*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2096998-A-Tread-Through-the-Eve
Rated: E · Short Story · Environment · #2096998
After a long day, a nice walk could really do some good.
         The sound of children screaming, and the bright lights of the arcade, dulled to a soft grumble as Johnathan exited the building. His sweat-stained shirt stuck to his body and he quickly moved to loosen his tie and unbutton the top buttons. He looked up and saw the white blanket of fog and the quickly darkening sky. He smiled and took in the cool damp air for a moment. It was times like this that he really appreciated the weather. He made his way to the car slowly, taking in the sight of long-awaited fog. Johnathan entered his car and looked back upon the arcade, noting that it seemed to glow in the low light.
         The drive home didn't take Johnathan long, and all the while he sat in awe of the cool air and the way the fog seemed to both conceal and reveal everything. To his delight, the fog remained just as thick all the way to his apartment.
         Johnathan exited his car and rather than leaving for his bed like he would otherwise, he just stood, reveling in the cool evening air. Though it seemed to be darkening quickly. After a few long moments, Johnathan began to walk, tracing up and down his neighborhood sidewalk, tracing what homes he could see in the distance and staring at the lights bouncing around, as if he were a moth caught by the beams of light and drawing him nearer, ever closer to the light.
         When he was near collapsing with weariness, Johnathan reluctantly returned to his apartment and bid adieu to the night.
© Copyright 2016 ~Jaytalon (jaytalon98 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2096998-A-Tread-Through-the-Eve