*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2093965-Zarths-Escape-part-1-Remaster
by karl
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #2093965
Rewrite of the first paragraph of Zarth's Escape part 1 that i wrote at 17 years old!
Back when i was 17 i decided i was going to sit down and write (as fast as i could) a short story that i made up as i went along. 9 years later I've decided to remaster the story and see how I've progressed over the last few years, even though i haven't wrote anything else! So, here is the unedited first chapter:

Zarth felt immense pain as the arrow head embedded itself under his left shoulder blade. He screamed out in pain and painfully wrenched out the arrow with his right hand before casting it aside. Immediately his body started to heal the wound, repairing the torn muscle and closing the skin, leaving no mark. Zarth stumbled further down the slope and moved in behind a huge jagged boulder which it had become wedged between two pine trees. Arrows flew past him, as he sheltered behind the hard stone, hitting into trees and the soft earth of the valley floor.

Zarth reached into his cloak and grabbed hold of a small bright blue stone that was dangling from a thin silver chain. He shivered as he felt the power coursing through his body, giving energy to his aching limbs. He knew that he shouldn’t be using the stone, as cost would be deadly. The Dargulth would immediately pick up on the waves of power that emit from the stone, when it is used and thus would be upon him before he had time to think. Zarth had the knowledge to create a ward charm which would shield him from the preying eyes of magical creatures and hunters that stalked him through the forest. But any mortal creature would be able to set there sights on him with means to hide, that was another problem for another time


Letting go off the stone, Zarth stepped back from the boulder and held out his hands, his eyes closed in concentration. He summoned the power and used it to levitate up the huge boulder and walking behind he made his way to the hunters who were still continuing to pepper him with arrows. The four hunters who did not know Zarths intentions, stood foolishly together as the boulder was suddenly was hurled at them, killing three outright and knocking the fourth against a tree, smashing his back. The boulder itself continued to fly through the air smashing through several small trees before coming to a stop after crashing into a huge oak. Zarth stood back and looked in shock at the devastation he had caused in front of him. The forest was silent, the birds had flown away from the loud noise' leaving the clearing deathly quiet. Now filled with adrenaline he went up to the bodies of the hunters and checked to see if any were still alive, as he came up to the fourth hunter with the broken spine he saw that that the man was still breathing. Using the stones power once more he lifted the hunter into the air in front of him.

Zarth was about to interrogate the hunter when the screaming of the Dargulth echoed down the valley, his whole body shivered and the hairs on the back of his neck stood on end, his adrenaline disappearing. He lost concentration and the hunter feel to the ground head first and landed with a crack as his neck broke. Zarth panicked, his ward shield has failed! Turning around he sprinted into the shadows of the trees to make his escape. I will never let them get the stone he thought.



Now here is the first paragraph that i revisited today. I'm going to rewrite the whole chapter shortly!

Under the swaying branches of Yadel forests oak tree's, the freely sweating form of a thief named Zarth cried out in pain as the arrow pierced his shoulder blade. Stumbling to a halt behind a moss covered tree, he heavily fell heavily against the bark. Looking up and closing his eyes tightly Zarth took a deep shuddered breath and wrenched the arrow out with his right hand before casting it aside with a groan. Immediately the wound began to close, his body repairing the torn muscle, the skin reforming over the jagged tear. Within moments not a trace remained. Pushing himself from the tree he stumbled on into the ever darkening wood. The sun, barely peeking out over the distant mountains was waning in strength and the shadows were growing larger behind him. The ground sloped downwards and he headed towards a large boulder that had managed to wedge itself between two towering oaks. Arrows flew past him, striking bark and the soft earth of the valley floor. However none of the deadly missiles hit their fleeing target.

© Copyright 2016 karl (kingkarl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2093965-Zarths-Escape-part-1-Remaster