*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2091070-Home
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2091070
Flash Fiction
Home

A beautiful home, landscaped yard, picture perfect. But it was just a picture. Alex bought it without even telling her. It was a surprise. Everyone envied her, she went along with how "lucky" she was because reality was too painful.

It was a lovely cage. Her entire life was the picture of bliss because that's what was required of her. When Alex spoke she was to jump. But worse, she had to act as if it was all wonderful, even when they were alone. If she stepped out of the circle of pretended bliss, by even a fleeting look, there would be consequences. He knew how to hurt her.

First it was things, anything that she cared about, ruined, gone. So she stopped having things. But there was more she cared about, and he knew. So eventually she just stopped caring about anything, it was easier. Then came the stray cat.

She only fed him behind the garage while Alex was at work. Somehow the cat knew not to come closer. Maybe animals sensed evil. Then one day the cat was very sick, she was worried about him, but she knew Alex would never allow her to bring him in.

That night she was already in bed when the house alarm went off. Immediately calling the police, she actually cried as she told them she was upstairs, but her husband was downstairs and not answering. They came immediately but too late for Alex. He was on the sofa, his head bashed in with the fireplace poker.

Hours later, they concluded a burglary gone wrong, and left her to her grief. Alice climbed the stairs, exhausted. It had been a long night and she wanted to check on the stray cat, hidden in their bedroom… her bedroom.

She smiled.
© Copyright 2016 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2091070-Home