*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/423119-Chapter-11---Her-Family
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Emotional · #423119
Erick meets Crystal's family, and her mother learns a lesson.
Chapter 11 - Her Family



         The three weeks between that Sunday and the week of the wedding flew by, just as they do for any couple. The wedding preparations took most of that time, especially arranging time off for Erick, and John Stamper, his high school classmate and Best Man. The others were the typical problems that come with any wedding. The dresses for Crystal, her mom and Bonnie Robinson, Crystal’s high school chum and maid of honor, tuxes for Erick, her dad and John, flowers for the Sanctuary, and, of course, the invitations.

         The day after they found out from Pastor Markham that the church in Sarasota was a go, Crystal called Sandra and her family.

         ”Hello?”

         ”Is this Sandra?” Crystal asked excitedly. She thought she remembered the sound of her voice, but decided not to embarrass Sandra’s mom, or herself is she was wrong.

         ”Yes, who’s this?”

         ”It’s Crystal. From McDonald’s. Remember?”

         ”Oh, yeah! Hi! Is the wedding all set?”

         ”You bet it is!” Crystal all but shouted.

         ”Can you wait just a second? I’ll get mom on the other phone. She can write things down while you tell us.”

         ”Sure, Sandra, glad to!” In the background, Crystal heard Sandra’s excitement. “Hey, mom! Pick up the phone, will you? It’s Crystal! About the wedding! Crystal?” Sandra asked as she turned back to the phone.

         ”Yes, Sandra?”

         ”Mom’ll be right here. She’s running in from the yard. She’s as excited as I am. God, it’s great to hear from you. How are you?”

         ”Hi, Crystal, it’s Gloria,” Sandra’s mom said as she picked up the extension. How are you?”

         ”I’m fine, you two. How are you doing?”

         ”I’m doing just fine, Crystal, thanks to you and Erick!” Sandra shouted. Crystal choked up at those wonderful words of praise, and she knew once again she was right to take that job at the church. She swallowed hard, and tried her best to get her cheerful tone back. Didn’t want to spoil Sandra’s great mood and have to explain what she was feeling, even if it was a good feeling.

         ”You sound like it,” Crystal laughed. “I’m glad to hear you're laughing now. Keep that up. You’ll do fine.”

         ”Thanks! If you can do it, I sure can!”

         Crystal choked again. “This great kid’s gonna make me cry yet,” she thought warmly to herself. ”Now that’s the determination I want you to keep! No matter what. Will you try and do that for me?”

         ”You bet!”

         ”Okay, you two, Gloria cut in with a chuckle. Can I get the directions, Crystal?”

         ”Yep. Ready?”

         ”Let’s have ‘em!” Sandra piped up. They all laughed.

         ”2:00 P.M. Saturday, October 16th, at Concord Assembly of God in Sarasota. I don’t have the address in front of me.”

         ”That’s OK, we’ll get it out of the book,” Gloria said. “And the timing is perfect by the way. We’re leaving here tomorrow, and will be staying only an hour from Sarasota.”

         If you guys can get there a little early that day, or touch base with us while you’re at the church, our minister would like to meet all of you.”

         ”You’re kidding!” Sandra chirped, still filled with excitement . “Why?”

         ”We told him about what happened at McDonald’s, and how much we enjoyed talking to you guys, and he said he’d like to meet you and shake your hand. Okay?”

         ”Mom?” asked Sandra quickly. “Can we? Please?”

         ”I don’t see why not, honey,” Gloria said. We’ll be sure and get in touch with you at the church.”

         ”Great!” Crystal and Sandra shouted together. That got another laugh from all three of them.

         After shooting the breeze for a few more minutes, they said goodbye so Sandra could finish packing and Crystal could finish her checklist.



         Erick and Crystal arrived in Sarasota a week before the wedding because they still had to get the marriage license. Staying with her family in a nearby town gave all of them a chance to get to know Erick. There was only one thing that Erick and Crystal hadn’t thought about in advance.

         ”By the way, mom. We won’t have any problem with sleeping space for Erick. He and I will share my room. We sleep together at home anyway,” Crystal said the first night, at dinner. She immediately realized her bad choice of words.

         ”Before the wedding?! Not in my house you won’t!” Crystal noticed her mom was being firm but was not angry.

         ”Mom, Erick and I have everything down to a science now as far as taking care of me. We’re like a well-oiled machine. Besides,” she said, looking lovingly at Erick, “I’ve gotten too used to having him next to me to do it any other way. Please.”

         ”But what about tra…”

         Crystal knew her mom was going to say ‘tradition’. Her parents were said to revere it. But before mom could finish her sentence, they all heard, “Helen, I’m as big a believer in tradition as you are. You know that. But Crystal’s situation is anything but traditional. If she had both arms and legs, I’d agree with you, and she probably would too. But under these circumstances I think our daughter’s happiness, security and peace of mind take precedence. Besides- she’s nervous enough now with the wedding and all. We don’t need to be adding to her concerns. You two can use your normal routine,” Al said, turning to the couple.

         ”Honey, take me over to dad a second, please.”

         Erick got up and wheeled her around to the head of the table. “Lean over, dad,” she said affectionately. When Al complied, Crystal kissed his cheek. “Thanks, dad. I love you.” She smiled widely as Erick wheeled her back to her seat at the table.

         ”You’re welcome, sweetheart,” he said warmly. Looking at Helen, he noticed a slightly disappointed look. He knew her belief in tradition also meant he was head of the house, and that she would not argue his decision. He also knew she’d get over the disappointment as the wedding day got closer. Because she was also a very typical mother, and woman about such things.

         They stayed at the table a little while longer in conversation. Al and Helen wanted to hear all about how school was going, and if the two lovebirds still felt the same way now that they’d actually seen each other and had time together. “Believe it or not, dad, Erick and I fall more in love every day,” Crystal said warmly, looking at Erick.

         ”And I’m only beginning to find out how special this girl really is,” Erick responded.

         ”Well, I guess that concern is certainly settled,” Al laughed.



         Later, in her bedroom, Erick and Crystal were just starting to unpack their suitcases. As Al and Helen reached the doorway, they saw Erick lay Crystal’s suitcase on the bed next to her and open it. “Okay, darling, time to earn your keep,” he laughed. “You take your clothes out of the suitcase and put them in that drawer, and I’ll put mine in the one on this side. Then we’ll organize them.”

         ”Okay, honey.”

         ”Why should she have to do that?” Helen asked a bit sharply. “I thought you said he was taking care of you, honey.”

         Twice in less than an hour from her mother was too much for Crystal. “Mom, listen to me!” she snapped. Helen and Al both froze, surprised at her tone. “Erick is taking care of me in ways I don’t even realize until he does them. He’s thinking ahead for my future more than I ever could hope for. Look,” she said, beginning to calm down now, “my left arm has to be stronger than it is. Because it will have to make up for the things my new right arm can’t do. Erick knew that from the start. He’s used every daily activity he can think of, right from the airport when he picked me up, to strengthen it for me. He even had me pull that wheeled suitcase of mine right from the moment we picked it up at the luggage rack. And that’s why I’m doing this now,” she said, pointing to the suitcase. “Anything to strengthen the arm so it will be ready when I really need it.” She looked lovingly at Erick. “God, I love you, darling! Thanks so very much for thinking ahead for me.” She looked at her parents.

         ”Helen, I think you now owe them two apologies, don’t you?” Al asked firmly. Helen looked at the floor.

         ”Yes, I do,” she began, having difficulty looking at Erick and Crystal. “I’m sorry for what I said downstairs. Dad’s right, honey. You’re under enough stress already. With dealing with your arm and leg, and then the wedding. I didn’t need to add to it. And then jumping to conclusions here didn’t help any,” she said, gesturing toward the suitcase. I’m… sorry. Really.”

         ”Thanks, Helen, that means a lot right now,” Erick said.

         ”C’mere, mom,” Crystal said lovingly. Helen walked over to Crystal’s chair and leaned down. They shared a firm hug. “I love you, mom.”

         ”I love you, too, honey. Thanks, Erick,” she said as she hugged him. “For understanding, and for taking such good care of my little girl. Now that I understand how you guys do it, I can see why it’s so important to you.”

         ”Now that we’ve got that settled,” Crystal began warmly, “will you two excuse us so Erick can change my clothes? I want to put on something more comfortable.”

         ”Sure we will,” Helen smiled. “C’mon, Al, let’s leave these lovebirds alone for a while.” All four of them laughed, enjoying Helen’s new way of admitting her mistakes.



         That evening, and the next four days, were spent in wonderful family gatherings, with Crystal introducing Erick to all her cousins, aunts, uncles, and other relatives. And every time, she got three comments more than any others. They’d wonder about Erick’s age, then apologize when they found out he’s the reason she’s so happy. And that third comment? Surprised thoughts when Crystal would brag, again, about how well Erick takes care of her and thinks ahead for her future.

         After the whirlwind week of final preparation, their wedding day finally arrived.





 Chapter 12: Wedding Day Preparations  (13+)
The last-minute hassles. Are theirs any different?
#423862 by Incurable Romantic


© Copyright 2002 Incurable Romantic (jwilliamson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/423119-Chapter-11---Her-Family