #2090670
A town is struck down by a volcano. Creatures rise from the cooled lava.
In the dawn, the sun rises over the ocean. An orange sky peers down at a crescent-shaped island. Tropical trees paint the island in green. A volcano, at the island's peak, blows smoke, as thin as mist. A fishing town rests on the edge of a large cove. A stone wall surrounds the town. New ships dock in the harbor; while others set sail. The townspeople awake and begin their day. Soon, the streets bear the sounds of life. Fisherman, back from the sea, sell their goods in the market. They yell the words best known to them. The crowds rush to buy. Local chefs and the servants of the prosperous reserve choice pick. The church bells ring in the air. Men and woman gather for a wedding.

In the morning, the earth shakes. The volcano bellows out thick clouds of smoke and large clumps of earth. Blazing yellow lava seeps down the cliffside, like batter overflowing a pot. Boulders hurl toward the town. Houses crumble under their weight. Explosions, like cannon fire, fill the air. The town panics. The cries of the injured and afraid are muted by the roar of the volcano. The townsfolk scramble like ants. Most race for the ships. Others race home to gather their things and loved ones. The ships board as many as they can before setting sail.

In the afternoon, the orange burning lava reaches the town wall. The ships watch it crumble to the immense heat. The wall vanishes before their very eyes. The lava continues to ooze unimpeded through the demolished town. It devours any bodies left in the streets or trapped in the buildings. Silence curses the air as the ships watch their town disappear.

In the evening, the volcano rests. The thick gray clouds return to a thin white mist. The lava stops at the harbor. It cools to a solid black. The ships watch as the last of the glowing streams fade to nothing. They wait still in silence.

In the dusk, cracks, like those of an egg, appear all across town. They glow with the brilliance of fresh lava. Soon enormous orbs break from the earth. Like patterns on a lantern, human remains decorate the orbs. Boiling blood drips from the mouths and eye sockets of skulls. Spines, arms, and legs dangle from the bottoms like the tentacles of a jellyfish. The ships watch as the illuminated creature rise to the setting sun. Their bodies disappear into the orange twilight sky.

In the night, the creatures glow in the heavens. They take the form of stars. The townsfolk kneel on their ships and pray. They pray for their friends, their families, and their lovers. They pray for those both here and gone. When they finish praying, the ships return to the harbor. The townspeople leave the ships and begin rebuilding.
© Copyright 2016 Samuel R. J. Cheshire (jeff.hintz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2090670-Reborn-from-the-earth