*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2100810-Dougies-Terrible-Day
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #2100810
All Dougie wanted to do was drive into town, and grab a treat. Was that too much to ask?
         If you asked, most people would say that Dougie was a bachelor, and he lived alone. They might add that he'd never been married, or they couldn't recall a girlfriend. This would not be entirely accurate because Dougie did share his home with a dog, a rather large, shaggy mutt. Not having a companion that required conversation, constant or otherwise, suited them both. They grew accustomed to each other's silence.
          One early spring evening, Dougie decided he couldn't ignore his craving any longer. What he wanted could only be appeased by a visit to the nearest variety store, so he whistled and held open his vehicle's door. His canine companion didn't need any more urging. His tail swishing and ears perked to attention, the dog scrabbled into the passenger seat. With the wind ruffling his fur, and his long tongue panting, Dog pointed his snout out the window. He had no concept of miles travelled. He did blink against the road dust. He did snuffle and snort. Road trips were a rarity, and he was revelling in this one.
          Dusk had tinted the sky purple by the time Dougie pulled into the convenience store's miniscule lot next to a couple of local's cars. Without a backward glance, he strode inside. Dog settled down to wait. He was just along for the ride.
         Cocking his ears, Dog scrambled to his feet. He could see and hear his master push open the heavy steel door, and drop something on the ground. The thunk to the skull was unmistakable, but so was the crinkling of a food wrapper. Dog's mouth dripped with saliva. He could chow down on a snack.
          Clutching a plastic bag under one arm, Dougie hauled himself up into the driver's seat. He started the engine, rubbed his forehead, and reversed out onto the street. As he steered, he ripped open a bag of Cheetos. Aaah, yes, this is why he'd left home on a whim. After a few blocks of crunching, Dougie felt a niggle. Had he forgotten something? Patting his chest, he didn't feel the tight straps of his seatbelt. Tugging and grunting, he soon clicked the assembly together. Phew, he didn't need another expensive ticket! Reaching into the bag clutched between his knees, Dougie felt another twinge. What was he supposed to remember? Wait, when he left the store he did see a flash of blue out of the corner of his eye. Had someone come out to speak with him? Sighing, Dougie manoeuvered into a quick U-turn. Maybe he'd better drive back and see.
         It's not as if he had any other plans at the moment. He didn't have to rush back home, there was nothing but reruns on the boob tube anyway. He didn't often meet or speak with anyone, so this could be important. Easing off the accelerator, Dougie cruised slowly past the Quikmart. It made no sense to stop there if no one seemed to be waiting for him. Dougie peered as he rolled past, but he didn't recognize anyone. Stepping on the gas, he sped away. He returned to his crunching, and headed for the highway. Just as he merged with the traffic, Dougie had a worrying thought. Perhaps he was being too hasty, one more pass by the store couldn't hurt. Sighing, he signalled to exit.
         Once again, Dougie crawled on the silent street as he approached the Quikmart for a second scouting trip. This time, he spied an acquaintance, Jim, jumping up and down, waving his arms. This caught Dougie's attention, so he drove onto the lot, slipped his van into park, and rolled down the window. Before he could greet Jim or ask him about his commotion, Jim shouted, "Are you looking for something?" Dougie frowned and shrugged. What was Jim going on about? Jim had his jaw clenched, and he was thrusting it towards Dougie. Mystified, Dougie swept his eyes around the cab. "My dog, where's my dog?" Nodding and muttering, "Yep, yep," Jim pointed across the parking lot.
          Brushing orange cheese crumbs from his shirt, a bewildered Dougie stumbled from behind the steering wheel. Squinting, he followed the finger indicator, and gasped. There was his patient pooch perched on the passenger seat of a silver van, a familiar silver van, his silver van. Slinking to his waiting vehicle, Dougie heard Jim slip in the last word. "Don't forget to leave my keys where you found them, okay, Dougie?"
         741 words
© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2100810-Dougies-Terrible-Day