*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2096840-DEADLINE
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Espero
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2096840
Sally's Deadline
“Sally Middlington, get in here for a minute, would you please?”

“Be there in a sec, Sir,” she replied.

Sally threw back her head, closed her eyes and let out a big breath. She leaned forward, rubbed her neck, and slowly rose her little frame from the chair and headed for the boss's office.

“Have a seat, Sally, we have to talk.”

“I know, I know,” Sally said, “I'm trying, really I am Sir.”

Seth glared, his eyes locking into hers making her fidget nervously. His heavy frame and boisterous personality kept Sally on edge, not knowing what might come next. Seth wasn't afraid to speak his mind.

“Listen, I didn't hire you to TRY, I want results. You haven't given me anything yet for tomorrow morning's newspaper article. You do have something in mind, don't you?” It has to be set and on the truck at 4:00 am.

“Ummm, I have a few ideas,” Sally replied.

“IDEAS? How's this for an idea? You produce something for me by press time or you will be gone.” Gone I say, do you understand?”

Sally cast down her eyes and nodded. “Yes sir.”

“Get to work then, don't let me down. I mean it Sally, this is the last straw, the last straw!”

“I won't sir.”

Back at her desk Sally thought to herself. “What to do, what to do, I haven't the foggiest idea what to write.” Getting up she told her co-worker she was going for coffee. The elevator opened but there was a commotion going on inside.

“What's going on?” Sally asked.

“Lady having baby,” was the reply.

BINGO

Next day an article in the paper read: Lady has baby in elevator by Sally Middlington.


300 Words
© Copyright 2016 Espero (espero at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2096840-DEADLINE