*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2101704-Anime-Hamster
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Young Adult · #2101704
Geeks, a jock, and an obsession with anime. Second place Journeys Through Genres, Nov 2016
Merit Badge in Journey Through Genres
[Click For More Info]

Congratulations, you won  Second Place  in the  November 2016  round of  [Link To Item #journey] !


WRITTEN FOR:
SURVEY
Journey Through Genres: Official Contest  (E)
Write a short story in the given genre to win big prizes!
#1803133 by Writing.Com Support


WORD COUNT: 2000



Chris Singleton shuffled along the sidewalk toward Lawrence High. He wasn't looking forward to the first day back, but at least this was his final year before graduation next June. Because he hated the boisterous crowds at the main gate, he headed for a shortcut—a gap in the fence beside the sports field. He'd gained a little weight over the summer, so he had to squeeze through and snagged his Comic-Con T-shirt. As he checked for a rip, someone screamed.

He glanced around but saw nobody. Another scream, louder, came from behind a shed. Chris froze. What could he do? He wasn't exactly built like The Rock.

“Help!”

It sounded like a kid. He crept to the corner of the shed and peeked behind. Daniels was standing there—the meanest senior and captain of the football team. With him was a ginger-haired boy who only looked twelve but was likely a fourteen year old freshman. Daniels gripped the boy by his hoodie. Given the bully's size, it looked like a Rottweiler shaking a Chihuahua.

There was no way Chris could take on Daniels, but maybe he would listen to reason. Cursing himself for a fool, he took a deep breath and walked over.

“Hey, Daniels. He's just a kid.”

Daniels grinned. “Well, if it isn't Anime Hamster.”

Chris cringed. He hated that nickname.

Daniels released the boy and faced Chris. “What do you think you're doing here?”

“I heard screams.”

“Aw, isn't that cute. Anime Hamster to the rescue.”

“Daniels, please.”

“P-p-please,” mimicked Daniels. “P-p-please let the iddle boy go.”

“What did he even do?”

Daniels loomed over Chris. “He disrespected me. Called me a jerk.”

“No I didn't,” said the boy. “I called you a douche.”

“Not helping, kid,” muttered Chris.

“I've got an idea,” said Daniels. “Why don't I let the kid go and pound on you instead?”

Chris backed away. “Hey, we both know you can crush me like a bug. Hitting me won't prove anything.”

Daniels cracked his knuckles. “But it'll make me feel better.”

“Fighting never solved any problems.”

“You sound like the nerd in the book my little sister's reading. I think he's got a name like yours too.”

“Colin Singleton?”

“Yeah, that loser.” He smirked.

Chris might be a nerd, but at least he wasn't a coward who only picked on people smaller than himself. He surprised himself by saying, “You should crack the spine of a book someday.”

Daniels spat on the ground. “Why would anyone read a book they didn't have to?”

“You might learn something. If you bothered to read An Abundance of Katherines, you'd discover Colin gets the girl in the end.”

Daniels laughed so hard he choked. “Jeez, Hamster. That's the funniest thing I ever heard.”

Chris seethed, but Daniels was right. Unpopular nerds usually only got girlfriends in stories.

Daniels draped his arm around Chris's shoulder. “Since you've made me laugh and put me in a good mood, I won't trash you. Instead, I'll set you a task.”

“Let me guess. Your math homework?”

“Nah, that'd be too easy.” He squeezed Chris' shoulder. “Let's make a bet, like in those stupid movies. If you get a girlfriend, I'll let you off for today. If you don't… What am I saying? When you can't, your life will become one big wedgie and swirly Hell.”

The boy squared his shoulders. “Hey, he should get something if he wins this bet.”

Daniels smirked. “That's not gonna happen.”

“If you're so confident, why don't you come up with something you'll do if he does?”

Daniels scratched his head. “Yeah, I guess that adds to the fun.” He turned to Chris. “If you get a girlfriend by the end of the month, I'll walk into the cafeteria naked and eat my own jockstrap.” He pulled out his cell. “I'll make that my Facebook status so when you fail everyone knows what a loser you are.”

Chris' shoulders slumped. That jockstrap had no cause for fear. He would almost prefer Daniels hit him rather than this humiliation. Daniels chuckled and marched off, leaving Chris alone with the freshman.

“Gee, thanks for helping,” said Chris in a sarcastic tone, then set off toward the school's main building.

The boy followed. “Hey, what's your real name?”

“Chris.”

“I'm Mike. Listen, I've got a plan.”

He examined Mike skeptically. “What's that?”

“I've got an older sister.”

He sighed. “That's not going to work. If it's your sister, Daniels will figure out I faked it. Besides, I doubt she'd be thrilled about you setting her up with Anime Hamster.”

“Hey, you're no Finnick Odair, but you're no Haymitch either.”

Chris snorted. “So, which Hunger Games character am I?”

Mike was quiet for a minute, then answered, “Cinna.”

“I'm a bit pale for Cinna.”

“No, you don't get it. With Cinna, it's not what he looks like that makes him cool, it's what he creates with his mind and his hands.”

“You're even more of a geek than me.”

Mike chuckled. “Hard to imagine, but I bet you're my sister's type.”

He smiled and shook his head. Mike didn't understand what an outcast Chris was. As they entered the modern glass and concrete building, he pointed to a door. “That's the school office. You can pick up your schedule there.”

“Thanks, man. I won't forget what you did.”



All day Chris thought about what Daniels said. Unless he made like Bill Gates and became the richest man in the world, he'd probably never get laid. His last class was AP Biology, where he was partnered with Miriam Rosenthal. He'd known her since kindergarten. She had acne and hung around with the school band crowd. Maybe she was the one girl he had a chance with. He mulled it over until near the end of class, then decided to act.

“Pass that slide,” said Miriam, leaning over the microscope. “I want to check those cells again.”

“Sure.” As he passed her the specimen, he looked her over. She wasn't runway stunning, but she had a pleasant face, acne aside, and a pleasing aroma of herbal shampoo wafted from her brunette curls. He could do worse. “Miriam?”

“Yeah?”

“Do you think that maybe… someday we could…”

She took her eyes away from the microscope. “Are you asking me out?”

“Er… yeah.”

“Forget it.”

That stung. She didn't have a boyfriend. He leaned closer and whispered, “You do like boys?”

She crossed her arms and glared at him. “So if a girl doesn't want to go out with you, she must be a lesbian?”

“No. Sorry. I didn't mean—”

“Look, Chris. You're a nice guy, and you're not bad looking, but I've read Daniels' tweet. It's gone viral. I don't want to be your girlfriend just so you can win some lame bet.”



Chris trudged from the biology classroom. He was doomed. On the way to the exit, he remembered the art teacher had asked him to drop by her classroom and choose which painting he wanted to enter into this year's state competition. Ever since he'd won that stupid award for the school with his "Harry the Hamsteranime cartoon strip, she'd hoped he might repeat the achievement.

When he entered the art classroom, he stumbled to a halt. Six of his most recent watercolors were displayed on easels, and a girl was examining one. She turned and smiled. He'd seen her somewhere before, but he couldn't remember when or where. She wore glasses, and her red hair was tied back in a ponytail. He glanced behind to see who she'd smiled at, but nobody else was around.

“Hello, Chris.”

Was he imagining things, or did she just speak to him? “H-hi. Do I know you?”

“I'm Mary. I'm a junior, but we met at Miriam's party last year.”

“Oh, yeah.” He chuckled. “You danced on the table.”

She laughed, and her green eyes sparkled. “Oh my God! I can't believe you remembered that.”

“How could I forget?”

She gestured to his paintings. “These all yours?”

“Yeah.”

“Awesome. What inspired you?”

Stepping closer to the nearest easel, he pointed to the single colorful character who stood out against the black and white background. “Have you heard of Scott Pilgrim?”

“Of course.”

“You know how Scott lives in the real world but gets spirited away into a fantasy realm when he fights with Ramona's evil exes. I was going for that feeling.”

“I totally get that. But Scott Pilgrim is printed in black and white.”

“I also admire Banksy's work. His images are mostly monochrome, but he emphasizes important elements with color. Er… sorry. Have you heard of Banksy?”

She moved closer, and her rose-scented perfume teased his nostrils. “You should see my room. It's a Banksy shrine.”

Chris swallowed and tried not to imagine what the inside of Mary's room looked like. It wasn't as if this cute girl actually meant she wanted him in her bedroom.

She stepped over to one of the tables and opened a portfolio. “I wondered…would you mind taking a look?”

He joined her. “You're into art?”

“Yes. Anime is my thing.” She revealed sketches of a girl punching and kicking her way through the world. “I call her Karate Kate. She has a magic kiai so when she simultaneously strikes and screams, her punch has the same power as Bruce Lee's.”

“Like Lydia's banshee wail in Teen Wolf.”

“Exactly. I knew you'd understand.” Mary bit her lip. “So, what do you think?”

“Well…”

“Please, be honest.”

He spent a moment to examine her work. “The concept is wonderful, but the art is…”

“Sketchy?”

“The plot is fantastic, though.”

She blushed. “Thanks!”

“Why haven't I seen your cartoons around the art room before?”

“To be honest, this is the first time I've shared my work with anybody.”

“Really! Why?”

“Well, everyone always goes on about how good Harry the Hamster was, and my cartoons aren't up to that standard. I didn't want anyone to laugh.”

“I understand.”

“Of course you do.” She reached across and squeezed his forearm. “But it's been driving me insane—a million ideas whizzing around my head and not being able to talk about them. That ends today. Who cares if some jerks laugh?”

Chris returned his attention to her cartoon. “What drives your plot?”

“It's not what Kate can do, but what she chooses to do that's important. Like when a firefighter breaks into a burning building to save a baby, it's when Kate puts her life on the line for others that she truly shines.”

“It's a shame real life people are rarely so selfless.”

She nodded, and Chris realized he'd never before talked with anybody who shared so many interests and opinions with himself. It was a shame she was so attractive, otherwise he might have asked her out. But perhaps it was for the best. He'd suffered enough rejection for one day.

The door opened, and Mike entered. “Hey, Sis. What's keeping you? Thought you were going to walk me home.” He noticed Chris. “Hey, man. Good to see you again.”

Mary looked from Mike to Chris. “You know my little brother?”

“He's the guy I told you about over lunch,” said Mike.

She turned to Chris and beamed. “You're the hero who stepped up to save my brother from a beating?”

“Me? I'm no hero.”

“Don't be modest. Say, would you like to come over tonight and see my Banksy posters?”

“Your Banksy posters?”

“Yes, you know.” She winked. “On my bedroom wall.”

Chris' heart pounded.

Mike nudged him and smirked. “I wonder if that douche likes his jockstraps boiled, fried or baked.”



© Copyright 2016 Christopher Roy Denton (robertbaker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2101704-Anime-Hamster