*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2090946-Well-Make-It-Work
Rated: E · Fiction · Personal · #2090946
Sometimes bad starts and mistakes aren't final. Everybody needs a second chance.
He screened every opportunity.
He worked his fingers to the bone.
Yet, there were still no answers.

Stan was a child of great promise, but somehow he never seemed to measure up to his potential.

Born with a silver spoon in his mouth, Stan was being groomed to be the leader of industry.

An "F" on a fourth grade paper didn't seem like that much, but sadly that was a harbinger of things to come.

Stan dropped out of school at 16.
He tried to join the army at 18, but was 4F.
He gave Ronald McDonald a chance, but didn't last long flippin' burgers with a flippant tongue.

One doesn't go to college with no high school diploma, but a GED got him into vocational school. There he discovered that his fingers were made for screening problems in small internal combustion engines. This was his answer.

Stan tuned small engines like well-made Stradivarius violins.
Pretty soon his boss was overwhelmed with the demand for Stan's small-engine skills.
The waiting list was nearly a month long at times.

It became apparent that he should start his own business. A catchy name certainly couldn't hurt, but what?

Stan's Silver Spoon Spark Plugs and More gave homage to his heritage, but it was quite a mouthful.

Stradivarius Fiddles with Violins, We Fiddle with Engines. Again, quite ambitious, but too ludicrous to put on a letterhead.

Bad Start - Good Engine...close but no cigar. "We're on the right track!" Stan exulted.

TLC Fine Tuning: "It didn't start right, but we'll make it work!"

"That's the ticket!" Stan had really found his answer.

Word count : 271







© Copyright 2016 Jay O'Toole (777stan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2090946-Well-Make-It-Work