*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2100682-Lucky-One
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest · #2100682
Dialogue 500 entry
“So…”

“So?”

“Yep.”

“Uh, what’s wrong?”

“Look, I really hate to do this to you but I don’t think this is going to work out.”

“But, why?”

“We don’t have anything in common anymore.”

“We don’t?”

“See? That right there. It just doesn’t work, you never used to question every little thing I said. Now it seems like you can’t form a unique thought for yourself.”

“I don’t think that’s right, do I?”

“It’s not you, it’s me. We can still be friends and all that jazz.”

“Hey! Why are you making fun of me?”

“I’m sorry. I know it’s not your fault. After all, you didn’t ask for them to scoop you out and make you empty. And that face they carved into you is hideous. I mean, you have only two large teeth in the front.”

“So you’re saying it’s because of my hideous face?”

“Would it make you feel better if that is what I was saying?”

“No.”

“I’m saying that ever since the humans scooped out your seeds and carved you up, that you aren’t the same pumpkin I was happy with.”

“Well, I’m a jack-o-lantern so…”

“Ugh, don’t even say that word. It’s so disgusting. Jack-o-lanterns are just freaks. There is nothing worse than being made into a jack-o-lantern! And you were excited that they picked you to be carved on! Why? Can you tell me why you were so excited to let them destroy you?”

“I’m still here. They didn’t destroy me. There was something important the humans said when they picked us out of the patch. I can’t remember.”

“You’re useless. I can’t believe that I ever wanted to curl my vines with yours! Your hideous and stupid! I wish I didn’t have to sit here next to you.”

“Were you always this mean?”

“I’m not being mean, I’m just telling the truth.”

“I know there was something important about why I didn’t want to be left the whole pumpkin. I’m trying to remember what it was.”

“Oh just shut up you are no use at all.”

“You are going to be sorry for being so mean. You’ll wish you were the jack-o-lantern soon.”

“Why would you say that?”

“Because I remembered why I didn’t want to be the whole pumpkin.”

“Why?”

“Because you’re not going to be a hideous creation, or have a candle shoved inside of you, or have trouble remembering things because your insides have been scooped away. Oh no, you will have it much worse.”

“AIEEEEE!!!! Where is this human taking me?!? No! No! Please, anything but that! I’d rather be a jack-o-lantern. Help! Help!”

“Yep. I’d rather be a half-wit hideous jack-o-lantern then pumpkin pie.”

(word count:447)
© Copyright 2016 A.J. Barretts (fiana_darklord at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2100682-Lucky-One