*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2090721-She-Talks-with-Me
Rated: E · Prose · Family · #2090721
Having a child in her teens, who still freely talks with me is such a gift.
The teenage years have often been described as a turbulent trip through white water rapids. I've had no reason to question this description, but having just passed the momentous mark of 13 this fall, I am grateful my daughter still talks freely with me about the difficulties of life.

Next, I would like to handle something, delicately. I trust this will reveal deep gratitude sheltered in great dignity.

Recently, we have experienced a rush of maturity, and gloriously she still talks with me. It is challenging to be a father in the task of providing appropriate help in all areas of life for a new teenaged young lady. (I have heard of men, who have difficulty going to the store to purchase the tools of femininity for their wives. Yet, I find it an honor to be asked to approach the task for either of the dear ladies in my life.)

What a privilege to help in times of great need!

Perhaps the closeness started, when I sang to her in her mother's belly.

Of course, we have been very close, since the day of her birth.

The umbilical cord prolapsed around her neck.
Fluid was in her mouth.
We experienced the mad rush down the hall to the newborn critical care unit.
The little baby girl was lying on the "hot plate."
The daddy placed his face near the baby's face, reassuringly, "Daddy is here. I love you."

Being a work-from-home dad for many years has had many unique elements, including the privilege of talking with my daughter about anything and everything on a moment by moment basis. I've had the privilege and pleasure of seeing her artwork improve over the years. It has been my great joy in praising and encouraging her on every step of the way. The same has been done for her writing skills. She just recently became a writer on Writing.Com. Please, feel free to welcome, Jade Amber Jewel. Jade Amber Jewel

This next step in maturity should be no different than the rest. If I handle these days with dignity and kindness, if I give grace as is needed, then there is reason to believe, that the other side of the teenage years will be even more blessed than when we went into them.

Neither of us is perfect, but our respect for each other is growing.

She talks with me. What a blessing that is!
© Copyright 2016 Jay O'Toole (777stan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2090721-She-Talks-with-Me