*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2103367-I-wonder-where-my-wife-is
Rated: E · Short Story · Mystery · #2103367
short short about a man missing his wife and a horrid smell from the basement.
I wondered where my wife went. I knew she had to work tonight, but she should be home by now. I wandered aimlessly through the house, for I could not sit still. I heard a car door slam and I wondered who was at the door.
It was my aunt. She seemed to be in distress.
"What is it." I asked her as she approached the porch.
"There is a disgusting smell coming from my basement. I did not go down there because it is just too gut wrenching." I listened to her uninterested in what she had to say.
"Do you know where Sarah is, by chance," I started. "She should be back by now."
"No, but could you come over and see what the smell could be?"
"I suppose, but I really am waiting for my wife."
My aunt always needs something. She seems to make up reasons to get attention. Of course I didn't say that to her. She had long brown hair with matching eyes. Her hair was in a ponytail. I observed her clothing, which were casual with a white blouse and blue jeans. She was average looking.
"Alright lets go to your house and see what it is. I bet you it is nothing." I all of a sudden had this thought. Maybe it is my wife that she is smelling. Did someone kill my wife and put the body in her basement, after all its been three days since I had last seen her.
Sarah, works out of state. She travels for her job as an investigative journalist. I have told her that someday it is going to catch up to her. Maybe that day has come. I pushed the thought out of my mind. I could not help thinking that she is the one smelling up my aunts house. But why there? Oh well, we will see.
When we got to my aunt's house I immediately went down to the basement. The basement smelled horrid. It was a cubicle of an area, with not much room to walk around. My aunt was right. It reeked. I turned on the hanging light. There was a small bathroom that when you stood up on the stoop you could bump your head if you were not careful. That's when I saw it. Looking facing opposite the toilet was a sewer well.
I shone a light down it and saw that the sludge was backed up. I had to use this trough thingy that I had created in order to pull it up. After I emptied it, which needs to be done twice yearly, I let my aunt know what the smell was. She agreed that it smelled horrid. I was so agitated, that when I got home I had forgotten how much I missed my wife. She said “well, you gonna give me a hug or what.” It kicked in then and I gave her the biggest hug ever.
© Copyright 2016 frosty456 (cjii31frosty at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2103367-I-wonder-where-my-wife-is