*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2108515-Good-Luck
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Death · #2108515
What goes around comes around, but who expected this soon? Who expected it this way?
He chuckled as the little girl danced in the yard. Her brand new sky blue dress sparkled in the sunlight as she twirled around and around until she felt sick. Her long brown hair hung over her little shoulders in two braids. Her lips glistened as she giggled, somehow she convinced her mom to let her wear lip-gloss. Her eyes shone with a youthful innocence and her red cheeks glimmered with an adorable laughter.
He sat on the swinging bench on the porch, watching his daughter play while he smoked a cigarette. His bold black shirt matched his dark green blazer and everyone could tell that his wife picked out his outfit for him. His shirt pocket was holding a fake “limited edition” coin, which one of his students gave to for luck when he first started teaching. His hazelnut brown hair barely hung low enough on his face to tickle his cheeks. His metal-rimmed reading glasses sat just in front of the bridge of his nose, in front of his grassy green eyes. He used his feet to just slightly propel himself one the swinging bench. The bottom of his nicest pair of jeans, which his wife also made him wear, brushed the ground as he swung and his black leather loafers were already picking up a little bit of mud from the floor of the porch.
Suddenly, the door creaked open and out walked a beautiful woman in a tight simple black dress. Her dark brown, almost black, hair has been straightened and rests on her tan shoulders. Her fierce hazel eyes were outlined by a little bit of eyeliner and a bold gray smoky eye. Her usually pink lips were coated with a hot red lipstick, and her cheekbones were outlined with a small amount of blush. Her tall shiny black heals clicked on the wooden floor as she walked. The man stared at his wife in amazement, remembering exactly why he fell in love with her almost seven years ago.
“You look amazing,” he said, smiling like a youthful high school boy, picking up his crush for a dance. She chuckled and hugged her husband tightly before looking at him in the eyes and teasing, “Wait ‘til you see what I’m wearing tonight.” He looked at her with excitement and surprise. “It is your birthday, after all,” she stated, walking towards the man’s new Chevy.
“Come on, Sweetie, we’re going to be late for dinner,” he shouted, following his wife. The little girl happily followed her parents and they all piled into the car and drove off.
The young and joyous couple was cheerily singing along to whatever song on the radio that would bring up nostalgia. Their daughter sat in the back seat attempting to sing along with her parents, but sounded more like she was just mumbling the alphabet out of order. The man smiled at his family; he knew that he could never replace these two. As he drove he passed his daughter’s elementary school and the hospital where his wife worked as a nurse. They passed the diner that they went to on their first date and the park where he proposed to her years ago. As they stopped at a red light, he peered to his left and noticed a man stumbling out of a bar, obviously drunk, and getting into his own car. He watched the man turn on his car and thought for a second, thinking that maybe he should offer the man a ride. The man is drunk, he thought, he could hurt himself or someone else. He peered at his watch and noticed that they were already late for their reservation. Good luck, Buddy, he thought, whatever happens to you. Then the light turned green and he drove ahead. Suddenly, just as he barely had gotten into the center of the intersection, crash! Next thing they knew someone had driven right into the passenger side of their car. The force of the crash sent the car flipping and rolling two or three times, until it finally stopped in the shoulder on the opposite side of the street. It took the man a few minutes to regain consciousness and a few more minutes for him to fully process what had just happened. When he finally was able to force himself to move, he immediately turned to check on his wife. Her face was dripping blood from the shards of glass sticking out of her skin. Her dress was soaked in the horrific red liquid.
The battered man rested a bloody hand on her shoulder softly whispering her name, and shook her just slightly, trying to wake her up. Suddenly the realization hit him, that his blood-covered wife was not going to wake up, and tears swelled in his eyes. That’s when he looked in the mirror at their daughter, their adorable little daughter. He spoke into the mirror gently talking to her, waiting for his little girl to flutter her eyes open. Her eyes, however, remained shut and he could see that her own blood stained her dress. “Come on, please…wake up…please just wake up…” he pleaded with both of the girls, but neither moved. That is when he decided to get out of the car and limp towards the other side. As he hobbled to his daughter and wife, he noticed the other car from the crash. The engine of the shiny pale blue smashed car was smoking. Shattered glass surrounded the wreckage, and blood was on the shattered window. He limped to the car; he wanted to see the face of the man who killed his family. As he approached the car, he noticed that he was not the only one who survived this crash. He noticed movement in the driver’s seat and heard a low groan, which normally would sound eerie to any normal man, but it only aggravated him more.
“Help…help me…” the man said when he got close enough. “Please…help me…” The husband and father could smell alcohol on the injured man’s breath, and both men could smell the distinct smell of gasoline leaking from the car. “Please…help…” the man continued to plea, “It's gonna blow….”
Suddenly, he felt a rage inside of him, the man who just killed his wife and daughter was now begging for his help. “No…” he just mumbled. Suddenly the front of the car was in flames and the bloody man staggered back to his own car. “Good luck, Buddy…” he mumbled. He leaned against his totaled car, lighting a cigarette while he watched the wreckage erupt in flames. The man screamed in pain as the fire burned and charred his flesh alive. “…Whatever happens to you.”
© Copyright 2017 Ally Hart (allytheweirdo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2108515-Good-Luck