*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2104295-Control-of-social-media-over-Corruption
by Alka
Rated: E · Article · Other · #2104295
Social media can help curb corruption
ROLE OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY & SOCIAL MEDIA TO FIGHT

Corruption is distortion of form of the system as a whole. It relates to abuse of entrusted power. In other words undue favour for anyone for some monetary gain or other gains is corruption. In India roots of corruption were basically laid by the Foreign Invaders i.e during the British rule the "Divide and Rule Policy" distorted the entire system of honest & pure Indian culture.

Corruption is not uniquely an Indian phenomenon but it is a distortion which has spread all throughout the world in some form or the other. This malpractice is witnessed in developing as well as developed countries. It has spread like an epidemic and its presence has been felt in all fields. This is basically so as the system has been let loose since so many decades and thus this dangerous virus has spread its tentacles throughout the system like cancer that too last stage cancer which can be declared incurable. Had this cancer been detected/given right treatment at the very early stages it would not have taken such dangerous condition so as to infect mankind on the whole. Corruption is rampant in every segment/section of society and no one can be considered free from it. Darkness of the corrupt system has spread so vast that there seems no light at the other end of the tunnel. The simple fact is that people visibly ignored the virus which slowly creeped into the system. Moreover no punishment was ever assigned for such corrupt practices so such crime was constantly on rise without fear of being caught / punished and thus people dared it all.
There are various forms of Corruption which Involves perversion of morality, integrity, character or duty out of mercenary motives i.e. bribery without any right to honour and justice. Depriving of the genuinely deserving from their rights or privilege in any case is a form of corruption. Shirking off/dereliction from ones duties is also a form of being corrupt.
Now as corruption has inflicted the entire system it seems a Herculean task to seek methods to find ways so as to erase it from the system. However, a technology powered bright light called social media can be seen at the end of the tunnel which states that It is more easy to create a new system than to clean a decayed one.
The role of Information Technology through internet is the most powerful weapon through which an effort can be developed. All relevant authorities should be provided with full on technology computer systems with developed soft-wares accordingly in their respective fields. If all sectors/segments of society be provided with a foolproof centralised web based e-system no malpractice can be implied. Introduction of centralised National Information Centre at all public and private places will lead to a clean and clear transparent system which will curb any illegal money movement. In such practice all procedures/information's relating to various fields be provided online and will thus result in saving much time and energy. Public bodies should be required to respond to requests of public within set time periods. Introduction of Information based technology can curb many malpractices in any organisation. All business bodies can stop malpractices by introducing good account based soft-wares so that through proper auditing all balance sheets can be maintained. No scope for illegal persons spreading false rumours to make money will be provided if all information goes public.

The role of social media can act like a pivot around which the citizens of our country rotate. The media together with the government can create a web platform for citizens on the whole to allow the information to be brought forward and empower the community. Social media can contribute towards an anti corrupted society through television serials like Satyamev Jayate, Crime patrol etc. Which guides the society on ways to come out of traditional old systems and also gives message of victory of truth and hard work in a transparent manner over the rotten and corrupt system. Through social media broadcast of true movements like that of Hon'ble PM Shri Narender Modi (Man Ki Baat a Radio Programme)/Anna Hazare's one man fight against corruption created a land mark in the history of the country by reaching each & every corner of both Urban & Rural Independent India. It ignited the light of knowledge in the minds of ignorant public as to what is right & justified. Broadcasting of various scams like that of 2G, Adarsh Society, IPL, Coalgate, etc. Through social media gives a broader platform to the citizens to understand the misappropriations in the working system of the Government. The necessary rules & laws be uploaded and henceforth publicised by social media to the general public so that people get framework of justified life. Lokpals, RTI Act 2005, Right to Education, Children's Rights, Lokadalats, CVCs or Vigilance Commissions be created for speedy, justified, transparent & less cost justices to citizens. Introducing Highly modified technical soft-wares systems at the Railway stations/airports/educational institutions/ hospitals /passport offices / jal-boards / electricity-offices/organisations such as govt. Or semi govt./autonomous bodies/private firms etc. Can dramatically bring an end to illegal money movements thus creating a clean & hassle free transparent system everywhere.

Social networking sites like the twitter, facebook, etc. Can connect the world in fractions of seconds. Internet provides facilities like 24 X7 news at global level. Social media is just getting started and has potential solutions to the challenges of corruption, accountability, finding credible information and many more areas that impact life. Open public sector information enhances social welfare and thus creates good citizens.
Thus through various methods corruption can be curbed. If stringent punishment is given to the corrupt irrespective of his/her social position and side by side honest people are rewarded or honoured we can see a reduction in the same. Whenever more information is available from regulatory authorities online it is more likely to expose illegal acts. The feeling of fear of being public prohibits many false practices. As more information is available online more options are created for better decisions and thus for a good future. Moreover fight against corruption promotes economic opportunity across the globe.

© Copyright 2016 Alka (mishraalka at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2104295-Control-of-social-media-over-Corruption