*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2108830-The-Comet
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2108830
Flash Fiction
The Comet

“Why can’t it be daytime.” Sally whined.

“Well,” Dad offered, “because it’s night. Pretend it’s a game, if you’re not watching at midnight, you can’t win.”

“But I’m so sleepy…”

“Go to sleep, I’ll wake you when it’s time.” Dad heard a chuckle from an older gentleman standing near. Looking up he said, “I guess this is a bit much for a seven-year-old.”

The man smiled, “Maybe she’ll appreciate it more in time. I saw my first comet when I was very young, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve told people about it.”

“Thanks, you’ve made me feel better. I’m Ray, this is Sally.”

“Trent” he said, reaching out to shake Ray’s hand. “I was six when this one came by last.”

“Wow I’m impressed, the same comet? This must be amazing seeing the same one again.”

“It’s more than that. I want to go home; this is my ride.”

Ray was taken aback. Did he mean he was ready to die? Was this man unstable? Suddenly having him near Sally didn’t seem like a good idea.

“You know,” Dad said, “I think I’ll take her to our car to sleep. It was nice to meet you Trent.” Picking Sally up, he walked to the car. But as he waited, he kept an eye on Trent.

Finally, it was time, he woke Sally and they watched the comet with all the others in the open field. It was magnificent! Sally really loved it. By the time Ray remembered him, Trent was gone.

The next day, they talked about it.

“What was your favorite part,” Dad asked.

Sally thought a few seconds and then, “I loved the comet, but I think my favorite part was when Trent turned into little stars and flew up to meet it.”
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2108830-The-Comet