*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2094192-Calaveras-de-Azcar
Rated: E · Poetry · Cultural · #2094192
A Father speaks to his Daughter about Día de los Muertos(Day of the Dead)
Because, mija, the candles only shine when there is no light. Because, mija, the soul gets hungry, too. Because, mija, even the dead like to dance. Because dancing is best with friends. Because dancing in the dark among the graves is to dance with Death. Whom you must never fear. Because the candles will light his face. Because with a marigold over your ear you hold life, you are the sun. Orange, yellow, burning, blossoming life. Because you shine as you bloom, shine over yourself, over the dead. Because life looms over the dead as Death looms over us all. Because He is waiting, but you do not wait, because we remember. Because, my marigold, mi sol, you bring light to the dead. You wake them with your warmth, mi sol. Because you are the sun and love is the moon. Because love is always reflected by those who love. Because love is infinite. Because life is infinite when love is infinite. Because as you dance in the wind with your marigolds, mi sol, and your half painted face, sun and moon, life and death, love, always love. Because even La Catrina dances with you now, as we all do. Because death is sweeter than your candies, the ofrendas, than your soul, mi sol. Because death is sweeter for having lived. And sweeter still for always living. Because some things are even sweeter than your calavera de azúcar. And she loved the night more because life was more visible in the dark, and love shone brighter in the night. Calaveras de calacas, la vida de muerte. Life forever in death, in love, mija.
© Copyright 2016 Alma Marina Terra (almaterra at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2094192-Calaveras-de-Azcar