*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2105464-Nothing-To-Be-Afraid-Of
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2105464
The kid's snowman turns out to be something different.
It was a sunny day after a heavy overnight snow storm.

"Come on," Susan hollered. "This snow is perfect for rolling up. Let's make a snowman!"

The sun had softened the snow. It packed together great.

All the neighborhood kids joined in. In no time at all, two large snow balls made a body, with a smaller one for the head.

"Let's decorate him," Mike suggested.

They started with the face. A carrot would make a good nose. Even after Roger partially broke it, they still used it. Just a hooked nose.

Small pieces of wood became eyes; a little beady but eyes non-the-less. Chex cereal was used to create a mouth; a lot of cavities, and no smile.

An old bed spread was tied around the shoulders to make a cape. Toy hair from an old doll was stuffed under a sloppy hat.

"Gee," Susan said, "he looks more like a snowwoman."

"And with this broom, she could be a witch," Mike added as he stuck an old wooden one into the lower snow ball.

With a loud cackle, the witch launched into flight on her broomstick, chasing after the kids. They scattered in all directions.

Luckily, the witch started to lose speed. The sunny day was raising the temperature above freezing. The witch was starting to drip.

"You're not saved," she snarled. "I'll just fly North where it's colder, and I'll be back to get you all during the next snow storm."

When the kids snickered at her, she got really mad. She swooped at them one last time, and flew away North.

In their science class, the kids had learned about global warming, so they weren't really worried.

© Copyright 2016 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2105464-Nothing-To-Be-Afraid-Of