*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/530464-Labour-in-Vain
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Tragedy · #530464
We never know what a day can bring.
LABOUR IN VAIN


“John, where are you going? We have to talk about this.”

         John looked into the tear stained face of his wife, his stomach churning with the most noxious cocktail of emotions he'd ever experienced.

         “There’s something I need to do, we’ll discuss it later.” John hurried down the path and climbed into his green Vauxhall Vectra.

         Still reeling from the shock, John’s trembling fingers turned on the ignition. God, what a mess. When his wife had told him that tests confirmed she had developed AIDS as a result of a blood transfusion she received during a routine operation John had quickly cast aside the implications for himself. Instead, images of Jayne, the pretty typist he had seduced at the Christmas office party had filled his head. It had been just a bit of fun; a one nighter and John had secretly been slightly relieved when she left the company a few months later. But, she must be told about this, it was his responsibility. He set off at speed, heart racing, thoughts spiralling, heading back to the office. He prayed her records would give a forwarding address.


“Make that another double, and drinks all round,” Steve slurred to the landlord of his local.

         “You celebrating something Steve?”

         “Yep. Wife’s gone into labour; I’m wetting the baby’s head prematurely before I go to watch the birth. Dutch courage, mate.”

         Steve knocked back the whisky then screwed up his eyes in an attempt to look at his watch.

         “Christ, I better set off, she’ll have me castrated if I miss it all.” Steve staggered from his bar stool.

         “You can’t drive in that state, Steve. It’s pretty slack in here tonight; I’ll leave the wife in charge and run you over to the hospital.

         “Thanks mate, you’re a star.” Steve handed over the keys to his Mondeo and headed out of the pub unsteadily.

         “You’ll have to direct me Steve,” the landlord said, driving the Mondeo out of the car park and onto the main road.

         “Er, turn left here,” Steve replied in a rather subdued voice. The landlord glanced at his passenger; even in the fading light he could tell Steve’s face had taken on the pallor of someone about to throw up.

         “Right now,” Steve managed just before vomiting onto the dashboard causing the landlord to swerve as he took the corner.

         The speeding green Vectra approaching in the opposite direction collided head on with the Mondeo killing all three victims on impact.

         As each took their last breath, Jayne let out an agonising scream as her baby entered the world and took its first.

         Jayne smiled, her eyes filling with tears as her son was placed in her arms. Pride and joy enveloped her, for right now she was oblivious to the fact that not only was her son fatherless but was already carrying the H.I.V virus.

© Copyright 2002 Scarlett (scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/530464-Labour-in-Vain