*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2092411-Dinner
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2092411
Flash Fiction
Dinner

Lisa was nervous that night, dinner for her fiancé’s parents whom she’d only met so far by skype. Dan had suggested dinner out, but one thing Lisa was certain of was her cooking. If she couldn’t win them over with her lasagna, there was little hope.

Everything was ready, the table set, the apartment spotless, the cooking under control, Dan would be here with his parents shortly. All she had to do was change clothes. She had carefully planned her outfit to look sweet, but smart, caring but confident.

She was so nervous! She rarely let things get to her, but suddenly having Dan’s parents like her was really important. Feeling claustrophobic she opened the window, breathing in the fresh air. She was fiddling with her engagement ring which was a tad loose. They’d planned to have it sized, but it was so new she hadn’t wanted to let it go yet. Suddenly it popped off, and to her horror, out the window, down the roof, and landed on the canopy over the front door!

Lisa flew downstairs. There was nobody around, but there was a trellis on the building that ran up next to the canopy. She climbed up quickly, reaching as far as she could, she got it! Breathing a sigh of relief, she put it back on her finger, letting go of the trellis just long enough, unfortunately, to careen back and fall. She heard screaming, her name, and then someone caught her! Dan was yelling her name, his mother had been the one screaming, and as she looked into the very familiar eyes of the stranger who caught her, she finally stopped being nervous. “Hello," she said, to the man holding her, “you must be Dan’s father!”

After that, the dinner actually went very well indeed.
© Copyright 2016 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2092411-Dinner