*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2096580-The-Traveler
Rated: E · Fiction · Sci-fi · #2096580
A boy follows a stranger and makes a startling discovery.

Costen dragged out his fishing net and preceded to untangle it.

“Rats, nothing again.”

He glanced up from the dock and noticed a man walking quickly across the cobbled stone street. The man was not a local.

“I wonder where he is going in such a hurry.” Costen said to himself.

The fishing village was small and quaint so when a traveler such as the man arrived it caused a great stir. And it did for a couple of days. Whispers of who he might be and where he came from transpired throughout the village, but nobody bothered to approach the man to ask.

The traveler always kept to himself and constantly looked around as if someone was after him.

Costen was determined to find out what the traveler was up to. He knew the traveler always stuck to the same route at the exact time every day.

The next morning he glanced out his window and sure enough the traveler was on schedule. Costen quickly and quietly made his way outside. His short legs hurried to keep up with the man. With determination he followed him, however instead of going his usual route, the traveler made his way to the docks. He walked up the planks to a ship.

This ship was unlike any Costen had ever seen. It was sleek and glossy unlike the other ships anchored. It had no masts and he could see no way to steer it. He quickly climbed on board and hid in the galley.

Costen felt shaking and rattling and realized the ship was moving. He peeked out from behind some barrels and quickly made his way to the deck. He made himself scarce as possible. Costen then realized the ship was gaining not knots but altitude. The ship was flying! Soon it reached clouds and it stopped suddenly. He hid behind an old anchor as the suspicious traveler climbed over the side and disappeared. Costen looked over the starboard side and noticed the traveler standing on the cloud. The traveler said some unusual words and then out of the clouds large wall came up from out of the clouds! It didn't stop. It was then he realized he just built an entire city on the clouds.

The traveler walked back onto his ship and stopped in front of Costen. Costen glanced up and smiled nervously. He was able to get a good look as the stranger. He was unremarkable in appearance. The traveler would be able to blend in. His eyes were kind and held mystery to them.

Then the traveler did something unexpected. He smiled and handed him a strange key. The key was rectangle in shape and hanged on a thin chain. Costen grasped it and placed it around his neck. The traveler again said some strange words and he fell asleep.

Costen jerked himself awake. He noticed the sun was beginning to set. He realized he had fallen asleep at the docks again.

Costen paused. “What a strange dream I had.” He glanced around and sure enough there was no sign of the strange ship he had been aboard.

When he arrived at his cottage, Costen felt something cool pressing against his skin. He pulled out a rectangle shaped key and smiled.


© Copyright 2016 J.K. Wyatt (evermute at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2096580-The-Traveler