*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/403807-Prom
by Eric
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Romance/Love · #403807
One girl's struggles before Prom and the man who would help her with anything.
The halls of the school were heavily decorated with posters and signs. Some were for different upcoming events, but most were for Prom. Students started to fill the halls as it got closer and closer to the first bell.
Ashley walked in the front doors. Her blond hair fell to her shoulders as the wind let it down. Her brown eyes sparkled as she saw her boyfriend talking to several of their friends.
“Hey Matt,” she said happily.
“Hey babe,” he exclaimed, turning to face her.
Matt kissed her softly on the lips. She saw Robin over Matt’s shoulder, smirking. Robin didn’t like Ashley very much, for she has liked Matt before he even met Ashley. Ashley just smiled at Matt and then started talking to her best friend Sarah as they all started walking.
“You ready for that test first hour,” asked Ashley.
“Test!?!” Sarah looked as Ashley in horror, “I forgot about our test. I hope we do well.”
“Don’t worry,” she said, “I think we will pass it.”
“I hope so,” said Sarah, taking a deep breath.
“Have you seen Rick,” asked Ashley.
“Yes,” replied Sarah, “he went to class to look over some notes.”
“Okay,” said Ashley.
Sarah went to her locker while Ashley entered the classroom.

Rick looked up from his notes at Ashley. His light brown hair was short and his hazel eyes beamed as they fell upon her.
“Hey beautiful,” Rick said, smiling.
Ashley smiled brightly. He always called her beautiful, and it always made her feel special. She took her seat next to him.
“Are you ready for this test,” asked Rick.
“I think so,” said Ashley. “Hey,” she exclaimed, “did you remember my ring.”
“Oh shoot, I knew I forgot something,” he told her.
She thought, “well, I’m going out of town this weekend, so if you’ll hold onto it for me…”
“Sure thing,” he said, turning back to his notes as the bell rang.
A few more students filed in at the last minute as the teacher started to hand out the test.

Ashley poked Rick in the side with a note. It was after the test and they were writing back and forth. Rick took the note from her.
I’m going on a family vacation this weekend, she wrote, wish me luck.
Good luck, Rick wrote back, are you going to Prom with Matt?
Yes, she wrote back in a fleet of glee, it is going to be so much fun.
Rick was slow to write back, I don’t know who I am going to go with.
Go with Megan, Ashley quickly scribbled back to Rick on the paper. She doesn’t have anyone to go with either. You two would make a cute couple. I’ve seen you two hanging out together before. You two would have a lot of fun, even if it were just as friends.
Maybe, Rick wrote back as the bell rang.
Ashley stood up; “she’s in my next hour. I’ll go ahead and tell her if you really want to go with her.”
“Okay,” Rick said reluctantly, “go ahead and tell her.”
Ashley smiled and bounced off merrily. Rick closed his eyes and smiled to himself for a moment then started to turn to go, but as he opened his eyes all he saw was some guy. Rick stumbled backwards, dropping his stuff. The guy pushed him hard against the wall. Rick saw that it was, Patrick, Matt’s best friend and long time enemy of Rick’s. Rick had heard it was because he was more important to Ashley than Matt was. While Matt didn’t really show it, Rick figured he really hated him, but if Matt started a fight with Rick, Ashley would likely leave him.
“Watch where you’re going boy,” Patrick yelled.
Rick’s muscles tensed up as the adrenaline flowed through them. He was ready to lay into Patrick with a fury of punches, but Patrick just turned his back and walked off. Rick calmed down, picked up his stuff, thought about Ashley again, then turned and walked away.

Ashley rushed into her next class practically throwing her stuff onto her desk. Megan looked at Ashley with a scared look. Ashley walked over to Megan and kneeled before her desk.
“Hey,” Ashley said, “you want to go to Prom with Rick.”
Megan gave her a weird look, “sure, why?”
“Because he doesn’t have anyone to go with,” she explained, “and I suggested you since you guys are friends and all.”
“Okay,” Megan replied.
“Great,” Ashley exclaimed and she went and sat down at her desk.

Rick walked into his fourth hour and saw Megan. He needed to talk to her about Ashley. He could have talked to her at lunch, but Rick had gone home to eat so that he could think about what was happening.
He sat down at his desk and turned to Megan, who sat behind him, “I can explain…”
“I’d like it if you would,” she said, “I thought you were going to ask Ashley to Prom.”
“I was, but…” Rick paused, “Ashley is going with Matt and she really wanted me to go with you. So, I figured that since you didn’t have anyone to go with I felt that I should escort you. You are my friend you know.”
“Yes, I know.” She darted her eyes away, not sure what to say next, “thank you.”
Rick smiled, “so, about tonight…”
“It’s still on as far as I know,” Megan said, “the clique is still going to the movies even with Ashley gone.”
“Do I need to pick you up again,” he asked.
“If you don’t mind,” she smiled sweetly at him.
“It’s no problem babe,” he said.

Ashley walked through the doors of the school and into the afternoon sunlight. She was glad to be finally out of there. Ashley wanted to spend sometime with her friends before she had to leave for the trip.
She saw them gathering by Bo’s truck. Bo was Rick’s best friend. They could almost always be seen together. Ashley saw Rick sitting up on the tailgate with his feet on the back bumper. He was laughing with Bo and Dustin, another friend of theirs. Rick looked over at her and smiled friendly, giving a peace sign. She smiled, happy to have such a great life.
Ashley started to walk over to the group when she heard a horn. She turned and saw her father sitting there waiting on her. Ashley got frustrated that her father wouldn’t give her any time to talk to her friends. She walked over to the car and tossed her things in the back seat. She looked back over at Rick who was still watching her. She playfully blew a kiss to him and then got into the car. She looked in the rearview mirror at them and saw Bo hit Rick in the leg.

“Hey man,” Bo said, “let’s go.”
Rick looked down at Bo, “okay.” Rick took another look at Ashley’s car as they drove off and saw her wave over her shoulder. He smiled and hoped off the back of the truck. “Let’s do this.”

Rick pulled his truck into a parking spot outside the movie theater.
Megan unbuckled herself, “is everyone going to be here?”
Everyone except for Ashley, of course,” he told her.
“Yea,” Megan looked away, “it’s too bad she couldn’t be here this weekend.”
Rick looked out his side window thinking about Ashley. He practically loved her like a sister, but deep down he knew there was something else. They had known each other since kindergarten and had grown up together. Their relationship was just never perfect. It always felt that there was apiece missing.
“Is something wrong,” asked Megan. She was the only one who knew how he really felt about Ashley.
“There is everyone else,” Rick said, getting out of the truck.
Megan sat there for a moment. He hadn’t answered her. She knew something serious was up. Megan got out of the truck. Rick was standing there smiling, offering her his arm. She gladly took it and they walked together up to the box office.

The black truck pulled up in front of Megan’s house. Rick put it in park and turned to her.
“Well that was another eventful night,” he said.
Megan nodded, “I wish Ashley could have been here.”
Rick turned, starting out the front window. Ashley’s name was on everybody’s lips tonight as they all missed her presence at the movies. Every time he heard her name it made him think of her. But, he couldn’t have her. He knew that, and that was what broke his heart every time.
Megan turned to look at him; “I haven’t exactly thanked you for being my date for Prom.” She bit her lip, knowing what she wanted to do in her head, but not knowing if she could do it in real life.
“It’s no problem,” Rick said, turning again to look at her.
She saw it, this perfect moment. Something inside of her took control of her body and pushed her forward. Before she knew what she was doing, her lips were pressed against Rick’s. She quickly pulled back, wondering how that suddenly happened.
Rick shook his head slightly. He tried to sort out the sudden events in his head. He remembered thinking about Ashley. Thinking about how it seemed things would never go his way. Life seemed to be against him. The next thing he knew, Megan was right there. Her lips pressed against his, and he forgot about everything… everything except for her.
Megan trembled; afraid she had made the wrong move. Rick was all about Ashley. Ashley was his life. She turned to look out the window. She wondered if she should just get out and walk into her house and pretend it never happened.
Rick started at Megan. “You two would make a cute couple. I’ve seen you two hanging out before,” Ashley’s voice rang in his head. He reached out and his fingers slowly caressed her cheek. She trembled under his touch.
Megan felt his warm fingers dance softly across her cheek. Slowly she turned to look at him and that was when his lips met hers this time.
He slowly pulled away. Opening his eyes to see Megan sitting there smiling.
“See you at school Monday,” she asked as if nothing had happened.
Rick smiled, “of course.”

Ashley sat in the back of the car with her arms crossed, coming back from her weekend trip. She was being forced to break up with Matt. Apparently, her father had heard something and now was making her break up with him. Plus, she could never see him again!
She stared out the window at the passing scenery. She couldn’t wait to get back; she knew who could help her deal with this. Rick was her closest friend. They had grown up together. They had learned to ride bikes together. Shared their first kiss together. She started to wonder why they had never hooked up. Something made them stay just friends. Maybe Rick knew the answer to that.
Why had he never made a move to get with her? She would be an easy target for him. They knew each other so well. They could always talk to the other. Sometimes people did think they were dating just by the way they acted around each other.
Ashley thought about this. As she got deeper into it she realized what it was. On the outside parts of their hearts were just feelings of friends, but deep down she knew that at least she did have more feelings for Rick. She just never had the courage to tell him.

Rick parked his truck and got out. He had just gotten off work and was happy to be finally home. As he walked up to the door, he could see that all the lights were off. As the porch light caught his motion and kicked on he saw Ashley sitting in the rocker, waiting on him.
Her eyes were wet with tears and the first thing she did was jump up and collapse into his arms, crying on his shoulder. He got her to calm down and led her inside.
They entered quietly, not wanting to wake anyone. Then slipped into his room and sat down on his bed.
He held her in his arms as tears still rolled down her cheeks. She breathed heavy from the sheer exhaustion of all the crying she had done.
Her breathing slowly came down and her tears stopped.
“What’s wrong,” asked Rick.
“My dad found out something about Matt,” she explained, “and now I have to break up with him.”
“What did he hear?”
“I don’t know,” she said, “he wouldn’t tell me.”
“Well, no matter what, I will always be here for you,” Rick told her, “always.”
Ashley looked at him and from that sad face came a slight smile. She laid her head back down onto his shoulder; “can I stay here tonight.”
“Sure,” he said, “you are always welcome here.”

Rick lay in bed; his eyes open, looking at the ceiling. He hadn’t slept at all yet. His eyes moved down to the blond head lying on his chest. Ashley had fallen asleep laying on him. Watching over her, he stayed awake. If only she knew how much he really cared for her.
There was a knock on the front door and Rick almost jumped right out of bed, ready to protect Ashley with his life. He heard his mom get up and answer the door. Rick took a deep breath as he recognized the visitor’s voice. It was Ashley’s mom.
The door to his room opened and his mom stood there. Rick looked at her and he could tell she knew what he had to say.
“Rick,” she said softly.
Rick closed his eyes and just mouthed the word, “please.”
His mom shut the door and he heard more conversation. He just kept his eyes closed wondering what was happening, praying he would still be there for Ashley when she woke up.
Then he heard the door open again. He opened his eyes to see who it was.
Ashley’s mom stood in the doorway. She just stared at them for awhile. Rick wondered what she was thinking. He wondered if she was going to take Ashley away from him also.
She dropped some clothes on the floor.
“Thank you,” Rick said softly.
“I trust you,” she said, “take care of her.”
Rick looked down at Ashley as she stirred slightly. He brushed some hair away from her face, “I will.”
Without another word, Ashley’s mom shut the door. Rick heard her say something to his mom and then leave.
Rick kissed the top of Ashley’s head softly, and then wrapped his arms around her gently. She was safe, now he could sleep.

Rick and Ashley walked into the school together and almost immediately people started giving them looks.
“I wonder what is up,” Ashley said.
“I don’t know,” Rick said.
“Hey,” Ashley said to some people she knew. But they only turned their backs on her without a word.
Rick put his arm around her shoulders, trying to protect her from the harsh feelings that where coming their way.
They walked up to their clique of friends.
“What’s going on,” Rick asked them.
“You two have fun last night,” Dustin asked.
Rick raised an eyebrow.
Megan hit Dustin and then turned to Rick and Ashley; “Matt started a rumor that you and Ashley slept together last night.”
“WHAT,” Ashley yelled.
“So, now everybody thinks of Ashley as a slut.”
“Oh my god, why,” Rick asked, as he pulled Ashley closer, the tears starting to roll down her face.
Bo interjected before Megan could say anything; “word is that Ashley’s dad called Matt last night looking for her. Her dad then told him off and told him to stay away. Matt probably figured that she would go running to you, and made up a story to get back at Ashley.”
Megan reached out for the trembling hand of Ashley. Rick pulled his arm from around Ashley and let Megan take her away to somewhere private.
After they left, Rick started talking, “all of you know Ashley is not a slut. Yes, she was with me last night because she was crying over having to break up with Matt. Ashley is a good girl and we, as her friends, need to help her.”
“Of course,” said Sarah.
“For her,” Dustin added.
“What can we do,” asked Bo.
“I want you all to go around and make sure everyone knows the true story,” Rick told them, “I am going after Matt.”
Bo interjected, “I’m going with you.”
“Okay,” Rick nodded, “I might need your help.”

Rick, Bo, and Dustin went looking for Matt as the girls made sure the story was straight among the groups of people.
As the boys entered the locker area, they saw Matt.
“If it isn’t the man of all the gossip,” Matt said.
Rick grabbed him by the shirt and slammed him against the wall, “where do you get off starting rumors about Ashley?”
Matt laughed, “truth hurts, doesn’t it?”
Rick pulled Matt from the wall and slammed him back into it. Matt was a little bigger than Rick. He stood over him with a six two height over Rick’s five eleven. Matt was more athletic than Rick also; his muscles bulged under his shirt. At this moment, Rick didn’t care about any of it. He was going to stick up for Ashley.
Patrick started to advance on Rick when Dustin stepped between them, “where do you think you are going?”
“This is between you and me, Rick hissed between his teeth, “now tell me.”
Matt started laughing, and Rick reared back a fist, ready to hit him.
“Teacher,” Bo said, as he saw one working her way through the crowd of students.
Rick unclenched his fist and pointed a finger right into Matt’s face. “I’m watching you,” he said, “just remember that.”
Rick let go of him and the three of them walked off.
Rick muttered, “what are we going to do?”

Rick walked into his first hour class. Ashley was sitting in her desk, eyes wet from crying. She was calm at the moment, staring at the floor blankly. Megan sat by her quietly.
Rick sat down in the desk behind Ashley. “You can go to class Megan,” he said softly, “I don’t want you to be late.”
Megan nodded, and without saying a word she left. Rick started rubbing Ashley’s back gently with his right hand.
“Why,” she said through trembling lips, “why would he do this to me?”
Rick didn’t know what to say. He couldn’t protect her anymore. The damage had been done.
Ashley spoke softly; “I’m not going to Prom.”
Rick looked down at the floor. He wanted to say, “I’ll take you,” “Come with me,” “Let me be your date,” anything that would have him taking her to Prom. Megan... that was what was stopping him. He had already said he was going to go with her. Plus, they hadn’t had time to talk about what happened Friday night between them.
“I hope you and Megan have a good time,” she said sadly.
Rick was silent. It hurt him to see her like this, for her to say such words that pierced his heart. The bell rang and the teacher started class. Now he was forced to watch her sad face in silence.

Class ended and Ashley left before Rick could even get his stuff together. As he walked out the door he saw Megan.
“I just saw Ashley,” she told him. “Is she still sad about Matt?”
“I don’t know, she was talking about Prom,” he told her.
Megan nodded, “you should take her.
“What about you?”
“I wasn’t going to go with anyone until Ashley decided to have us go together,” she explained. “Take her, you know you want to.”
“What about,” Rick started to say when Megan cut him off.
“Us,” she asked. “Don’t worry about us. You should take Ashley. This is her dream.”
“Yea,” Rick said, “we promised if one didn’t have someone to go with… darn it.”
“Are you going to keep that promise and be her date when she has no one else,” Megan asked him.
“I wouldn’t think that after all this she would want to go at all,” he told her.
“She would want to go with you,” Megan said softly.
“I’ll think about it,” Rick said, then turned and walked off.

Four days passed and Rick hadn’t given Megan an answer on what he was going to do. Rick had skipped school the day of Prom and she wondered what was going on. She went home and called him up.

“What’s happening,” Megan yelled at him.
“Calm down,” Rick said.
“Well,” Megan said impatiently, “what are you doing?
“Be ready for the Prom of your life,” he said happily.
“So…” she said questionably.
“You’ll see what is going to happen in a little bit,” he said. “Just be ready.”
“Fine,” Megan said, frustrated, “bye.”

The phone rang at Ashley’s house. She lay on the couch in a T-shirt and boxers, watching TV. Her mom walked in.
“The phone is for you,” her mom said. “It’s Rick.”
Ashley picked up the phone next to her, “hello.”
“Hey beautiful,” Rick said on the other end, “how’s my girl?”
“Bored,” she said solemnly.
“Bored,” he replied, “shouldn’t you be getting ready?”
“I told you I’m not going,” she said bluntly, “I have no reason to.”
“I found someone for you to go with,” Rick said.
“I don’t…” she started.
“Trust me,” Rick cut in, “you’ll like him.”
Ashley reluctantly gave in, “okay… for you.”
“See you at eight,” he said, and hung up.

It was getting close to time for Prom to start and Megan decided Rick wasn’t coming.
She was walking out to her car when a sleek, black limo pulled up in front of her house. As it stopped, Rick popped up through the sunroof.
“Am I late,” Rick said smiling.
“What do you think you are doing,” she yelled.
“Making this the best night of our lives,” Rick said, “get in.”

Ashley looked out the window as a car passed by. She took a deep breath and looked back at the TV. The doorbell rang and she jumped up answering it quickly, not sure what to expect.
Rick stood there with a rose in his hand. He smiled, “are you ready princess?”
“Princess,” she smiled.
“Yes, tonight is your night to have the time of your life.”
“But, what about my date… you said you had you had someone,” she mumbled.
“Ashley,” he said slowly, “I have something to confess.”
Ashley looked like she was about to cry again.
Rick reached a hand up, brushing a stray hair back into place. “I’m here for you.”
“You…”
“Yes,” Rick said. “I’ve liked you for a long time and it is about time you knew it.”
“What about Megan, I thought you two were hooking up or something,” Ashley asked.
“She’s out in the limo,” Rick told her, “let’s go.”
“Limo,” Ashley yelled as Rick turned and started walking. She rushed after him.
“Don’t rush,” he said, stopping and offering his arm, “take your time and enjoy the night.”

All three of them walked into Prom together. Most of the students were already there. Loud music and flashy lights filled the room. Megan slipped off to talk to some friends and let everyone know they were here. She couldn’t stop talking in the limo about how everybody in the clique would be happy to see Ashley there.
“Here it is,” said Rick, “the night to remember.”
“Yea,” came a female voice, “for the slut and her pimp.” Robin walked out from behind them smiling. She was Matt’s girlfriend now and she seemed to love rubbing it in Ashley’s face. Robin turned her back on them, but Ashley stomped on the back of her dress. It tore at the waistline and fell to the floor. Rick started to laugh as Robin screamed, gathered up the dress and ran out of the room.
“That was bad,” Rick said.
“Not as bad as I am going to mess up your face,” Rick heard as he was pushed from behind. He recognized it as Matt’s voice.
“Oh yea,” Rick said calmly.
“Leave him alone,” he heard Ashley yell.
“Shut up,” yelled Matt.
Rick turned around just in time to see Matt backhand Ashley across the face, knocking her to the ground.
Rick clenched a fist, his muscles tensed as the adrenaline pumped through them. He waited for Matt to turn back. Their eyes met and he saw Matt’s go wide as he realized what was happening. Before he could do anything though, Rick swung hard.
All he heard was a crack and saw Matt tumble to the floor. As his head snapped back up Rick saw the blood trickle from his nose. Rick was waiting for the next move when a teacher walked up on the scene.
“What is going on over here,” the young male teacher said.
“Just taking care of some business,” Rick said.
Ashley slowly got up, “Matt hit me and Rick was just protecting me.”
The teacher looked at Matt, “I see.”
“Hey,” Matt yelled.
“You two go have fun,” the teacher told Rick and Ashley, “I’ll take care of this.”
They turned to walk onto the dance floor and realized everyone had stopped to watch what was going on. Rick froze wondering what was going on. That was when everyone started cheering. Rick smiled as he led Ashley onto the dance floor and started dancing with everyone else.

It was nearing the end of the night. Couples were separating off to spend their last moments for the night together. Others left a little early. While some just partied like it would last forever.
Rick walked through the crowd looking for Megan because she had said she wanted the next dance with him. He finally found her hiding back in a corner.
“What are you doing back here,” asked Rick.
“Watching everyone dance,” she said.
“Well, come on out, you said you wanted the next dance and the night is almost over.”
Megan started to take his hand when the DJ announced that it was the last song for the night and to find that someone special.
“You coming,” asked Rick.
“It’s the last dance,” Megan said, “go find Ashley.”
Rick looked at her, “are you sure?”
“Yea,” she said laughing. “I want to see you two together Monday at school. You’ll make a great couple.”
“Okay,” he said, kissing her on the cheek. “There will be an after party at my house, I’ll see you there.” Rick then turned and went looking for Ashley.

Ashley stood, watching all the couples dance to “Time of My Life.” She sighed, wishing she had someone to share this moment with. That was when she heard a voice behind her.
“Hey beautiful,” came a male voice.
Ashley spun around and threw her arms around Rick’s neck. She pulled him close.
“Okay,” he said, “I know you love me already. Let’s go dance.”
They walked out onto the dance floor together. Ashley wrapped her arms around his neck again and laid her head on his shoulder while Rick put his arms around her waist and rocked her gently.
This was the moment that both had wanted and waited for… the moment when everything was perfect. The world just disappeared around them. It was just the two of them, in the middle of the floor, together.
Ashley lifted her head off his shoulder and looked into his eyes.
“Can I stay tonight,” she asked.
“You’ll always have a place with me,” he told her.
As the music ended, and the world started to come back to them, she pressed her lips to his in a deep, passionate kiss.
© Copyright 2002 Eric (ericmcc at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/403807-Prom